PSA numbers are high, now what?

PSA numbers are high, now what?

June 26th, 2012, 7:15 am #1

I had a test in mid May that came in at 23, had another last Monday that showed 25+, Doc wants a biopsy...

Is there anything else to do first, or is that the only next step?

You guys that have been there, or those that know, enlighten me please...

Thanks.................Tim...

June 26th, 2012, 8:33 am #2

<p>A lot of things can elevate the PSA. Those two test are too close toughter, IMO, i would wait a good six months , then have another test.  Biopsies can be as dangerous as any operation, infections seem rampant in Surgries now!</p><p>A second opinion is also very important in cases as this. I would go to a different Proctoligist in six months for another test.</p><p> If you google "PSA Test" it will show how the PSA test is not as sure as it used to be.</p><p>Doug S.</p>
Last edited by dsmalln on June 26th, 2012, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2012, 12:17 pm #3

I had a test in mid May that came in at 23, had another last Monday that showed 25+, Doc wants a biopsy...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prosta ... er/HQ01273

I have an article that clamed it was much more accurate than a psa test and did not give near as many false positves.
I had a biopsy a few years ago and my numbers were not anywhere near as high as yours. Thankfully I was ok but the biopsy was not pleasant, to say the least.
Good luck to you, Jim

June 26th, 2012, 1:31 pm #4

23 to 25? My urologist uses the 1-4 scale. PSA interpretation depends upon your age and the condition of your prostate. Is yours enlarged, trouble urinating, etc? (No need to air it here, BTW.) While the PSA tests have come under a lot of criticism in the news of late, they can still be useful in monitoring your prostate.

June 26th, 2012, 4:08 pm #5

Yes it will hurt. Better pain now than dead later.

My buddy Chuck had low and level PSA results for years.

One year he complained of back and leg pain. MRI showed tumors along his spine and femur. Origin: prostate.

Next year he was in a wheel chair.

Next year he was dead.

We interred his ashes last month.
Last edited by Whiteleather on June 26th, 2012, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2012, 4:17 pm #6

23 to 25? My urologist uses the 1-4 scale. PSA interpretation depends upon your age and the condition of your prostate. Is yours enlarged, trouble urinating, etc? (No need to air it here, BTW.) While the PSA tests have come under a lot of criticism in the news of late, they can still be useful in monitoring your prostate.
I am 72 and my PSA has run 18-25 for they last 10 years. My first was done over 25 years ago and was 5, then one point higher than the biopsy level of 4. It gradually went up and I had numerous biopsies,6 or 7, 12 needle punctures each time, actually the first was done surgically . All were negative. My well trained urologist, Duke Medical, quit sticking me at 70 saying if I got cancer now I would die of something else before prostrate cancer.

Now the variables, not all prostrate cancers are the same, most are slow growing so the latest thinking is watch the rate of growth in your PSA number. Digital exams are good, an enlarged prostrate will increase your PSA, my case, and a skilled urologist can feel for lumps, knots, etc. Urologist vary in their views but the trend is toward less biopsies. My best life long friend has had so many biopsies that passing blood is normal for him as are other non cancerous complications. Note there is a rare fast growing prostate cancer that is very dangerous so causal waiting should be done carefully. Lastly, everyone is different, age wise, genetically, prostate wise , and the science is evolving. No clear answers unfortunately.

What to do, find a urologist you trust, and one that talks to you and stays up to date, monitor your progress carefully together, a sort of watchful waiting. I had to have a TURP, opening up the ureter . My doc put a large HD monitor in front of me, had one of his own and let me watch the entire procedure as he explained it, all in real time and done remotely. The electrical scalpel cut away excess tissue and then with a button push cauterized it. A tiny TV inside you ! I say this because of the trust issue. A great doctor.

Happy to discuss on email or by phone.

Gaines

334 821 9038

June 26th, 2012, 4:26 pm #7

Went to Dattoli Cancer center and got thier full treatment. None of it is fun but I have been clear for five years. The actual PSA numbers are not as important as the increase in a year. Mine went from 1.7 to 2.7 and our Doctor was concerned. He was right. Get the Biopsy!

June 26th, 2012, 4:38 pm #8

No real problems with anything. I had an infection last month and that was why I went to the Dr in the first place....

They did the PSA test and it was high but the urologist said that could have been the infection, thats why they wanted the second test...when the second one came in high, he wants the biopsy...

The finger wave results were good, he said it was perfect, no issues at all..,minor flow problems at times but not bad...

Dont really want the biopsy cuz of the chance of infection but if that is what is needed I will do it...

I just turned 58, I'm 6'-3", about 215#, heart rate resting is 55bpm, pressure is around 130/60 most of the times....not bad shape for the shape I'm in.....

still dunno----

June 26th, 2012, 4:41 pm #9

I am 72 and my PSA has run 18-25 for they last 10 years. My first was done over 25 years ago and was 5, then one point higher than the biopsy level of 4. It gradually went up and I had numerous biopsies,6 or 7, 12 needle punctures each time, actually the first was done surgically . All were negative. My well trained urologist, Duke Medical, quit sticking me at 70 saying if I got cancer now I would die of something else before prostrate cancer.

Now the variables, not all prostrate cancers are the same, most are slow growing so the latest thinking is watch the rate of growth in your PSA number. Digital exams are good, an enlarged prostrate will increase your PSA, my case, and a skilled urologist can feel for lumps, knots, etc. Urologist vary in their views but the trend is toward less biopsies. My best life long friend has had so many biopsies that passing blood is normal for him as are other non cancerous complications. Note there is a rare fast growing prostate cancer that is very dangerous so causal waiting should be done carefully. Lastly, everyone is different, age wise, genetically, prostate wise , and the science is evolving. No clear answers unfortunately.

What to do, find a urologist you trust, and one that talks to you and stays up to date, monitor your progress carefully together, a sort of watchful waiting. I had to have a TURP, opening up the ureter . My doc put a large HD monitor in front of me, had one of his own and let me watch the entire procedure as he explained it, all in real time and done remotely. The electrical scalpel cut away excess tissue and then with a button push cauterized it. A tiny TV inside you ! I say this because of the trust issue. A great doctor.

Happy to discuss on email or by phone.

Gaines

334 821 9038
I appreciate your info, I will keep looking at stuff...

Thanks for the offer and the number...

Tim..

June 26th, 2012, 4:46 pm #10

Yes it will hurt. Better pain now than dead later.

My buddy Chuck had low and level PSA results for years.

One year he complained of back and leg pain. MRI showed tumors along his spine and femur. Origin: prostate.

Next year he was in a wheel chair.

Next year he was dead.

We interred his ashes last month.
I think I will get the biopsy, I'm just not liking the idea much..

not worried about the pain, thats not an issue, its just that the finger wave showed a good organ and now they want to poke holes in it...seems like an open invitation to infection...

I have a consultation on Friday and we will be discussing options...

Thanks for takin the time and writing back...