Precision at longer distances???

Precision at longer distances???

November 11th, 2017, 5:24 pm #1

Hey all!

I am wondering if real precision shooting can be done at longer distances (40 yards +) with sights other than a scope. I’m talking about that .5” consist group or hitting a dime sized dot at that distance and doing it with confidence, not just chance. All of this is assuming that the rifle and shooter are capable of course.

I can see clearly where I am aiming on a small target with a 20x scope and fine reticle at 50 yards but is that possible with anything other then a scope?

Aperature sights? Iron sights? something else?

Would it be possible if the actual aim point was larger at those distances so it could be visible and repeatable?

I’m new to thinking about this... maybe some of you are already doing this with good success. Any tips, tricks or suggestions are appreciated.

Many thanks airgunners!

November 11th, 2017, 5:31 pm #2

I can't even see a dime size dot at 40 yards, let alone hit it. I have to have glass.

November 11th, 2017, 5:48 pm #3

Hey all!

I am wondering if real precision shooting can be done at longer distances (40 yards +) with sights other than a scope. I’m talking about that .5” consist group or hitting a dime sized dot at that distance and doing it with confidence, not just chance. All of this is assuming that the rifle and shooter are capable of course.

I can see clearly where I am aiming on a small target with a 20x scope and fine reticle at 50 yards but is that possible with anything other then a scope?

Would it be possible if the actual aim point was larger at those distances so it could be visible and repeatable?

I’m new to thinking about this... maybe some of you are already doing this with good success. Any tips, tricks or suggestions are appreciated.

Many thanks airgunners!
Its HIGHLY unlikely that anyone will shoot 1/2" groups(offhand or bench) at 40yds. with ANY type of open sights. Not saying it can't be done but the odds of doing it ARE NOT good to say the least.

November 11th, 2017, 6:37 pm #4

Hey all!

Many thanks airgunners!
But if you want to stack the deck a bit, make a huge circle on a sheet of paper and use an aperture sight. You might surprise yourself. We are pretty good at judging two concentric circles.

November 11th, 2017, 7:19 pm #5

I just started using the aperature sights on an FWB 300. I didn’t realize, until I started shooting the 10m target at 10m, that they aren’t sighting on the bullseye, it’s the whole target! Just like you said, judging concentric circles... I learn something new everyday, even if it takes me more then once. Ha ha ha!

November 11th, 2017, 8:39 pm #6

I made this simple target with five 3in circles for practicing at 25 yards with apertures and red dots. You might want something larger for 40 yards but maybe this will give you a feel for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0w5xcsi0z2lt ... t.pdf?dl=0

November 11th, 2017, 9:01 pm #7

Hey all!

Many thanks airgunners!
Try a circle that will nearly fill your sight picture at the given range. You may find you can do very well. The gun will shoot just as accurately, no matter what sight is on it. The shooter just has to.

Bob in WV

November 11th, 2017, 10:10 pm #8

Hey all!

Many thanks airgunners!
Aperture sights are capable of producing 1 moa groups, but the target needs to be larger. I have a rule of thumb-- magnification X target size in moa= 10-12 is comfortable. So if you use apertures, use a target about 4" at 40 yards.

The ten ring ring in ten meter target shooting is 0.5mm. Top competitors have then at most a 5mm c-t-c 60 shot groups at 10m, i.e less than 2 moa standing!

November 11th, 2017, 11:48 pm #9

Hey all!

Many thanks airgunners!
Yes precision shooting can be done at longer distances. When shooting CMP service rifle matches the black part of the target is always the same width as the front sight of an M1 or 1903 Springfield. This is about 6 inches at 100 yards, 12 inches at 200 and so on. Alowing you to easily square up the sight with the target. There are a lot of shooters who can do 2 moa groups from service rifles like that prone or sitting with a sling.

November 12th, 2017, 1:04 am #10

Hey all!

Many thanks airgunners!
BreTt,

I can shoot my HW 85 ar 50 yds with the narrow front post insert, and swing the 1.5" spinner until I am bored. But with scopes, I usually shoot 6-9 power and not much more. I find I can shoot just as accurately. Also benefit from a better picture in the scope, and more forgiving eye relief and the eye box. My brother shoots aperture sights on a CZ 452 trainer, and I found it real easy to group well. But the rimfire flies fast and flat, with less locktime.

🦌

🎯

Jason G