PFT match report 11/5/11 - Ashland Air Rifle Range

PFT match report 11/5/11 - Ashland Air Rifle Range

November 7th, 2011, 5:57 pm #1

Pistol Field Target Match Report Nov. 5th 2011

There was a storm blowing thru and it was almost snowing on us, temps were in the low 30s with a light drizzle occasionally getting blown in on us by a gust of cold wind. We had the fire pit going, and kept a clean hot fire going with all the dry scrap wood I have on hand.

Mark Gravelle showed up first, and got the fire going, then Steve Ware bringing the most incredible chilly! What a great thing that was to enjoy on this blustery cold day. Allan Heggem arrived as we started shooting and made up the rest of the shooters for the day.. Not all are as fool hardy as we four!

Mark and Steve both shot their .22 cal Marauder pistols, and I shared my customized HPA disco/2240 with Allen. Since it seems, the BOG is about to approve the new PFT rules allowing one to tether to a tank in open class, and this rig is really an air hog, only getting about 8 shots on a fill at 11.8fpe I decided to see if it would even work and it seemed to work great... no filling, even with two shooters sharing the rig.

The day before I had heard the storm was coming, so I set up 6 lanes of three targets each, in between the concrete BR benches on the Bench rest range, so we could be under the roof while we shot. But the wind was blowing in so hard that we got wet when it gusted anyway. After the first round we took a break to warm up and had some of the best chilly a human has ever made.. Steve doesn't look like a God, but he cooks like one:-) My mind was on that chilly, so that's another reason I shot so poorly:-)

The course had a few ¾ at 10 -15 yards, but mostly 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 out to 30 yards. The wind was blowing hard and switching directions 180 degrees, but that didnt bother most shooters only me I had all sorts of excuses planned, but Allen messed up that plan, by shooting the best score with my rig! Hes now shopping for a PFT rig of his own.. nothing like winning to get one excited about a new game.

Mark & Steve were close behind with some fine shooting too, but I ended up doing my part to make everyone else look good.. ya see, the host has to be nice, and let everyone else win. (thats my story and Im stickin to it)

Open Class:
Allan Heggem - 34/36 & 34/36 total 68/72
Mark Gravelle- 30/36 & 33/36 total 63/72
Wayne Burns- 27/36 & 23/36- total 50/72

Hunter Class: Steve Ware- 29/36 & 29/36 - total 58/72

Sorry I couldn't get the pictures to upload.. maybe Mark will save the day later, and get some pics up... I've got them for the last three matches, so when we get them up, they'll be a lot.

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range
Last edited by Wackywayne on November 8th, 2011, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 7th, 2011, 6:01 pm #2

Cold Temps, drizzle and wind!!! Wish I could of been there Wayne, that sounds challenging and boy do I miss the good company and fire pit up there!

If we get to tether our guns, SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Great Shooting(and determination) and Thanks for the PFT Report!

Regards,

Tony

November 7th, 2011, 6:11 pm #3

There was a storm blowing thru and it was almost snowing on us, temps were in the low 30s with a light drizzle occasionally getting blown in on us by a gust of cold wind. We had the fire pit going, and kept a clean hot fire going with all the dry scrap wood I have on hand.

Mark Gravelle showed up first, and got the fire going, then Steve Ware bringing the most incredible chilly! What a great thing that was to enjoy on this blustery cold day. Allan Heggem arrived as we started shooting and made up the rest of the shooters for the day.. Not all are as fool hardy as we four!

Mark and Steve both shot their .22 cal Marauder pistols, and I shared my customized HPA disco/2240 with Allen. Since it seems, the BOG is about to approve the new PFT rules allowing one to tether to a tank in open class, and this rig is really an air hog, only getting about 8 shots on a fill at 11.8fpe I decided to see if it would even work and it seemed to work great... no filling, even with two shooters sharing the rig.

The day before I had heard the storm was coming, so I set up 6 lanes of three targets each, in between the concrete BR benches on the Bench rest range, so we could be under the roof while we shot. But the wind was blowing in so hard that we got wet when it gusted anyway. After the first round we took a break to warm up and had some of the best chilly a human has ever made.. Steve doesn't look like a God, but he cooks like one:-) My mind was on that chilly, so that's another reason I shot so poorly:-)

The course had a few ¾ at 10 -15 yards, but mostly 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 out to 30 yards. The wind was blowing hard and switching directions 180 degrees, but that didnt bother most shooters only me I had all sorts of excuses planned, but Allen messed up that plan, by shooting the best score with my rig! Hes now shopping for a PFT rig of his own.. nothing like winning to get one excited about a new game.

Mark & Steve were close behind with some fine shooting too, but I ended up doing my part to make everyone else look good.. ya see, the host has to be nice, and let everyone else win. (thats my story and Im stickin to it)

Open Class:

Sorry I couldn't get the pictures to upload.. maybe Mark will save the day later, and get some pics up... I've got them for the last three matches, so when we get them up, they'll be a lot.

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range
pistol for the second round and he spanked me again! He's doing great having only
a few weeks of FT under his belt.
We had a lot of fun despite the weather. Steve's excellent chili was a big help to
stave off the cold.

Good shooting Alan!

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle

November 7th, 2011, 6:22 pm #4

Cold Temps, drizzle and wind!!! Wish I could of been there Wayne, that sounds challenging and boy do I miss the good company and fire pit up there!

If we get to tether our guns, SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Great Shooting(and determination) and Thanks for the PFT Report!

Regards,

Tony
for a weekend of fun, fun, fun!

It's great getting new blood into the PFT game. Allen, joining in our club adding a piston FT rifle shooter with his new TX200, and Steve has really taken to this spin off of his favorite pistol silhouette game, and he's bringing in many from his club to try out our PFT game. I'm expecting to see 60 or 70 PFT shooters at the Nationals next year! Between the high percentage of PFT shooters on the west coast and Steve soliciting new shooters from the silhouette game, it's growing fast here in the west.

Wacky Wayne

November 7th, 2011, 6:23 pm #5

pistol for the second round and he spanked me again! He's doing great having only
a few weeks of FT under his belt.
We had a lot of fun despite the weather. Steve's excellent chili was a big help to
stave off the cold.

Good shooting Alan!

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle
and shoots great with it.. He's a natural as they say.

Wayne

November 7th, 2011, 6:26 pm #6

for a weekend of fun, fun, fun!

It's great getting new blood into the PFT game. Allen, joining in our club adding a piston FT rifle shooter with his new TX200, and Steve has really taken to this spin off of his favorite pistol silhouette game, and he's bringing in many from his club to try out our PFT game. I'm expecting to see 60 or 70 PFT shooters at the Nationals next year! Between the high percentage of PFT shooters on the west coast and Steve soliciting new shooters from the silhouette game, it's growing fast here in the west.

Wacky Wayne
Volleyball at hand with informal Cross Country runs...hmmm, mebbe I can drag a springer up there and give it a whirl too!

Can't wait to see what AAFTA finalizes for PFT, hopefully its what was submitted...well maybe with what I had hoped for HFT vs. Open...

Regards,

Tony

November 7th, 2011, 6:54 pm #7

morning. We can round up 4 to 8 shooters most anytime... just let me know a week ahead of time, and we'll really work on getting some shooters to show up.

Wayne

November 7th, 2011, 9:15 pm #8

and shoots great with it.. He's a natural as they say.

Wayne
even when its raining! Thanks for all the kind words, but the credit goes to the instruction Wayne, Mark and Bob have given me over these very fun months. That, and nicely sorted pistols. They handle wonderfully, great triggers and perfect numbers on your scopes. I feel like the average race car driver that gets handed a perfect car. All I needed to do was keep it rubber side down. All of the hard work had already been done.
Wayne fails to mention after the shoot, he and I shot bench. He got through four cards to my two, shot in conditions no self respecting bench shooter would tolerate, and shot some amazing numbers. I just tried to keep it in the black. He reads the wind like an old mystic, predicting where its going to go before it even knows. Wayne even watched the smoke from the fire behind him. Explain that!

lhd

November 7th, 2011, 10:49 pm #9

Open Class:

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range
That is truly laughable! If this is true, you rulesmakers are truly keeping us in the bb'gun category.

November 7th, 2011, 11:51 pm #10

if it works anyway. In this case with this air consuming rig, I would forget to fill after 8 shots, and then be hitting low for a few shots before I woke up the the fact I was out of air. Now that's totally not an issue. It gets 150 shots off my little pigmy tank real easy...
and admittedly, I'm stirring the pot, while the BOG is brewing the rules:-)

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range