PFT Match Directors and Shooters - Do you want to accommodate/promote 10m pistol use?

PFT Match Directors and Shooters - Do you want to accommodate/promote 10m pistol use?

June 6th, 2011, 6:53 am #1

Do you see the need, present or future to cater to shooters that want to use 10m pistols/pists under 5fpe or so in PFT?

If so, to what extent are you willing/envision that you are willing to go to make this happen? Buying,making targets that will function reliably with say 5 - 12fpe or more of muzzle energy?

Think there would still be interest if just the paddles on the targets fell?

Regards,

Tony

June 6th, 2011, 1:14 pm #2

match directors can also just place more targets in each lane.. letting the 10 meter pros shoot offhand and the newbies with 24xxs and the like, freestyle on the closer two targets.

Wacky Wayne
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

June 6th, 2011, 1:46 pm #3

Do you see the need, present or future to cater to shooters that want to use 10m pistols/pists under 5fpe or so in PFT?

If so, to what extent are you willing/envision that you are willing to go to make this happen? Buying,making targets that will function reliably with say 5 - 12fpe or more of muzzle energy?

Regards,

Tony
GAMO targets work fine at that power level. IAFTC had one 10 meter PFT shoot this spring. We plan another one in June. This will be the companion piece to our Crosman rifle FT shoot in June. We're doing a 10 meter shoot for pistol instead of a Crosman shoot since nearly everyone always shoots Crosman pistols for PFT anyway - just for a change of pace. Of course, others will be perfectly welcome. We'll have two classes: 10 meter iron sights and everyone else.

The only adjustments we make to the course are: nothing beyond 25 meters, and no reducers - primarily because few of us shoot 10 meter pistols on a regular basis.

If we had a few people wanting to shoot 10 meter pistols on a regular basis, we'd be perfectly happy to add a 10 meter class permanently.

June 6th, 2011, 4:39 pm #4

match directors can also just place more targets in each lane.. letting the 10 meter pros shoot offhand and the newbies with 24xxs and the like, freestyle on the closer two targets.

Wacky Wayne
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range
which involved a few extra challenging targets on the course was a flop and ended after one year.

Can't wait to try the 10m course, is it Iron Sight, Open Sight, Scoped?

Regards,

Tony

June 6th, 2011, 4:41 pm #5

GAMO targets work fine at that power level. IAFTC had one 10 meter PFT shoot this spring. We plan another one in June. This will be the companion piece to our Crosman rifle FT shoot in June. We're doing a 10 meter shoot for pistol instead of a Crosman shoot since nearly everyone always shoots Crosman pistols for PFT anyway - just for a change of pace. Of course, others will be perfectly welcome. We'll have two classes: 10 meter iron sights and everyone else.

The only adjustments we make to the course are: nothing beyond 25 meters, and no reducers - primarily because few of us shoot 10 meter pistols on a regular basis.

If we had a few people wanting to shoot 10 meter pistols on a regular basis, we'd be perfectly happy to add a 10 meter class permanently.
Sounds like a fun and reasonable game, can't wait to read the report on it. Would Peep Sights be considered Iron Sights on your course?

Love your progressive stance on adding classes if regular shooters will shoot a given class!

Regards,

Tony

June 6th, 2011, 6:22 pm #6

Sure, peeps are cool. nt

June 6th, 2011, 7:43 pm #7

Regards,

Tony
Since all ten meter pistols are not created equal, I would not encourage their use by altering the course or fine-tuning targets. To do so would be a can of worms best unopened. For example, I used a 2.5 foot-pound FAS604 ten-meter pistol in silhouette competition for years, but am unwilling to make accomodations for them (and any number of other anemic ten-meter pistols) in FT. I might as well stand accused of ten-meter prejudice now and avoid all the hassles of accomodating them, as to deal with the logistical hassles of accomodating 5 FP ten-meter guns now; only to be accused later of prejudice against 4 FP guns... then 3 FP guns after that. Life's complicated enough without accomodating the ill-equipped for whatever personal whim or agenda they choose to inflict on others. JUST KIDDING! Really, I'm gonna invest the next few months in designing a 5 to 15 yard PFT course and fine-tuning field targets to fall to a 2 foot-pound paddle hit but not to a 12 foot-pound face-plate hit; on the off-chance my efforts might attract a newbie. Better idea- WELCOME ten-meter pistol shooters... to do the work involved in setting courses and tuning targets for their ten-meter guns THEMSELVES. After all, the more the merrier (except for Match Directors stuck with the real chores of altering the game to accomodate the ill-equipped).

June 6th, 2011, 9:51 pm #8

June 6th, 2011, 11:54 pm #9

Since all ten meter pistols are not created equal, I would not encourage their use by altering the course or fine-tuning targets. To do so would be a can of worms best unopened. For example, I used a 2.5 foot-pound FAS604 ten-meter pistol in silhouette competition for years, but am unwilling to make accomodations for them (and any number of other anemic ten-meter pistols) in FT. I might as well stand accused of ten-meter prejudice now and avoid all the hassles of accomodating them, as to deal with the logistical hassles of accomodating 5 FP ten-meter guns now; only to be accused later of prejudice against 4 FP guns... then 3 FP guns after that. Life's complicated enough without accomodating the ill-equipped for whatever personal whim or agenda they choose to inflict on others. JUST KIDDING! Really, I'm gonna invest the next few months in designing a 5 to 15 yard PFT course and fine-tuning field targets to fall to a 2 foot-pound paddle hit but not to a 12 foot-pound face-plate hit; on the off-chance my efforts might attract a newbie. Better idea- WELCOME ten-meter pistol shooters... to do the work involved in setting courses and tuning targets for their ten-meter guns THEMSELVES. After all, the more the merrier (except for Match Directors stuck with the real chores of altering the game to accomodate the ill-equipped).
that's always coming down on the 10m PFT shooters, lol, just kidding!!!

Yeah, MD gets all the Praise for a good course/match and the $hit End of the Stick when stuff is wrong with the course/match, especially when folks show up with wimpsticks when they need Louisville Sluggers!!!

Regards,

Tony

June 7th, 2011, 12:20 am #10

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"