Prod Gauge Issue....?

Prod Gauge Issue....?

June 17th, 2012, 5:29 pm #1

Guys, just traded for a Prod, pumped it to 2800 psi several different times, and everything was fine until this morning. Went to shoot it and it had lost all of its charge. When I tried re-pumping, I heard air hissing from around the gauge, and when I lightly pressed on the face of the gauge, the sound increased. Released all remaining air, then went to remove the gauge and it 'wobbled' back and forth when putting a wrench on it and still threaded in place. I tried putting new teflon tape on the threads, but that didn't solve the problem. Question is, should the gauge wobble back and forth when it's installed? I'm thinking not, which would simply mean that I need to replace the gauge. Anyone experienced a similar problem? Thanks in advance - Ted

June 17th, 2012, 6:35 pm #2

Sounds like either the gauge or the airtube has stripped threads.
Either part would be available from Crosman.

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle

June 17th, 2012, 7:03 pm #3

and they're fine. In fact, this was the first time the gauge had been removed from the cylinder. Sure seems curious about the wobbling back and forth when side pressure is put on the gauge housing though. I'll contact Benjamin tomorrow and inquire.

June 17th, 2012, 7:52 pm #4

Gauge threads a little small, hole threads a little big. Makes for a wobbley.

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle

June 17th, 2012, 9:32 pm #5

It's most likely the gauge support orings, when the air tube is empty the gauge support can move around making it look like the gauge is moving. O-rings are size -113.
Last edited by REARSPROCKET on June 17th, 2012, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 18th, 2012, 4:58 am #6

Guys, just traded for a Prod, pumped it to 2800 psi several different times, and everything was fine until this morning. Went to shoot it and it had lost all of its charge. When I tried re-pumping, I heard air hissing from around the gauge, and when I lightly pressed on the face of the gauge, the sound increased. Released all remaining air, then went to remove the gauge and it 'wobbled' back and forth when putting a wrench on it and still threaded in place. I tried putting new teflon tape on the threads, but that didn't solve the problem. Question is, should the gauge wobble back and forth when it's installed? I'm thinking not, which would simply mean that I need to replace the gauge. Anyone experienced a similar problem? Thanks in advance - Ted
Please read my thread:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/581291/m ... +air+gauge......

Mine started leaking when I wiggled the gauge Left to Right after removing the fore-grip.

The gauge is screwed into a cylindrical block that has 2 O-rings to seal it to the air tube, that is why it possible to wiggle left to right.

I used cheap SAE O-Rings from Harbor Freight, the factory Crosman O-Rings are probably better. Lube the o-rings with silicon grease.
Also use several layers of Teflon tape when you re-install the gauge.

It is an easy fix, good luck.

Norm

June 18th, 2012, 12:54 pm #7

Thanks Norm. Sounds almost exactly the same, only mine was leaking and I never took off the foregrip until after the fact. The wobble is there though, so I'll follow your thread and try replacing them rather than sending it off to Crosman.

June 19th, 2012, 7:08 am #8

I am just passing along what others have taught me on the forum.

Please let us all know how things go.

Regards,

Norm

June 19th, 2012, 9:08 am #9

followed instructions using your (and other) posts and got o-rings changed out in no time. She's holding air and back to shooting one hole groups again!

June 19th, 2012, 8:54 pm #10

Well done, it certainly beats sending it back to the factory for repairs!

Enjoy,

Norm