practice reading wind--Virginia style

practice reading wind--Virginia style

-bp

July 1st, 2012, 12:21 am #1

hi all

last night, i had a lot of practice reading the wind--from inside the house.

many large branches are now in the yard. free tree-trimming. nothing fell on the car and broke my windshield like last time.

i have a 10x10 canopy from sportsman's guide. cost $49. not the sturdiest looking thing in the world. still standing, not a bit of damage. this is the 4th (but far worst) storm it has withstood. just four legs staked to the ground, nylon top held on with velcro. amazing.

i know that 5mph winds are felt on the face.

i was in the living room and felt the wind moving the house via my kiester, which was in a soft chair.

we had a 20 hour power outage. i'm grateful for the crews that endured the weather and got the power back on.

i could not have shot 'offhand' in that wind, because even my large mass would have been blown over. probably would have had to shoot prone and wait for flashes of lightning to see a target and make a quick windage judgement.

i think i'll shoot indoors this evening.

i had a glimpse of whatliving in tornado alley feels like. it was not nice.

hope no one had any damage or injuries.

-bp
Last edited by -bp on July 1st, 2012, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

lhd

July 4th, 2012, 6:10 pm #2

During the day before my last match on my property, WHILE the course was being set and folks were trying to sight in, Wayne Burn's tent (which was set up next to my lower garage) was wrenched from its stakes ad blown up over a large hill, clearing some trees and the water tank, and sailed a over hunnert yards down into a ravine, landing between some bell targets we had set earlier .. it was right-side-up, and looked for the world like the owner had deliberately set it up down there.

Most of us try to wait out the larger gusts like that before shooting.

-bp

July 4th, 2012, 10:04 pm #3

i saw some of the videos from a temecula match. pretty rough stuff.

this strange storm here in va dc md had 13 dead, lot of prop damage, many people still without pwr. not a shooter's paradise, or even *anyone's* paradise.

stay well

-bp