Per your request here is a Forum for all your Airgun Metal Work creations

Per your request here is a Forum for all your Airgun Metal Work creations

q1q

March 7th, 2007, 12:05 am #1

Use this forum to post your innovative ideas and wonderful metal work creations. Maybe we can all learn something about making parts for our Airguns.

Thank you.

Steve
Yellow Forums Owner
http://www.yellowforum.com

"Evil happens every second, good does too"

March 7th, 2007, 2:27 am #2

Now if we can get some traffic here...I know there's a bunch of us that are into metal working, professionally or as a hobby.

Thanks, this will be cool!

Bryan
Last edited by BEnoch on March 7th, 2007, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2007, 2:36 am #3

Use this forum to post your innovative ideas and wonderful metal work creations. Maybe we can all learn something about making parts for our Airguns.

Thank you.

Steve
Yellow Forums Owner

The yellow forum is expanding.

Adam in SoCal
A is A

March 7th, 2007, 3:54 am #4

Thank you.

Steve
Yellow Forums Owner

There are a lot of people (including me) that enjoy metalworking, but realize that their skills are at apprentice level at best. I have a 1943 9" South Bend lathe that has been a lot of fun to use making muzzle breaks, tophats, and spring guides for my airgun collection. My work started out looking crude, but each project looks a little better that the last. I don't have the time to serve as an apprentice, so I have to get what info I need out of books, videos, and an occasional helping hand from an "old guy" and a lot of trial and error. It will be great to have a place for metalworking info pertinent to airguns.

A note of concern: I have sensed in a few of the "experts" responses to simple questions from beginners a feeling that people new to the metalworking part of the airgun hobby are treading on sacred ground and should be satisfied to let the "experts" do the work. In other words, "shut up and pay up". My thanks in advance to all of you who freely share (and have shared) your tips, techniques, and trade secrets.

Maybe someday I'll be a big expert too!

March 7th, 2007, 6:05 am #5

Don't expect trade secrets from anyone that is making money at it. Hasn't happened in the past.

For most people, I'd suggest they sign up for a machine shop class at the local JC or Comm. College. If there is a local club, that helps too. There is so much info out on the net now, a person can probably get by, maybe do ok. And not be constrained by the "right" way to do stuff. But if you get a chance to work on big machines, under instruction, it really helps. Then you can apply to airgun stuff.

Plus, in class, they always talk about safety. Its kinda important.

Anyway, thats what I did. The downside is that you start to think about keeping tolerances. And you work with all kinds of machines so you can't see how what you want to do can be done without a full shop. Conversely, if you're off on your own, its all up to you.

The thing I like about this new forum, is that since its part of the yellow forum, it may not require a lot of traffic to stay up. Some of the other attempts at airgun machining forums just couldn't put out the activity. I'll check in when I can.

Just my 2 centavos.

March 7th, 2007, 6:59 am #6

There are a lot of people (including me) that enjoy metalworking, but realize that their skills are at apprentice level at best. I have a 1943 9" South Bend lathe that has been a lot of fun to use making muzzle breaks, tophats, and spring guides for my airgun collection. My work started out looking crude, but each project looks a little better that the last. I don't have the time to serve as an apprentice, so I have to get what info I need out of books, videos, and an occasional helping hand from an "old guy" and a lot of trial and error. It will be great to have a place for metalworking info pertinent to airguns.

A note of concern: I have sensed in a few of the "experts" responses to simple questions from beginners a feeling that people new to the metalworking part of the airgun hobby are treading on sacred ground and should be satisfied to let the "experts" do the work. In other words, "shut up and pay up". My thanks in advance to all of you who freely share (and have shared) your tips, techniques, and trade secrets.

Maybe someday I'll be a big expert too!
One thing about machining is there is a big diversity of expertise but cutting metal is cutting metal and a lot of the fundamentals carry over to all aspects of this work.

I have read responses to simple questions that someone is asking that truly wants to learn, and their given some lame response, like "If you have to ask that question, you shouldn't be machining..." Well, there's other's here that might be able to help so ask away. I expect that if somebody can help, you will get a response.

We all had to start somewhere. Me, well I'm happy to share knowledge to a friend.

Bryan
Last edited by BEnoch on March 7th, 2007, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2007, 8:11 am #7

Thank you.

Steve
Yellow Forums Owner

and to think that just the other day I suggested that it might be nice to have an airgun machinist forum over here at the yellow forum. Ask and ye shall recieve? What a deal! Here I'll post a picture of the piston I made just a few days ago for my 1322.

For this gun.And man does it ever shoot hard now.

March 7th, 2007, 5:00 pm #8

Thank you.

Steve
Yellow Forums Owner

the machining posts of interest will be "grouped" together (more of less).

March 7th, 2007, 5:13 pm #9

One thing about machining is there is a big diversity of expertise but cutting metal is cutting metal and a lot of the fundamentals carry over to all aspects of this work.

I have read responses to simple questions that someone is asking that truly wants to learn, and their given some lame response, like "If you have to ask that question, you shouldn't be machining..." Well, there's other's here that might be able to help so ask away. I expect that if somebody can help, you will get a response.

We all had to start somewhere. Me, well I'm happy to share knowledge to a friend.

Bryan
I am always willing to help if I can. I did stop volunteering information years ago. It didn't do any good. Those that want to learn ask. I got tired of wasting my time on the others.

I won't be able to help anyone decide on which small machines to purchase because I have only worked on the big ones in our shop.

However I might occasionally be able to help on other topics.

March 7th, 2007, 5:35 pm #10

and to think that just the other day I suggested that it might be nice to have an airgun machinist forum over here at the yellow forum. Ask and ye shall recieve? What a deal! Here I'll post a picture of the piston I made just a few days ago for my 1322.

For this gun.And man does it ever shoot hard now.
I have seen your posts about the gun and it looks like you have some serious talent especially since you did it mostly with hand tools. I'm not worthy!!!

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
matospeter@bellsouth.net