Pro Sport cocking shoe bold won't stay tight

Pro Sport cocking shoe bold won't stay tight

April 28th, 2012, 9:18 pm #1

i have used blue locktight but it eventually works loose no matter what. I am considering red locktight but wonder about the wisdom of this.

April 28th, 2012, 9:52 pm #2

Go ahead and use it, it removes easily with a little heat when you need to. It can also be removed without heat, just a little tougher. Old Harleys and Triumphs get a dose of red on just about every bolt, and I rarely use heat to free em up. Also, they rarely come loose. It's good stuff, works well.

April 28th, 2012, 11:20 pm #3

i have used blue locktight but it eventually works loose no matter what. I am considering red locktight but wonder about the wisdom of this.
Are you sure you're getting the threads absolutely clean? I've used the blue stuff for a long time and it has always held well. Try brushing the threads with acetone and flushing out the female threads with same.
HTH
John

April 28th, 2012, 11:51 pm #4

it held for a long time but then one day the lockup was not as tight as normal and i checked the bolt and it was loose again.

April 29th, 2012, 1:01 pm #5

i used the red after thorough cleaning and i will monitor it. I will let it set 24 hours before i use it.

April 29th, 2012, 1:31 pm #6

One idea is to get a tighter fitting bolt. Same pitch, but one that fits tighter. Look at different class thread of same pitch.

I like the Vibratite brand thread locker have been using the Red Vibratite on airguns for over ten years. It comes back apart when you unscrew the bolt, but stays tight. You apply it differently than Lok-tite. You clean your threads with acetone or alcohol, then after they're dry, apply a small bit to the thread, say 1/4" x all the way around it's diameter. You don't need to coat entire thread but you can and sometimes I do on small screws. I use this on every screw in my guns, even scope rings. Never had one that was stubborn to remove from anything but never had one that didn't hold tight.

You can't ask this to cure a bad thread fit if your hole is worn over-sized. If this is the case, you need to figure out how to cure that problem. I haven't been inside my Pro Sport in a while so can't picture this in my head but you might need to get the hole precisely re-drilled and tapped. On such a fine rifle, I wouldn't want to do this free hand but of course it could be done that way. I would rather clamp it up tight in a mill or drill press with hole indicated in so you are exactly on center and perpendicular. Drill to minimum size for tap. Go up one size from where you are now if it cleans up well. Make sure to drill and tap a hole in some scrap metal first to make sure you get a good thread ID in hole, that fits up well with your screw. Some taps will cut big, some bolts come undersized. Waste of time to do all this work and find your new threaded hole to bolt is still a sloppy fit. You want it virgin tight, so to speak. Once this is a tight fit, apply a good thread locker like Vibratite and now you can worry about some other problem because this one will be not bother you anymore.

Shoot Safe,

Bryan