Problem traming my mill. I had the spindel all the way down and tramed

Problem traming my mill. I had the spindel all the way down and tramed

November 4th, 2011, 5:58 pm #1

the table. Then I raised the spindle up 4" and checked the tram, it was off by .006. There's no play in the spindle. Even if the head/spindle was at an angle, would'nt the tram remain the same?

November 4th, 2011, 7:21 pm #2

If your head can be raised and lowered on a movement and can be also rotated on that movement, just because you trammed the head in on the bottom of travel does not mean it is the same up higher. The thing you need to do is align the head/spindle to the movement and then tram the movement to the table. Does that make sense? Peace

Pete

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net
Safe Journey Space Fans, Wherever you are....

November 4th, 2011, 8:03 pm #3

checked the tram with spindle up and again with the spindle down .006 difference through 4" of spindle travel. I'm wondering if the spindle is bent? I could'nt detect any side play in the spindle but I'm going to check again. Thanks.

November 4th, 2011, 8:13 pm #4

Hey man perhaps I did not describe it adequately enough. I seriously doubt your spindle is bent. While I hate to post someone else's video on here I cannot describe it any other way. Watch this short series of videos and it should help you understand what I am saying and how to fix it. I do not know what kind of mill you have but the theory would be the same for any moving head machine really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlSa5bu2aK8

You need to align the axis of the spindle with the vertical travel of the head, then align the vertical travel of the head to the table via a tramming aid. Good luck and peace

Pete

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net

November 4th, 2011, 9:06 pm #5

the table. Then I raised the spindle up 4" and checked the tram, it was off by .006. There's no play in the spindle. Even if the head/spindle was at an angle, would'nt the tram remain the same?
James,

Spindles can be problematic. They are not as accurate as a Z axis on ways.

Don't extend the spindle any further an absolutely necessary, unless you know it's accurate. Use your Z axis whenever possible.

Regarding "no play" in the spindle......well.....there is always play, and I would imagine that if you moved it up and down several times, and clamped it each time, you would find there are very few absolutes.

If you cannot find the inaccuracy, just make sure you set your spindle depth and use your edgefinder before you cut.

Jim

November 4th, 2011, 9:28 pm #6

Hey man perhaps I did not describe it adequately enough. I seriously doubt your spindle is bent. While I hate to post someone else's video on here I cannot describe it any other way. Watch this short series of videos and it should help you understand what I am saying and how to fix it. I do not know what kind of mill you have but the theory would be the same for any moving head machine really.

You need to align the axis of the spindle with the vertical travel of the head, then align the vertical travel of the head to the table via a tramming aid. Good luck and peace

Pete

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net
I was trying to come up with some. Thanks

November 4th, 2011, 10:09 pm #7

Glad to help. Sometimes a video is worth a million words. peace

Pete

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net

November 4th, 2011, 10:43 pm #8

I just received my dial test indicator today and will be doing this tomorrow.

November 6th, 2011, 1:36 pm #9

Pete

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net
Description of that technique for aligning are often confusing for the first time. After having correctly used Rollie Dads technique, it is easy to remember and use. Turning a rod between centers is another check for alignment, but is much more cumbersome. Tramming the column is video #2 - with a third showing alternate tramming tools. Nice set of videos. Thanks.