Perfect Mrod barrel

Perfect Mrod barrel

June 2nd, 2010, 1:09 pm #1

Man I love this Mrod. I bought a .177 built in March of this year.

Seems the barrel will out shoot my ability, never a flyer, and I seem to pull to the right a bit when I shoot if I am off and I know it when I pull the trigger. I may do some trigger mods if I get up the gut to tamper with it.

I wanted to polish the barrel and following Greg D's page, but wonder why if it shoot so straigt.

Is it possiable to get a really good barrel that needs no work?

I put a depingering in it.

I also may slow it down so it is even quiter.

John

June 2nd, 2010, 1:24 pm #2

a laser, then anything you do to change that could compromise it's integrity...just shoot it and love it....

s/f

Jamie

June 2nd, 2010, 2:49 pm #3

Seems the barrel will out shoot my ability, never a flyer, and I seem to pull to the right a bit when I shoot if I am off and I know it when I pull the trigger. I may do some trigger mods if I get up the gut to tamper with it.

I wanted to polish the barrel and following Greg D's page, but wonder why if it shoot so straigt.

John
I have had good luck with my .177 m-rod also.
I don't want to take it apart to smooth the transfer port or polish the barrel because I'm afraid i might screw it up. I even bought the mothers polish, and some small files.

I ditched the barrel band, depinged, and lightened the trigger with nice results.
Mine is shooting 10.5 CPHD right at 900 so I haven't adjusted anything.

I put a some m-rod links together on my web page. www.rickd.net (air guns)
I really like the trigger mod. I just happen to have some shims from my RC car racing days, so I removed the spring all together.

Rick

June 2nd, 2010, 3:17 pm #4

I bought one of the oringinal 100 Mrods in .177 and was ready to tinker with it. It shot so well that I never got around to doing anything other than cleaning the barrel, installing a depinger and lightening the trigger. Over the past year group sizes have gotten smaller! All I do is clean the barrel every ~1000 shots. I'd estimate 7500 shots so far! I understand the power curve and know how to adjust for POI based on the PSI, however I've been thinking about getting a regulator.

June 2nd, 2010, 7:16 pm #5

a laser, then anything you do to change that could compromise it's integrity...just shoot it and love it....

s/f

Jamie
Until that gun gives you a reason to tinker - just shoot it (and post your groups, and make the rest of us jealous).

June 2nd, 2010, 10:33 pm #6

This gun shoots exactly where I aim it and I can not seem to do one holers at 50 yards. I can not hold it steady enough and can say which way I missed right when I pull the trigger.

Thanks JOhn

June 3rd, 2010, 12:22 am #7

I have had good luck with my .177 m-rod also.
I don't want to take it apart to smooth the transfer port or polish the barrel because I'm afraid i might screw it up. I even bought the mothers polish, and some small files.

I ditched the barrel band, depinged, and lightened the trigger with nice results.
Mine is shooting 10.5 CPHD right at 900 so I haven't adjusted anything.

I put a some m-rod links together on my web page. www.rickd.net (air guns)
I really like the trigger mod. I just happen to have some shims from my RC car racing days, so I removed the spring all together.

Rick

Rickster you have a great web page.
Bob

June 3rd, 2010, 12:26 am #8

Thanks Bob.

June 3rd, 2010, 1:27 pm #9

John
I've posted the groups here and on the Yellow. With 18-grain JSB's one hole 10 shot groups at 25 yards and quarter-size 10 shot groups at 50 yards were no problem at all.

It's now getting tuned by Greg Davis. Of course, I am keeping the stock barrel, but I trust that he'll know what to do-or not do-with it.

June 4th, 2010, 4:25 am #10

John
that loves the jsb 15.9 grn pellets. shoots ragged holes off the bench at 25 yards. according to everyone else ones that like the jsbs ar very rare. i didn't want to mess with mine either because i was afraid of messing up the accuracy. i did remove the barrel and clean it thoroughly from the breech end. i removed the oring, took an electic drill and the plastic tip that holds the rag that screws onto the cleaning rod. i inserted some fine sandpaper in the groove chucked it in the drill and polished the inlet on the barrel. made it mirror smooth and cleaned it and replaced the oring. the only reason i did this was to smooth up the inlet where the airhole comes thru. i knew it had to have a little burr because when i would slowly chamber a round from the magazine i could feel it drag on the pellet. after polishing the inlet the burr was gone and it chambers smooth as silk now. i was very careful of the muzzle end and choke. just a cleaning and polishing of the inlet on the breech end and it shoots better than ever. if you want to do this i don't think you can harm it's shooting capabilities. just don't mess with the choke or crown.