purpose of HFT is to allow folks to shoot FT

purpose of HFT is to allow folks to shoot FT

September 14th, 2011, 4:56 am #1

<p>using the gear they would hunt with?</p><p>I take it the idea is to reduce the cost of admission to encourage more participation?</p><p> </p>

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

September 14th, 2011, 5:25 am #2

It's equipment parameters were to provide a sporter type venue with less of an "Arms Race" attatched to be competetive and it also accomadated a shooting style that was more user friendly to the less limber participants of the sport.

I don't know which was the chicken or the egg but it has taken on a momentum of its own and is gaining in popularity. I've been curious to see if the HFT class out-numbers the others at the Nationals this year.

September 14th, 2011, 7:45 am #3

<p>using the gear they would hunt with?</p><p>I take it the idea is to reduce the cost of admission to encourage more participation?</p><p> </p>

that stuff really doesn't fly as a reason. Hunter in the US was looked at by some as an inferior game imo. They rules don't even allow for USHFT competitors to play the way the original game is intended to be played. If you want to make the game entry level then you have to introduce classes, but there in lies a problem. We can seem to grow the sport enough in the US to get shooters. Also the Hunter class does seem to be getting popular!!!

It is what it is, because it is!!!

September 14th, 2011, 12:43 pm #4

to allow more newbies to try Ft without investing a arm and a leg. Maybe even bring about the opportunity to grow the upper classes. It seems after it started it was just allowed to take on a life of its own and thus we have what we have today. Many of us shoot hunter because it is the only class our worn out old bodies will let us. Let us take our bucket and bipods to play with the PCP and Springer boys.... heck yes some of us would. I totally agree that springer boys shouldn't have to compete against Pcp's but then you have guys like Art B in California that blows everyone away with a TX200 but of course their is exceptions to every rule. The hunbter class seems to be thriving very well and as some of the aging PCP / springer shooters bodies stop co-operating with them they too will join us so maybe the forefathers actually created a class that they could infact play in their Golden years. (LOL!)

September 14th, 2011, 4:54 pm #5

a 40 year old shooter is a veteran and ready to retire. hft is a totally different game there and that is where the game stemmed from. we made our own version of it and has become a class for those that can not support there self in the sitting. age plays a big part of that i think and the fact that many Americans are over weight. the use of harnesses are also an aid the Brits and others in the UK do not use or even want to use.

i like American Field Target, and i like the fact that, we as Americans, can take our own path. i like the classes the way they are.

i never had hunted with quick sticks and chair for more than a day. 1st, i find it combersome in the field and not practical unless one is out on open ground shooting squirrels or something like that. moving through the forest with a bucket and sticks and gun and gear is a bit too much personally. the way i have been taught to hunt from my grand father and uncles is the old fashion way i guess. there are plenty of places to take up a position in the forest by choosing to sit on a stump or behind a fallen tree or big bolder. they never seemed to have any trouble despite there old age hunting this way and would laugh at me for suggesting that i bring a chair along with us.

i would hunt the way i shoot f/t now or a slightly modified version of it.

ronnie
www.EFTC.us
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

September 14th, 2011, 6:28 pm #6

My grandfather always told me that a good "Hot seat" would save me from piles which I guess is todays hemroids. LOL!

September 14th, 2011, 7:15 pm #7

and that day is prolly not too far away. it is a whole different decipline though. i thank God for my physical condition as it is right now and respect any shooter that is willing to go for it. after 50 yrs the body fades pretty fast. personally, i do not see how the hunter class shoots so good sometimes. i love high magnification and rely on ranging a target with my big honken Nikko dialed to 50 mag. it would take me another year to learn how to shoot Hunter with any success i feel. i respect you guys a great deal.

Ronnie
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

September 14th, 2011, 8:32 pm #8

it has revitalized our club and made it possible for folks who might have given up the sport to continue to compete and have fun doing it. It also allows for a somewhat lower investment. Almost half the entries were in hunter. several of those started out in hunter and may or may not have come out at all or continues with the sport if it were not for this user friendly class. For some i am SURE that it will extend the time that they can compete. I for one being 66 may eventually get to the point where hunter class is my only avenue. Over the last few years I have seen quite a few guys come out and shoot open or springer never to return again. Maybe hunter would have kept them involved if they had gone that route up front. Also, in our club we provide equal recognition in the season long Heavens Ranch cup and at state championships.

Hurray for hunter class!

September 14th, 2011, 8:35 pm #9

and that day is prolly not too far away. it is a whole different decipline though. i thank God for my physical condition as it is right now and respect any shooter that is willing to go for it. after 50 yrs the body fades pretty fast. personally, i do not see how the hunter class shoots so good sometimes. i love high magnification and rely on ranging a target with my big honken Nikko dialed to 50 mag. it would take me another year to learn how to shoot Hunter with any success i feel. i respect you guys a great deal.

Ronnie
I have not ventured out into hunter yet for fear i will humiliate myself.

September 14th, 2011, 9:00 pm #10

Where I'm learning to shoot FT - come check it out!

CASA Member - California Airgun Shooters Association: http://socasa.org

CASA on Twitter -http://twitter.com/socasaft