Our first Disco and a Question about the P-Rod

Our first Disco and a Question about the P-Rod

April 12th, 2012, 5:35 pm #1

Picked up a Disco for my boy to start shooting HFT with me. It was a used, massaged by the guy at TKO (Mike maybe?) and was a good buy. Guy I bought it from says it's running 13.5 fpe or so. Haven't chrony'd it yet but that seems about right.

The thing really loves CP heavies. I took it out with no scope numbers and no reticle numbers, just a 25 yard zero and knocked down 18 of 40 targets Saturday and finished 2nd in Hunter Class. It's just so durn easy to shoot well, especially in the offhand and kneeling.

I also picked up a Hill pump. I wanted to see how hard it would be for an 11 year old to pump to 2k psi. It was a little stiff from 1500 up but he shouldn't have any problems pumping from 1k to 1.5k. That should net him 20 shots or so. Very pleased with this purchase.

Concerning the P-rod. Does it need the TLC that the Disco required to perform? If so, who does it or sells the parts?

Thanks,

Paul

Map to the FT Park> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=115 ... AL%2036264

April 12th, 2012, 6:31 pm #2

one ragged hole from 5 shots at 25 yards. Here's a link to his tune

http://ronniereport.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ol_16.html

April 12th, 2012, 11:13 pm #3

Picked up a Disco for my boy to start shooting HFT with me. It was a used, massaged by the guy at TKO (Mike maybe?) and was a good buy. Guy I bought it from says it's running 13.5 fpe or so. Haven't chrony'd it yet but that seems about right.

The thing really loves CP heavies. I took it out with no scope numbers and no reticle numbers, just a 25 yard zero and knocked down 18 of 40 targets Saturday and finished 2nd in Hunter Class. It's just so durn easy to shoot well, especially in the offhand and kneeling.

I also picked up a Hill pump. I wanted to see how hard it would be for an 11 year old to pump to 2k psi. It was a little stiff from 1500 up but he shouldn't have any problems pumping from 1k to 1.5k. That should net him 20 shots or so. Very pleased with this purchase.

Concerning the P-rod. Does it need the TLC that the Disco required to perform? If so, who does it or sells the parts?

Thanks,

Paul

should own a Disco and a P-rod.
Both are great guns and easy to top off with a good hand pump.

The P-rod can be adjusted from about 10 fpe, to about 14-15 as it comes from the factory.

I have my P-rod carbine hot rodded. It is putting out 18-20 fpe depending on pellets used.
It is easy to top off and shoot through the guns sweet spot, with my hand pump.

I highly recommend a P-rod. Most fun gun I own. Mine performed well from the get-go.
I modded by choice for more power.

boo
Last edited by boohoo9 on April 12th, 2012, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 1:32 am #4

10 or 12?

How easy would it be to go from the 40 shots at 12 fpe back to high power?

How long is the P-Rod with the stock attached?

Is it easy to fill from a pump because the tube is so small since it does fill to 2900 psi?

Thanks,

Paul

April 13th, 2012, 1:53 pm #5

Number of shots modded, approximately 20, getting 18-20 fpe.

Gun with shoulder stock = 30". Mine has a Jim Gaska shroud which adds 3-4".

To get in the 18-20 fpe range, gun has to be taken apart, transfer port opened up, and a stronger hammer spring added.

If you choose to operate in the 10 - 15 fpe range, no modification is needed.
Simple adjustments can be made to the stock gun.

As a general rule, low power, more shots, high power less shots per fill.

The gun is easy to top off because of the small air capacity of the air tube.
It only take 35 strokes with my hand pump to top off my p-rod.
The sweet spot on my gun is about 2400-2500, down to about 1800 psi.

ps: I dont know how many shots I could get when I first got mine as I powered up very soon.
I do know factory setting was at 10 fpe new.

Do a search on the main forum, "old search", just type in p-rod.
Lots of good info there.

boo
Last edited by boohoo9 on April 13th, 2012, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 9:30 pm #6

Thanks,

Paul

If you are worried about noise,Jim Gaska has a shroud extension that is very nicely made, works well, SO nicely made I'm surprised at the reasonable price ($35). Most of us find the PRod decently quiet up to about 13 foot pounds, but once the power is pushed past that, the small volume of the shroud is kind of over whelmed.

http://www.marmotmilitia.com/index.html

A bit more pricey ($125 but still a good deal) are drop in LW barrels (and they really are drop in). Would NOT buy one unless your PRod barrel proves to be one of the picky ones; some shoot well and others are problem children.

Stock is of usable length for an adult...might need to figure a way of shortening it for a small person. Does have a very low cheek, which does not line up well with scopes. Prefer a cheek riser...can be simple of complicated, just want my face to feel some support when away from the bench. Mine is pretty simple:
[/IMG]
shaped wooden dowel
two lengths of Al rod
paint
drill
epoxy

SHOT counts: Speed always costs air. Faster you go, the more air you use. P Rod has a small volume and is not destined to give a long shot count with a low velocity spread. While I have run my PRod to 18-20 foot pounds, the shot cout inside of 20fps was pretty low (like your guess...12 to 14 shots).

Unlike most, decided to set mine for 12 foot pounds. Get a pretty decent shot count that way,
[/IMG]

.22 Disco can do much better at that same energy level (18-20) once set up right. More like +30 shots.
[/IMG]

One way to look at shot counts is to run this efficiency calculator backwards...can play with the numbers and see just how many shots you could expect at various efficiencies. Realize that a bar-cc/fpe efficency of 10-11 is quite good, so consider that about as good as you could do.
http://calc.sikes.us/1/index.php