Pellet change---bad groups???

Pellet change---bad groups???

May 10th, 2010, 5:09 pm #1

Well, I have been impressed for sometime with the Marauder....until three days ago.
Both the .22 and .177 Marauder started grouping horrible. I cleaned the barrel on each... did not help.
This morning I testing shooting the .22 without the baffles, no better.

I have been using Baracuda Match pellets for both. However, now it seems the pellet the barrel likes has changed? I tried the .22 this morning with Baracudas... horrible at 25 yards. About a 3-4" group. I was getting about a .4" group at 50 yards before! Shesh...

So I tried some JSB heavies (.22), horrible. Tried Predators... much better. So logic would seem to show the barrel does not like the H&N Baracudas now.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Blessings,
Jeff

May 10th, 2010, 5:19 pm #2

Were the pellets that shot good, and then shot bad, from the same tin?

May 10th, 2010, 5:23 pm #3

I have shot about 2000 shots through the .177 and about 1000 through the .22.

I did clean the .177 Baracudas four times Friday in preparation for the FT match. But I don't think it helped a lot.

Blessings,
Jeff

May 10th, 2010, 5:30 pm #4

Any other tins of pellets(of brands you have tried) you have shot before??? I bet they still shoot like they did before

May 10th, 2010, 6:08 pm #5

I tried Predators and the .22 seems to shoot them better. The group went from about 3" to maybe 1/2" at 25 yards. Not great, but better.

I am going to try opening the other tins of .22 Baracudas and see if the results are the same.

Blessings,
Jeff

May 10th, 2010, 6:38 pm #6

that you tried and still have the tin and see if they still shoot about the same. Hopefully you had a second brand that shot fairly well and not a shotgun pattern but a real group

May 10th, 2010, 9:09 pm #7

Well, I have been impressed for sometime with the Marauder....until three days ago.
Both the .22 and .177 Marauder started grouping horrible. I cleaned the barrel on each... did not help.

I have been using Baracuda Match pellets for both. However, now it seems the pellet the barrel likes has changed? I tried the .22 this morning with Baracudas... horrible at 25 yards. About a 3-4" group. I was getting about a .4" group at 50 yards before! Shesh...

So I tried some JSB heavies (.22), horrible. Tried Predators... much better. So logic would seem to show the barrel does not like the H&N Baracudas now.

Blessings,
Jeff
That sounds pretty strange for both guns to do the same thing, at the same time.
Have you chrony'd them.
Could it be something you have done to both guns, tuning or experimenting?
Check the bolt o-rings.

Rick

May 10th, 2010, 10:00 pm #8

Where does one look for this?
I have not changed anything in a week or so. I think perhaps it is just the barrel does not like Baracudas now.

Blessings,
Jeff

May 10th, 2010, 10:13 pm #9

Blessings,
Jeff
I guess the barrel just does not like Baracudas any more.

I have three tins of H&Ns and I shot 10 shot groups from all tins. The result was about the same from all of them.

Here are two groups with the .22

The yellow circles are the aim points. The left is predator pellets, the right is the Baracuda pellets.
I am not sure what happened, but both barrels just do not like H&N Baracudas anymore.

In the .22, I had some 18g JSBs. They were worse than the H&Ns.
I am going to try Beaman FTS & Crosman Premiers. I have them on order...so I guess things just change.

Very strange though.

Blessings,
Jeff
Last edited by avv604 on May 10th, 2010, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 10th, 2010, 10:28 pm #10

windy day? bad day too much coffee? For some reason ya just on ya groove?? I would redo on another day...maybe get a friend to shoot a few groups with ya. I mean wow two rifles doing the same thing just seems like too much of a coincidence???