part 1 : does the term "status quo" need to be retired and replaced with

part 1 : does the term "status quo" need to be retired and replaced with

August 19th, 2012, 1:29 pm #1

"anything goes" ? i find it difficult to explain what is being advertised on network and other family program shows to my grandchildren. i'm not against anyone finding aids to help the dingdong ring the bell but do we really need it to be forcefed into our living rooms? I'm sure the genie won't get stuffed back into the bottle , just wondering how some of you answer to youngsters what is being advertised when sex toys and gittyup elixers are hawked on the tube , mine have asked me "what's that Papa? i usually lie and say something like "I wasn't watching" , I don't like dodging the issue especially with kids , mine or any others for that matter.

part 2: so far we try to stay with such as the following with the young ears but sometimes the flipper gets flipped, Natgeo , Science channel, TCM ,Weather channel , Toons , Western channel and such. jest wonder what you think since the sidewalks of Mayberry have been folded up , flipped and whitewashed?

" I heard what you said,
what do you really think? " R. Guthrie
Last edited by ralphy101again on August 19th, 2012, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm #2

framed in a way that isn't shocking to them.

August 19th, 2012, 2:08 pm #3

their age but premature savy is another animal compared to "sense'

" I heard what you said,

August 19th, 2012, 2:09 pm #4

"anything goes" ? i find it difficult to explain what is being advertised on network and other family program shows to my grandchildren. i'm not against anyone finding aids to help the dingdong ring the bell but do we really need it to be forcefed into our living rooms? I'm sure the genie won't get stuffed back into the bottle , just wondering how some of you answer to youngsters what is being advertised when sex toys and gittyup elixers are hawked on the tube , mine have asked me "what's that Papa? i usually lie and say something like "I wasn't watching" , I don't like dodging the issue especially with kids , mine or any others for that matter.

part 2: so far we try to stay with such as the following with the young ears but sometimes the flipper gets flipped, Natgeo , Science channel, TCM ,Weather channel , Toons , Western channel and such. jest wonder what you think since the sidewalks of Mayberry have been folded up , flipped and whitewashed?

" I heard what you said,
Replace (or at least try to minimize) any source of garbage (TV, or whatever else), with more wholesome activities (like reading a good book, going to a park, spending time with each other: talking, playing, etc)

It's the workd we live in, so we've got to recognize it for what is, and traverse around the crap that's in it.
HookEm

August 19th, 2012, 2:20 pm #5

public arenas from schools , malls , convenience stores are infused with the same , can't and not try to totally avoid it all, jest venting i guess and sure some of this is a hurdle we all are trying to deal with , young minds should not have some of this stuff in their minds too soon are my thoughts.

"welcome to the future" from a recent song , can't remember the artist

" I heard what you said,
Last edited by ralphy101again on August 19th, 2012, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 19th, 2012, 2:33 pm #6

able to navigate around the crap of life, someone needs to be able to explain the good from the bad, so that kids know what to avoid and since we can't hold there hand every second, they need some kind of guidance on specific subjects.

August 19th, 2012, 2:33 pm #7

public arenas from schools , malls , convenience stores are infused with the same , can't and not try to totally avoid it all, jest venting i guess and sure some of this is a hurdle we all are trying to deal with , young minds should not have some of this stuff in their minds too soon are my thoughts.

"welcome to the future" from a recent song , can't remember the artist

" I heard what you said,
The bulk of the parenting work has to be done up-front: instilling proper values at an early age (from birth, actually)... And hope that when you're not there (at school, at the mall, etc) those values would help them navigate around the crap.

It's not an easy task, as parents are being challenged for available time (e.g., Mom is working, grand-parents are too far away, etc)
HookEm

August 19th, 2012, 2:46 pm #8

believe talk to her about realworld issues and dangers i see , it's been difficult for me to speak to her about some of the topics . i've told her and my grandson who is old enough: 'you can always talk or ask me any question on anything that is on your mind'. their lives are my only real hedge on the future.

" I heard what you said,

August 19th, 2012, 3:03 pm #9

Hopefully her parents are on the same page as you (as I'm sure you're keeping them in the loop).
Good luck, and enjoy your grandkids!
HookEm
Last edited by HookEm on August 19th, 2012, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 19th, 2012, 3:23 pm #10

ask me one time when i had this OT page up with the pixel maiden on screen and asked : "whatcha you looking at there Papa?" , i explained that there was this Greek character who owns the premier airgun information site who once in a blue moon posts pics of pretty girls among other wonders of nature , was that a lie?

" I heard what you said,
Last edited by ralphy101again on August 19th, 2012, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.