p17, ruger mk1, izh 53m comparison

p17, ruger mk1, izh 53m comparison

March 22nd, 2012, 5:32 am #1

These are the guns I have narrowed it down to for my choices. I actually like the spring guns for the recoil, and I like the look and overall design better. My main worries are accuracy and build quality. What type of grouping will each one of these get at 20 yards? Which has the best build quality? Right now I'm leaning toward the spring guns and cannot decide between the two. A one inch group at 20 meters is good enough for me.
Thanks,
Liam

March 22nd, 2012, 6:19 am #2

P-17 for the $$,,,n/t

March 22nd, 2012, 10:19 am #3

These are the guns I have narrowed it down to for my choices. I actually like the spring guns for the recoil, and I like the look and overall design better. My main worries are accuracy and build quality. What type of grouping will each one of these get at 20 yards? Which has the best build quality? Right now I'm leaning toward the spring guns and cannot decide between the two. A one inch group at 20 meters is good enough for me.
Thanks,
Liam
...is so ridiculously cheap and as close as the nearest Walmart. You might as well just go get one while you're deciding between the other two!

March 22nd, 2012, 11:18 am #4

the 17 probably could do 1 inch at 20 yrds if the shoot er can do it

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

March 22nd, 2012, 2:05 pm #5

Thanks,
Liam
it is very accurate.
1 inch groups at 20 are doable, with a dot sight, but this gun is breeze sensitve.
I would say the 53 m is a great shooter, by reports I have heard.
The ruger is interesting....but I have not really heard anything about it.

IZH is pretty reputable for generally being accurate, but being Rusky, it has a good chance of being built like a tank ie....heavy.

The p-17 has a rep for needing some minor work, but it is truly "minor". Trigger is very good for the price.
You cant have your cake and eat it too, though.....recoil=more effort on your part.

The p-17 has none.

they are fun.

God bless,

Farmer

March 22nd, 2012, 4:12 pm #6

Thanks,
Liam
Liam,

I have both, and would say build quality wise, the + goes to the 53M. It is built like a tank, and rather heavy. I, myself, am not a fan of the springer recoil on a "match" pistol ( neither of which are close to a true match pistol), and find the P-17 much more accurate, and feel it has a better trigger overall. For the price, you cant go wrong with the p17, but being an SSP, you may encounter seals that fail over time that need replacing etc. On the reccomendation of several of the board members here, I am super happy that I picked up the P17, and have already put @ 600 or more pellets thru it without any problems. While the build quality is better on the 53M, and accuracy is also ok, it gets negative scores for weight, size, and unfortunately, I think its a little ugly (but thats my personal opinion) as well. I have read several posts from you mentioning that your father doesnt want lead products lying around, and I guess it may help on reccomendations depending on you age and size as well. I mean, I'm 6' tall and close to 275lbs, and if I think the 53 is heavy, well.....

In the end, its your personal preferance that prevails.

- Sean