QB-79 Questions

QB-79 Questions

June 27th, 2012, 6:29 pm #1

Anyone here have a Mike Mileck QB-79 they use to squirrel hunt with.. Im thinking of ordering a fully tuned .22 QB run off paintball tank from him and would like some input on them as far as squirrel hunting with one, Im in Indiana so temp. wont be a problem for the 1st 3 months of the season..
Any pics of you of your guns/squirrel kills would be great..
Last edited by dbowling on June 27th, 2012, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2012, 7:40 pm #2

and I think anything Mike touches is gonna be good...

I just ordered my 6th rifle from him yesterday.....

I also have a QB78 in .22 from him...it shoots at around 650fps and puts them in one ragged hole at 60feet.....

With the 79 I have taken a few sqweeks at 25 and 30 yards and it did real well, no problems at all...I have a BSA 3x9x40AO mil-dot on it and it is just fine.

I have been using the Airsource 3 ounce carts that I put a foster fitting on...it feels better to me than the big 9 ounce bottle, but thats just me...the 9 ouncer works just fine...

have fun, you wont do better than an MM rifle....

June 27th, 2012, 10:01 pm #3

Anyone here have a Mike Mileck QB-79 they use to squirrel hunt with.. Im thinking of ordering a fully tuned .22 QB run off paintball tank from him and would like some input on them as far as squirrel hunting with one, Im in Indiana so temp. wont be a problem for the 1st 3 months of the season..
... squirrels and rabbits when I am sitting in a stand with my boys. Mine isn't professionally tuned but has more than enough poo-poo for critters.

June 28th, 2012, 1:08 am #4

Im debating on the QB-79 or having my open sight RWS 48 tuned for hunting, Ive got a tuned 48 w/a scope that shoots really good but want to try hunting with open sights, I can actually see the sights on a 48 good and it shoots Kodiaks very well...I just like the idea of not having to try the 48 quietly while having a squirrel in the tree close to me...plus the QB can remain cocked/loaded all day if needed..thanks for the respones.

June 28th, 2012, 2:22 am #5

I love what Mike did for this gun. When I first bought my qb79 I put a xp bolt in it. JSB 15.9 shot 500FPS (8.82FPE)on co2. I shot a squirrel at 25yds, but it ran off and I had to shoot it again to put it out of its missery. I felt that 9FPE is way under powered. I also did not like the inconsistancy of co2.

I then put a ninja 13cc HPA tank at 1100PSI. (output 950 to 1100PSI) This bumped me up to 615FPS (13.35FPE) I shot another squirrel at about the same distance. same results. Underpowered.

I then sent my gun to Mike. Great turn around and great service. I get a ton of shots (100 or better with no POI change) at 747FPS (19.86FPE) Killed 3 squirrels at 30 to 35 yrds instant kills. Also, this gun is a tack driver. Can hit a 1/8" dot at 20 yrds all day long. I would like to get another 50FPS with a 15.9gr pellet, however, this is working pretty good.

I know you are looking at co2, but you can always get it tuned and add a HPA tank later. I like my MM tuned qb79 better than my Disco for shot count alone.

Note: Until Mike tuned this gun, I would not recommend it for hunting at all.

June 28th, 2012, 5:55 am #6

for the front,and start to enjoy what shooting a pcp is all about.My QB was done by some one else,and it's one of the best air guns I have! I had a QB78 that was tuned,and I bulk filled it.It was good for the warm months,but as soon as it got cold out the poor thing wasn't worth anything.I'm in Chgo.Hgts.45miles from the city,and 7miles from the IN. border so you'll have the same problem I had.Cold weather!!! The first couple shots out of the house were good,but when you chase your quarry for a shot out side,and the gun gets cold,it's useless.The pellets bounce off,or don't penetrate.I sold it used the money to get the QB79 from Rich in Mich,and that was the best thing I ever did!! Swiched to HPA NO DEVIATION in shot velocity even after 45 minutes to an hour out in the cold! Now that's what I'm talking about.The only other gun that I have that keeps it's velocity in the cold is my LE 392 ACP Scot Laughlin made up for me.I dumped all my CO poo ,that's what I call them because they aren't worth a crap when winter hits,and unless your roading in a warm car your going to be very disappointed with their performance!Spend the money for the HPA conversion,buy a Benji.hand pump,and your good to go.No more wondering how many shots I took,will there be enough gas for my next shot. With the HPA you get more shots per fill,and a gauge to let you know exactly how much air you have left for your next shot. That's MHO.

June 28th, 2012, 12:11 pm #7

HPA sounds like a good way to go, Ive owned a few pcps, Careers and a Titan Manitou which I should of never sold...might take this route just didnt really want to get back into the airtanks, pumps etc.. in the fall/winter Im bowhunting so dont mess with my guns much then anyway..this gun is going to be a dedicated squirrel gun, Mike said he could get 700 fps or better with c02...can it be tuned for HPA and still use co2 while maintaing velocity enough to kill squirrels at 30-35 yds..

June 28th, 2012, 1:47 pm #8

Im debating on the QB-79 or having my open sight RWS 48 tuned for hunting, Ive got a tuned 48 w/a scope that shoots really good but want to try hunting with open sights, I can actually see the sights on a 48 good and it shoots Kodiaks very well...I just like the idea of not having to try the 48 quietly while having a squirrel in the tree close to me...plus the QB can remain cocked/loaded all day if needed..thanks for the respones.
... because I never shot it anymore, the weight and shot cycle of the QB can spoil you.

Also, in the winter here I run a 13ci Ninja HPA bottle regulated at 1100PSI. With a some valve work and a home tune I get about 735FPS with JSB 18.1s for 60+ shots on a full fill.

June 28th, 2012, 5:46 pm #9

your getting 21FPE with that pellet. that would solve my want for over 20FPE. What FPS do you get with 15.9

June 28th, 2012, 6:30 pm #10

HPA sounds like a good way to go, Ive owned a few pcps, Careers and a Titan Manitou which I should of never sold...might take this route just didnt really want to get back into the airtanks, pumps etc.. in the fall/winter Im bowhunting so dont mess with my guns much then anyway..this gun is going to be a dedicated squirrel gun, Mike said he could get 700 fps or better with c02...can it be tuned for HPA and still use co2 while maintaing velocity enough to kill squirrels at 30-35 yds..
decided Im going to go the HPA route, Amazon has the Ninja 13 ci tanks for 59.00 free sh. is that a decent price? Besides the Benji pump will I need anything else to fill gun, also could I buy one of the bigger compressed air bottles and pump it up and use it too fill the gun or would it just be easier to pump the gun up each time... how many pumps does it take to fill a 13 ci tank to 1100 psi..thanks for all the help guys.