P-Rod leak near air gauge......

P-Rod leak near air gauge......

May 26th, 2012, 10:16 pm #1

My P-ROD has developed a leak. I hear a slight hiss around the air gauge. What would you do? Is fixing this issue as simple as removing the gauge, putting on an new 0-ring / silicone grease and remounting it? Send it back to Crosman for repair?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Norm
Last edited by trueaim on May 26th, 2012, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2012, 1:43 am #2

That gauge screws into a tube inside the air tube (lets call it the gauge block). That inside tube has two o-rings (one on each end). Chances are that the threaded end of the gauge is nice and solid in that gage block and its one of the o-rings leaking.

Degas.
Remove end cap (filling end)
unscrew the gauge
With a long hooked tool (made mine from a BBQ! Skewer), hook out the gauge block.
Change the o-rings on the gauge block and reinsert.
Reinstall the gauge
Reinstall the end cap (and may as well change the o-ring while its out).

Come to think of it...sending it to Crosman might be the better way.

May 27th, 2012, 2:54 am #3

This pistol is a great shooter, I will call Crosman and see if they will warranty repair it. I will take that option before I perform surgery on it.

Regards,

Norm

May 27th, 2012, 2:18 pm #4

..can walk you through it. Not all that complicated if you have to do it yourself, had the same problem crop up and fixed it.

May 27th, 2012, 11:18 pm #5

The gauge moves side to side, it was not apparent that the air tube is separate from the black outer tube. Is there a link to the P-ROD diagram, I found one for the M-Rod...

I have an assortment of O-rings from Harbor Freight. That just may do the trick.

Not sure when I will strip it down, but if I get stuck I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Norm

May 28th, 2012, 1:06 am #6

threex4@satx.rr.com

Buster
\\\ X ////
one step closer to the ultimate goal

May 28th, 2012, 10:26 am #7

The gauge moves side to side, it was not apparent that the air tube is separate from the black outer tube. Is there a link to the P-ROD diagram, I found one for the M-Rod...

I have an assortment of O-rings from Harbor Freight. That just may do the trick.

Not sure when I will strip it down, but if I get stuck I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Norm
http://www.tko22.com/mpevp.pdf

Jim

May 28th, 2012, 7:59 pm #8

Wow, the diagram really demystifies the problem. It comes apart just as Robert mentioned, I can see that the o-rings are crucial.

The good news is that I was able strip it down, clean and rebuild it with new o-rings in less than a hour. Bad news is the that after I filled it, it does not hiss but the needle drops over time : (

The only O-Rings I had handy was Nitrile P14 13.8x2.4mm (metric), I used them for the gauge block and the fill nozzle. I also wiped a thin film of silicon grease on the o-rings.

1) What is the oily film inside the air tube? lube or air tank byproduct?

2) What was the orientation of the gauge when installed, is it suppose to read Benjamin when the barrel is pointed to the floor?

3) I used some white teflon tape to cover the gauge threads, is the factory black tape something special?

4) What could the leak be? Not using SAE o-rings? Failure of the air gauge? Something else?

I'm happy that I'm making progress.

Thanks for assistance. Happy Memorial Day!

Norm

May 28th, 2012, 9:04 pm #9

..was on the inside of mine as well, and suspect it of degrading the o-rings. Know I didn't put it in, and none of the other guns filled with the same equipment show it, so have to believe it is some kind of factory-slime.

So many possible leaks in such a small area. The gauge block o-rings OR the gauge threads would leak out of the same hole....and the gauge itself can leak. Patience, an artist sized paintbrush, and some soapy water will sort it out.
Last edited by gubb33ps on May 28th, 2012, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 9:09 pm #10

just returned home for the day and replied to your email. Glad someone else helped ya, isnt the forum great.
Now go and fix it LOL

Buster
\\\ X ////
one step closer to the ultimate goal