QB gas milage question

QB gas milage question

May 15th, 2012, 12:06 am #1

I'm new to the whole QB thing, having picked up a .22 2078A in trade at Findlay a few weeks ago. I'm getting just about 70 shots out of two carts before velocity begins to fall off. This is at 75 degrees in the basement, with no sun. Is this good, bad, or average? I have no idea if the gun is stock or massaged.

Overall, Im pretty impressed with the gun. Accuracy at 7 yds seems worthy of the match sights. It will continually put them in the same hole if I'm on my game.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

May 15th, 2012, 12:11 am #2

May 15th, 2012, 1:00 am #3

I'm new to the whole QB thing, having picked up a .22 2078A in trade at Findlay a few weeks ago. I'm getting just about 70 shots out of two carts before velocity begins to fall off. This is at 75 degrees in the basement, with no sun. Is this good, bad, or average? I have no idea if the gun is stock or massaged.

Overall, Im pretty impressed with the gun. Accuracy at 7 yds seems worthy of the match sights. It will continually put them in the same hole if I'm on my game.

..am sure it is shooting slower than many, but for the use you are using it for, that shot count is plus.

May 15th, 2012, 3:46 am #4

If it was, I picked up the QB79 he had next to it and it was stock.....until I modified it. Would go on a limb to say it was in the same boat as far as being stock at the show...

You got lucky if you didn't need to do any work to it. Mine needed new seals, and the 3.5oz tank needed a new valve. Otherwise it is a slick and accurate rifle...my first exposure to QB's too. It is a real tack driver, and has lots of power.

May 15th, 2012, 6:34 am #5

I never shoot mine w/ carts, but get about 55-60 shots on an average bulk fill. Carts are supposed to provide more shots.

If you're shooting a lot and already have a paintball tank, bulk fill might be a worthwhile long term option.

May 15th, 2012, 12:25 pm #6

I'd say that your gas mileage is great! I normally find about 50 shots is an average number for a QB78-family air rifle in stock condition before the muzzle velocity drops enough to change the point of impact significantly (maybe 60 shots for a .177 caliber model).

Of course - as Steve pointed out - if an HDD is fitted to your air rifle, that would make a significant improvement on stock performance.

Stephen Archer
Archer Airguns Inc.
Online stores http://www.archerairguns.com
http://www.archerpelletguns.com
Videos http://www.youtube.com/ArcherAirguns
Blog http://www.archerairguns.info

May 15th, 2012, 1:02 pm #7

If it was, I picked up the QB79 he had next to it and it was stock.....until I modified it. Would go on a limb to say it was in the same boat as far as being stock at the show...

You got lucky if you didn't need to do any work to it. Mine needed new seals, and the 3.5oz tank needed a new valve. Otherwise it is a slick and accurate rifle...my first exposure to QB's too. It is a real tack driver, and has lots of power.
The one with the repaired wrist break.

The only thing I had to do other than cosmetics was mess with the trigger. One of the adjustment screws was backed out so far it did nothing.

So far, I'm quite pleased. I'll probably bulk it to save $.

May 16th, 2012, 3:57 am #8

Almost selected your gun liked the target stock, but opted for the tanker to save money too...Glad to see it is getting a great shot count
Last edited by dhaf177 on May 16th, 2012, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 19th, 2012, 11:54 pm #9

I just spent some time in the back yard, at about 28 yds, and the damn thing hits like a target rifle. I'm pleased! to say the least. Trigger is nice, accuracy is surprizing. I'm still shooting Walmart Crosman hollowpoints. So far, so good.

May 29th, 2012, 4:30 pm #10

in my son qb but its modified a bit... without the Hdd I bet I woudl not get much more then 22-24 shoots....

but it is a little hot as it does 775 FPS /w 14.3's on low to mid 80's day, did 720 FPS with 18.1 JSB's on the same day.

Bruce