PFT rules evolution at Yegua and thanks to Ray Carter

PFT rules evolution at Yegua and thanks to Ray Carter

October 11th, 2010, 6:28 pm #1

I thought Ray (Carter) was nuts (not Ray A... no question about him when he stated he would include 1/2" and THREE-EIGTHS INCH kill-zones in his PFT state championship match, and so much as told him so. I predicted less than 10% success on the 3/8" and less than 25% on the 1/2", and asked him to report the hit results of those targets. I have since tried 1/2" at home and found it much more do-able than I imagined. From Ray's match report (thank you Ray), it appears the 1/2" target fell to 33% of the shots (4 of 12), and the 3/8" fell to 17% of the shots (2 of 12). So I stand corrected on my predictions.
At Yegua's next PFT match (in December), we will include 1/2" kill-zones (no 3/8", thank you very much) and place targets out to 35 yards (instead of our past 30 yard maximum). I have gradually set-up more difficult PFT courses as Yegua pistol skills and equipment have evolved, yesterday's course being the most challenging yet (probably equivalent difficulty to low-40's Troyer rifle course, plus wind).
Otherwise, Yegua rules will continue to promote pistol-esque equipment for pistol field-target, to the exclusion of rifle-length barrels and monster scopes. We'll also probably settle on a 12 foot-pound power limit.

October 11th, 2010, 6:34 pm #2

FWIW - I'll plan to include some 1/2" targets from time to time - I don't see a particular reason to include 3/8" on monthly matches, but seems like one might be useful in the state match to help separate out shooters. I'm not a big fan of the really long barrels myself - I don't really think there is much advantage of an 18" barrel over 14", but we've got a couple of shooters who are now set up that way.

Good to see you review your rules from time to time - the sport is still evolving and I think that's a good thing. We'll be going over ours over the next couple of months too.

October 11th, 2010, 11:21 pm #3

I thought Ray (Carter) was nuts (not Ray A... no question about him when he stated he would include 1/2" and THREE-EIGTHS INCH kill-zones in his PFT state championship match, and so much as told him so. I predicted less than 10% success on the 3/8" and less than 25% on the 1/2", and asked him to report the hit results of those targets. I have since tried 1/2" at home and found it much more do-able than I imagined. From Ray's match report (thank you Ray), it appears the 1/2" target fell to 33% of the shots (4 of 12), and the 3/8" fell to 17% of the shots (2 of 12). So I stand corrected on my predictions.
At Yegua's next PFT match (in December), we will include 1/2" kill-zones (no 3/8", thank you very much) and place targets out to 35 yards (instead of our past 30 yard maximum). I have gradually set-up more difficult PFT courses as Yegua pistol skills and equipment have evolved, yesterday's course being the most challenging yet (probably equivalent difficulty to low-40's Troyer rifle course, plus wind).
Otherwise, Yegua rules will continue to promote pistol-esque equipment for pistol field-target, to the exclusion of rifle-length barrels and monster scopes. We'll also probably settle on a 12 foot-pound power limit.
this weekend and and about the same percentages. perhaps a bit better but had some really great shooter attending as well. one also has to take in consideration that 2 of the shooters only dropped 2 targets over 24 shots. i think at Golden State we shall keep it to 1/2 inch for a while and see where the political wind goes. lol. just have to make up for it so know one cleans my course lol. they almost did.
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

October 12th, 2010, 7:19 am #4

Going to be your limit for sure?

Regards,

Tony

October 12th, 2010, 12:30 pm #5

you are upgrading your rules. Seems like you are going in the right direction. Congrats.

<p>A Team PCP Tuning Document</p><p>Field Target Locations GeoCache (GPS file)</p>(please note the site does go down with high
traffic so check back if it isn't available)
<p>YouTube Videos</p>

October 12th, 2010, 12:54 pm #6

what is your scope max power Ron?? if any?????
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

October 12th, 2010, 1:28 pm #7

FWIW - I'll plan to include some 1/2" targets from time to time - I don't see a particular reason to include 3/8" on monthly matches, but seems like one might be useful in the state match to help separate out shooters. I'm not a big fan of the really long barrels myself - I don't really think there is much advantage of an 18" barrel over 14", but we've got a couple of shooters who are now set up that way.

Good to see you review your rules from time to time - the sport is still evolving and I think that's a good thing. We'll be going over ours over the next couple of months too.
count up and fpe. i have a 14 inch barrel on my Mac1 prepped 2240. i would prefer a 12 inch but just not enough juice.
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

October 12th, 2010, 7:21 pm #8

We're probably gonna settle on 15" as the max barrel length, so as to include the (very common) Crosmans that are 14 and some-odd inches. Almost unanimous agreement among the active PFT club-members in favor of restricting magnification to 12X during the match (per Hunter class), but absolutely NO prevailing consensus what to allow as the maximum scope magnification and parameters (12X, 16X, 18X, length, objective diameter, no limits?). Also near-unanimous consensus that 12 foot-pounds is a realistic power limit, with some discussion that when/if we extend ranges to 35 yards the 12 foot-pound limit starts advantaging .177 more than a little... and we love our big-bores (.22) in Texas! Still considering a "Hunter" type class and a more liberal "techno-weenie" type class, but as usual it's hard to settle on equipment and even shooting-position boundaries (for instance- harnesses?, bi-pods?).
So after polling and discussing these issues with PFT shooters in and outside our club, there are still points of contention lacking consensus, and probably always will be. At some point we'll either take a binding vote on those points... or settle them by royal decrees .

October 12th, 2010, 9:27 pm #9

and 12x scopes BUT will always think that an unlimited class should exist for those that want to participate in it, even if they are the only shooter...their score can stand alone from the rest.

As for position, as always, I still maintain that PFT is a Direct Derivative of Field Target where as Ray Carter calls it, Free Style position applies.

Hold your shooting iron any damn way you can to hit the targets!!!

After all, FT/HFT is a Hunting Simulation, as such while hunting people will brace against a tree, shoot off hand, shoot seated, kneeling, prone, off a bipod, etc.

15" Barrel Length is reasonable as well, I take it that is defined as the total length of rifled barrel, not including front sight extensions, muzzle brakes, muzzle flip compensators, etc.?

Regards,

Tony

October 13th, 2010, 1:11 am #10

Would like to maintain some semblence of "pistol" in PFT... whatever classes we decide on.