Pistol FT.. it's not just about bringing in the newbies... at least 80% of

Pistol FT.. it's not just about bringing in the newbies... at least 80% of

June 5th, 2011, 4:32 pm #1

the folks that seriously play are retired. The other 20% younger mix has some free time and money... you just have to for any sport..really.

So, here I am in Ashland, Or. & I'm getting into the bench rest game too now. That helped me to meet a great bunch of guys 45 miles north in Grants Pass. They shoot pistol silly wet with first class match guns indoors and outdoors year round. They also shoot 25m. bench rest indoors and outdoors year round. I shot 25m bench rest indoors and outdoors with them for the last few months. They helped me learn and were very interested in my USFTs. They all shoot FWBs.. very, very, well. Most of their club qualified to be on the USA air rifle bench rest team, one with the top score until the last minute. They COULD be the USA team all by themselves.. but they ain't going.

anyway. I'm of course, trying to get them into the FT games, and there is some interest... Ron and Tom came down on Friday afternoon to check out our new bench rest range and shoot some offhand pistol with a cool red dot rig Ron uses for silly wet. 22/25 without a blink.

BUT.. here is my point. Ron, Tom, and LD were walking the FT courses while I was shooting a round of bench rest. LD is of course, an old time silly wet champion himself. But these three champs, walked away from Marks pistol FT course. LD said too f".. ing hard.. I don't have a rig to shoot that far, and can't get into that sitting bench rest pose. The same course that Riz almost cleaned... with many great shooters close on his heals. But LD, Tom and Ron, Riz and I shot the offhand course and had a great time.

Both pistol courses worked fine.. we them em both... and not just for the newbies..

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

June 5th, 2011, 4:59 pm #2

with their rifles! Can't wait to see the new course and try Off Hand!

Regards,

Tony

June 5th, 2011, 5:55 pm #3

the folks that seriously play are retired. The other 20% younger mix has some free time and money... you just have to for any sport..really.

So, here I am in Ashland, Or. & I'm getting into the bench rest game too now. That helped me to meet a great bunch of guys 45 miles north in Grants Pass. They shoot pistol silly wet with first class match guns indoors and outdoors year round. They also shoot 25m. bench rest indoors and outdoors year round. I shot 25m bench rest indoors and outdoors with them for the last few months. They helped me learn and were very interested in my USFTs. They all shoot FWBs.. very, very, well. Most of their club qualified to be on the USA air rifle bench rest team, one with the top score until the last minute. They COULD be the USA team all by themselves.. but they ain't going.

anyway. I'm of course, trying to get them into the FT games, and there is some interest... Ron and Tom came down on Friday afternoon to check out our new bench rest range and shoot some offhand pistol with a cool red dot rig Ron uses for silly wet. 22/25 without a blink.

BUT.. here is my point. Ron, Tom, and LD were walking the FT courses while I was shooting a round of bench rest. LD is of course, an old time silly wet champion himself. But these three champs, walked away from Marks pistol FT course. LD said too f".. ing hard.. I don't have a rig to shoot that far, and can't get into that sitting bench rest pose. The same course that Riz almost cleaned... with many great shooters close on his heals. But LD, Tom and Ron, Riz and I shot the offhand course and had a great time.

Both pistol courses worked fine.. we them em both... and not just for the newbies..

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range
Back before PFT was even a working model, most of the convos that too place revolved around the need for new blood. And one of the discussion that took place was the "shoot what u brung" concept that could be had in PFT. Well that went just fine until Tony beat up everyone one year at the Nats with his Ranchero. Mind you is was pretty much a stock pistol (SHOOT WHAT U BRUNG theory being up held. But then there was this drive to eliminate anything that wasn't 12 ft/lbs. That progressed at one point to not needing anything more than 6 ft/lbs. Heck there has even been talk of 50 yard shots with pistols. What new person has a 50 yard capable pistol at home already?

Now this year we get convo about range changes, and what gun power should be allow, what scope should only be used, and how do we redo the target KZ standards?!?!?!?... This is only about the 3rd year that PFT has been part of the Nationals, and few clubs even host a local PFT event (remember something to use as a tool to get new people interested), because almost all BBgun(translates to:pellet) ppl have a BB pistol of some kind at home. So I suppose that if we made a game that looked like it was really fun with some challenge to it that we might be able to get new people to come out, and try instead of thinking about maybe shooting a match one day?

Okay Wayne but you just made my point that I've been pushing on the table since I started this convo..

Case N Point: "BUT.. here is my point. Ron, Tom, and LD were walking the FT courses while I was shooting a round of bench rest. LD is of course, an old time silly wet champion himself. But these three champs, walked away from Marks pistol FT course. LD said too f".. ing hard.. I don't have a rig to shoot that far, and can't get into that sitting bench rest pose."

We are suppose to be trying to bring in NEW PEOPLE, yet 3 experienced people look at a PFT course and say.. I don't have a pistol that will make the distance, in a GAME where the based original talk was to setup so that a person could "SHOOT WHAT THEY BRUNG"!!

Except for one small problem. The old heads was to make a game set that will exclude guys from being interest that probably combined have more shooting expertise than almost all of us here. So I stay committed to the same position. Shouldn't we be sticking to the agenda to bring new shooter to the FT game in as easy a manner as we can? Heeeeeeeeeeecck just look at what we've done to the HFT game, and you can see that there are those that see that take place and opt out. Yeeees, HFT was suppose to at one point be a one could try their hand at FT too.... Not sure lot of those interested see it as such now with the way it has spun.

One more point: Shilloutte shooters and 3P guys...etc. need to realize this is FIELD TARGET , and so the structure is a new challenge not one that we can morph into what they feel the most comfortable shooting already.

It is what it is, because it is!!!
Last edited by gregc107 on June 5th, 2011, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2011, 6:01 pm #4

with their rifles! Can't wait to see the new course and try Off Hand!

Regards,

Tony

June 5th, 2011, 6:20 pm #5

June 5th, 2011, 6:37 pm #6

Back before PFT was even a working model, most of the convos that too place revolved around the need for new blood. And one of the discussion that took place was the "shoot what u brung" concept that could be had in PFT. Well that went just fine until Tony beat up everyone one year at the Nats with his Ranchero. Mind you is was pretty much a stock pistol (SHOOT WHAT U BRUNG theory being up held. But then there was this drive to eliminate anything that wasn't 12 ft/lbs. That progressed at one point to not needing anything more than 6 ft/lbs. Heck there has even been talk of 50 yard shots with pistols. What new person has a 50 yard capable pistol at home already?

Now this year we get convo about range changes, and what gun power should be allow, what scope should only be used, and how do we redo the target KZ standards?!?!?!?... This is only about the 3rd year that PFT has been part of the Nationals, and few clubs even host a local PFT event (remember something to use as a tool to get new people interested), because almost all BBgun(translates to:pellet) ppl have a BB pistol of some kind at home. So I suppose that if we made a game that looked like it was really fun with some challenge to it that we might be able to get new people to come out, and try instead of thinking about maybe shooting a match one day?

Okay Wayne but you just made my point that I've been pushing on the table since I started this convo..

Case N Point: "BUT.. here is my point. Ron, Tom, and LD were walking the FT courses while I was shooting a round of bench rest. LD is of course, an old time silly wet champion himself. But these three champs, walked away from Marks pistol FT course. LD said too f".. ing hard.. I don't have a rig to shoot that far, and can't get into that sitting bench rest pose."

We are suppose to be trying to bring in NEW PEOPLE, yet 3 experienced people look at a PFT course and say.. I don't have a pistol that will make the distance, in a GAME where the based original talk was to setup so that a person could "SHOOT WHAT THEY BRUNG"!!

Except for one small problem. The old heads was to make a game set that will exclude guys from being interest that probably combined have more shooting expertise than almost all of us here. So I stay committed to the same position. Shouldn't we be sticking to the agenda to bring new shooter to the FT game in as easy a manner as we can? Heeeeeeeeeeecck just look at what we've done to the HFT game, and you can see that there are those that see that take place and opt out. Yeeees, HFT was suppose to at one point be a one could try their hand at FT too.... Not sure lot of those interested see it as such now with the way it has spun.

One more point: Shilloutte shooters and 3P guys...etc. need to realize this is FIELD TARGET , and so the structure is a new challenge not one that we can morph into what they feel the most comfortable shooting already.

off. I've got it on film! But you are not addressing my point... WE NEED TWO courses! Some day, believe me... folks like LD, Ron and Tom will set up maybe in a "Hunter style" ,(that I would include in Open Class at least to start), when they find time to set up a rig. (they have the money if they are motivated). They want their name in the running for that venue as well. I know I do.. but I'm not setup yet... so I passed on my own course! One can do just so many things at one time.. after the world bench rest contest.. I'll come back and try to catch up with Riz, Ronnie, Tony and the gang for the ultimate in Pistol 12fpe.

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Rifle Range

June 5th, 2011, 6:50 pm #7

Some folks just CANT comfortably/safely get up and down with the seated on the ground position!

That reminds me, I need to finish my sub 12fpe PFT Rig that's sitting in parts!!!

Regards,

Tony

June 5th, 2011, 6:53 pm #8

cuz it sounded and looked FUN from what folks posted and talked about!!! I didn't do bad for a first try at it but definitely didn't beat nobody up, lol!!! I had fun and met some great people that I look forward to seein' again!!!

Now as to these rules, lol...

Regards,

Tony

June 5th, 2011, 7:03 pm #9

Some folks just CANT comfortably/safely get up and down with the seated on the ground position!

That reminds me, I need to finish my sub 12fpe PFT Rig that's sitting in parts!!!

Regards,

Tony
up on the ground at all if they choose to not do so. So from a position standpoint they could start shooting TODAY!!

June 5th, 2011, 7:05 pm #10

cuz it sounded and looked FUN from what folks posted and talked about!!! I didn't do bad for a first try at it but definitely didn't beat nobody up, lol!!! I had fun and met some great people that I look forward to seein' again!!!

Now as to these rules, lol...

Regards,

Tony