P-51 Mustang, B-24 Liberator, B-17.

P-51 Mustang, B-24 Liberator, B-17.

April 28th, 2012, 1:19 pm #1

yesterday at our local airport in El Cajon,Ca..all three were available for rides...for a fee,natch.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

April 28th, 2012, 1:39 pm #2

I was watching pilot training videos for the P-61 Black Widow and P-38 Lightning.

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle

April 28th, 2012, 3:49 pm #3

yesterday at our local airport in El Cajon,Ca..all three were available for rides...for a fee,natch.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi

There where very few DUEL SEAT / CONTROLED P -51 ever made .

One of these is CRAZY HORSE . It used to be owned and based out of Fla . I last heard that it is now part of the Collins Group ?

Last I heard it is based someplace up in New England and rides are round 3,ooo $$$ HR !!!!!

I passed the chance to fly it in the mid 80's for abt 750.00 / 45 min
At the time I had a lic and my log was active I wished i would have went up and got my log book signed off as pilot in command .

Not many of any of these war birds flying much less open for a ride / flight .

Crazy Horse can be looked up on the web under that name . I live in Ohio the foot hills of the appalachian mtns Mid south east near W.Va line.

There is someone who has a P-51 that buzzes through the hills at TREE TOP every summer maybe 1500 FT at most !! I can never get the nose paint or #
BUT THERE IS NOTHING NOTHING in the world that sounds like a P-51 FLAT OUT !!!!

Jerry 944
Last edited by JerryL944 on April 28th, 2012, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm #4

I`ve had some older Corvettes including a 427(67)that with the top off
sounded sweet,but your right nothing sounds like that Merlin.

mark in mass

April 28th, 2012, 6:36 pm #5

Hi

There where very few DUEL SEAT / CONTROLED P -51 ever made .

One of these is CRAZY HORSE . It used to be owned and based out of Fla . I last heard that it is now part of the Collins Group ?

Last I heard it is based someplace up in New England and rides are round 3,ooo $$$ HR !!!!!

I passed the chance to fly it in the mid 80's for abt 750.00 / 45 min
At the time I had a lic and my log was active I wished i would have went up and got my log book signed off as pilot in command .

Not many of any of these war birds flying much less open for a ride / flight .

Crazy Horse can be looked up on the web under that name . I live in Ohio the foot hills of the appalachian mtns Mid south east near W.Va line.

There is someone who has a P-51 that buzzes through the hills at TREE TOP every summer maybe 1500 FT at most !! I can never get the nose paint or #
BUT THERE IS NOTHING NOTHING in the world that sounds like a P-51 FLAT OUT !!!!

Jerry 944
is "Betty Jane"...this P-51 did not sound same to me from other P-51's I've heard...seemed more enemic..???

April 28th, 2012, 7:19 pm #6

I was watching pilot training videos for the P-61 Black Widow and P-38 Lightning.

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle
this show in June:

http://ag1caf.org/Sponsor_WoG_2011.htm

April 28th, 2012, 11:16 pm #7

is "Betty Jane"...this P-51 did not sound same to me from other P-51's I've heard...seemed more enemic..???
Got a couple of books with color nose art,great ideas for air brush painting.

April 28th, 2012, 11:16 pm #8

hot rodded with a Rolls Royce made Merlin engine,that is when it sang...
Last edited by boscoebrea on April 28th, 2012, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 28th, 2012, 11:24 pm #9

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
We have the Glen Curtis Museum that has lots of old planes, motorcycles (Glen was the fastest man on earth)and boats. The last time I went was with a group from work. An old pal draftsman's wife pointed out a picture of a B-24 crew (labeled "the lucky bastards" )and asked me if I recognized anyone. Turns out my friend Bill O'Mera was the pilot. 25 missions (daylight). I knew Bill casually from work and never knew he was even a vet. let alone a genuine hero. I start crying in my beer just thinking what men of that generation (including my father) did and never bragged about it.

April 28th, 2012, 11:34 pm #10

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Grew up in western Kansas in a tiny town. My uncle, who died recently, said during WWII a bomber had mechanical trouble and landed at our tiny airfield. Everyone in the county rushed out there to see it, kids were playing on it, etc. Next day the military arrived, MPs told everyone to keep away, too late, kids already had fun "driving" it. Then they fixed it, took off and everyone in the county was there to see that. Biggest thing that ever happened in that burg...