pump ?

pump ?

January 17th, 2009, 1:40 am #1

Those that use a pump,are you worried about moisture getting into your rifle? I think that could be a bad thing over time.
I found a filter at Pyrmyd #FXM Filter that goes betwen the pump an fill hose,wondered if it will fit the disco pump? I emailed them 3 days ago with this question,haven't heard from them,guess they are all at the shot show.
Thanks,Gary

January 17th, 2009, 2:38 am #2

i start to see a mist following the pellet, i will cock and shoot and empty all the air and moisture from the resevor. john

January 17th, 2009, 2:45 am #3

Those that use a pump,are you worried about moisture getting into your rifle? I think that could be a bad thing over time.
I found a filter at Pyrmyd #FXM Filter that goes betwen the pump an fill hose,wondered if it will fit the disco pump? I emailed them 3 days ago with this question,haven't heard from them,guess they are all at the shot show.
Thanks,Gary
Have two pumps (had 3). One has been in use for seveal years (and old FX...guess it would be two models ago...the one with that odd brass adjusting screw on top of the pump handle) and a less than a year old Hill (with the Dry Pack).

Guess which one started coughing up BROWN crap (not the black lube...a brown sludge)...the Hill. Know I could have sent it in, but I won't own guns/accessories I can't work on myself. Took the pump apart to find a good bit of corrosion/discoloration of the brass parts and some on the steel parts.

Have also taken apart the FX for a cleaning/relube of the seals (that's once in the 4 or 5 years i've been suing it). No DryPac, no external filters. Bright and clean inside.

Had to take apart a Sumatra that has been used with the FX pump for quite awhile. Also clean, bright, shinny inside without any corrosion.

The Discovery had been filled most often by the Hill. Took the Discover apart and found the same brown "gunk" inside that was oozing from the Hill pump. Didn't find any corrosion, but the Discovery is a little less than a year old.

-----

Just a belief...no hard proof...but believe that the Hill's slow venting was the problem. When bleeding the line, it would hiss out the line-air. The FX blasts the bleed air out very quickly. The Hill seemed to be trapping the moisture inside, the FX blowing it across the room.

Am increasing the ent size of the Hill (will still seal as it always did, just blow the bleed gas out faster) and tossing the DryPac.
------
Haven't had a Discovery pump, but many have a small section of tiny glass/poly beads on the output side (usually in the base of the pump). these are there to collect condensation..fast venting will blow that moisture out of the pump.
Last edited by gubb33ps on January 17th, 2009, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 17th, 2009, 2:50 am #4

Thanks,Gary
I'm not too concerned (maybe I should be). The Discovery tube is very strong (I read that it was hydro tested to 11000 psi), and if it does start showing problems over time the parts from Crosman are inexpensive to replace. I suppose the danger lies in a weaken tube exploding, but I'm not how real and probable this problem could be. Any ideas?

---

Just read Robert's post above and his comments add comfort to my thoughts. I use the Discovery pump and when I bleed the pump before disconnecting I do it very quickly (seems to bleed in about 1 to 1.5 seconds). Perhaps this practice will help remove moisture - does it?
Last edited by bwgstock on January 17th, 2009, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 17th, 2009, 6:07 am #5

Yes, when you compress air it wrings moisture out. The moisture will gather at the lowest point, generally. The vent should expel most of the moisture if you bleed it rapidly.

January 17th, 2009, 1:11 pm #6

Thanks guys.Robert after reading the info you gave about your experince with pumps it eased my mind so I will take the 20 bucks saved on the filter and buy more bullits. Pellets that is.Thanks again to all that responded.Gary

January 17th, 2009, 6:54 pm #7

Have two pumps (had 3). One has been in use for seveal years (and old FX...guess it would be two models ago...the one with that odd brass adjusting screw on top of the pump handle) and a less than a year old Hill (with the Dry Pack).

Guess which one started coughing up BROWN crap (not the black lube...a brown sludge)...the Hill. Know I could have sent it in, but I won't own guns/accessories I can't work on myself. Took the pump apart to find a good bit of corrosion/discoloration of the brass parts and some on the steel parts.

Have also taken apart the FX for a cleaning/relube of the seals (that's once in the 4 or 5 years i've been suing it). No DryPac, no external filters. Bright and clean inside.

Had to take apart a Sumatra that has been used with the FX pump for quite awhile. Also clean, bright, shinny inside without any corrosion.

The Discovery had been filled most often by the Hill. Took the Discover apart and found the same brown "gunk" inside that was oozing from the Hill pump. Didn't find any corrosion, but the Discovery is a little less than a year old.

-----

Just a belief...no hard proof...but believe that the Hill's slow venting was the problem. When bleeding the line, it would hiss out the line-air. The FX blasts the bleed air out very quickly. The Hill seemed to be trapping the moisture inside, the FX blowing it across the room.

Am increasing the ent size of the Hill (will still seal as it always did, just blow the bleed gas out faster) and tossing the DryPac.
------
Haven't had a Discovery pump, but many have a small section of tiny glass/poly beads on the output side (usually in the base of the pump). these are there to collect condensation..fast venting will blow that moisture out of the pump.
disco pump there was some brown goo that came out the vent from the air bleed when i blead it down the first couple of times. the first time i opened the screw a bit and it gurgled, then acted like it pluged up, so i opened the screw further and then it blead and more brown struff. it looked like emulsified oil. also when this gun was new, the pressure would drop on the gage on the gun after pumping up, when the bleed screw was opened. opening the screw fast seemed to help, both to clear the goo out and to close the check valve in the gun. john

January 21st, 2009, 12:29 am #8

Thanks,Gary
Took it apart again, cleaned it again. Worked for a bit, then gunked up with the brown "froth". Took it apart and cleaned it a 3rd time, relubed with the only appropriate lube I had...silicon grease.... this time enlarging the bleed seal (it's a white delrin seal) a little bit....the metal passages were already large enough, the restriction was the seal. Now when I bleed, it vents quickly and forcefully.

Working for the time being....the brown froth was collecting at the final valve, and limiting the intake (was trying to draw a vacuum on the up-stroke).

Hope is that :
1. the last of the frothy gunk is gone
2. the faster bleed off time will help displace moisture.
-----
Still down't blast out the bleed air like my old FX...which vents all the air in a 1/4 second blast....but it's better.