Ordered a Disco today...

Ordered a Disco today...

February 13th, 2009, 10:53 pm #1

Got a B-Day coming up in March so I decided to buy me a gift..(Thats the excuse I give the wife..LOL) I gave Tim (Mac1)a ring and ordered a disco in 177cal and pump. I believe that it will make a good backyard plinker and a nice camping rifle. Best part is I can take the rifle and pump camping and leave my scuba tank at home!

February 14th, 2009, 4:26 pm #2

Jason,
I'm sure you will be more than satisfied with your new Disco.
A lot of people buy the high end rifles Air Arms,Condors etc. which is OK but for the money spent for 1 rifle I have 2 Discos one in .22 and one in .177.
As the old saying goes "one for Feathers and one for Fur"
In the future look to getting the little Benjamin bottle and regulator.They are a nice item to have.Small compact and will refill your Disco 6-7 times,and your Scuba tank can fill the small tank about the same amount of times!! I put the power adjuster on my .22D and have to say it does not impress me.
As we speak I'm in the process of sanding down the crude .177 Disco stock and making it more of a looker,under that dipped dark brown stain they use is a beautiful piece of walnut,I'm sure you have seen pic's of my .22 with custom pin stripped stock and clear butt plate spacer.May I also mention a Rick from Mich. Muzzle break for around $35 bucks it will become as quiet as a Daisy BB Gun.

Happy Birthday!
Enjoy your new toy !!!

BBGun Bob

Air Guns Create Questions????
Together we can write the answers!!

February 14th, 2009, 11:40 pm #3

You will love your new Disco. I have the .177 and wouldn't be without it. It is a bit noisy but I live with it. Mine shoots lights-out and isn't too bad to pump.

Question for BBgunBob... do you really recommend the small disco tank? I have been on the fence about getting one. I may just get the scuba and be done with it. Can't see getting both unless that is the only way to go. What do you think. What is your take on the HDD? I think I need/want a one.

Shoot straight.

February 15th, 2009, 12:04 am #4

I started with the Pump. Went to the small tank, used that for 2 weeks, then went to a scuba tank. Small tank will last a weekend and then still cost $5-6 bucks to fill, but I had less options to fill it (paintball shops). Scuba tank set up cost less than the small tank, and I can get >50 fills and it cost $5-6 bucks to fill and there are 4 scuba shops within 5 miles of my house. I have not used the pump or small tank since I got the scuba setup. HDD has pros and cons but all in all I like it. I have one Disco set up with the HDD (for stealth and plinking) and one without (for power).

Email me for more info.

February 15th, 2009, 2:12 am #5

Got a B-Day coming up in March so I decided to buy me a gift..(Thats the excuse I give the wife..LOL) I gave Tim (Mac1)a ring and ordered a disco in 177cal and pump. I believe that it will make a good backyard plinker and a nice camping rifle. Best part is I can take the rifle and pump camping and leave my scuba tank at home!
Using the pump for the disco is my plan. the way Im having it set up is to shoot lights (8gr pellets) 800-850ish, the fill preasure will be lower than 2000psi (I think Tim said 1700-1500psi give or take). Even at 2000psi it wont be bad to pump. I see in the threads above asking about tanks. I also have a 66cf 4500psi tank I got from Pomona 3yr ago when I bought my AA400 Carbine. IMHO the 4500psi 88, 66, 44cf tanks are the way to go, worth the money in the long run.

February 15th, 2009, 2:31 am #6

..really isn't a whole lot of problem getting that small volume up to running pressure....and Tim's advice about fill pressure seems spot-on. Would probably need to refill at about 900psi, so are looking at a 600-800PSI pumping session.

As for tanks, would suggest that a potential buyer check out the local sourses of compressed air to see it (1) they want to be bothered with non-SCUBA tanks and (2) if they can fill to 4500psi if the answer to #1 is "yes". Would kind of suck to have great tanks but have to drive two hours to get them filled.

Times are hard, and it seems to also be a good time to ask your local dive shop about used tanks (if they'll back them up and fill them for a non diver).

February 15th, 2009, 3:08 am #7

When I bought my first PCP I ordered the 4500psi tank as well. But I did not do my homework on where to get the tank filled, when I found a place they could not fill to 4500psi (they maxed at 3300-3400psi) and becouse my tank had the DIN valve they couldnt fill it anyway. To make a long story short I found a place that could fill a tank with the DIN valve and fill it to 4500psi, its about an 2 1/2 hour drive around trip.
Thanks for bringing that up Robert, Guys/gals need to do there homework before they spend there $$$ on a tank that they may not be able to get filled.

February 15th, 2009, 3:31 am #8

There is a dive shot about 20 min. walking distance away, and I've visited them...are willing to fill non diver tanks, but I'm not ready to give up the pump for the Discovery or the AA S200. Both are small volume cylinders (130 and 122CC) and easy to pump fill. Disco runs it's best from 1800 to 900 psi and the AA from 2600 to 1600psi.

So far, tree squirrel hunting or rabbit hunting, i've never run a fill out of it's sweet spot....just don't get that many shots or that large a bag limit. Will still toss the pump in the Jeep "just in case", but i'll be damned if I'll haul a fill tank.
-----
Now if that shop comes up with a good deal on a 100CF steel tank, might just go ahead. WAY too heavy to haul around often (just to and from the shop for a fill), it would make testing and target shooting at home a lot easier. Even with a 3K max. pressure, should get about 100 Discovery fills (including some waste).

If you think the Disco's 2K limit doesn't change things, consider this. That SMALLER AA S200 tank, needing to be filled to higher pressure, would limit that 100CF tank to about 36 fills.

Last edited by gubb33ps on February 15th, 2009, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 15th, 2009, 4:48 am #9

To be honest Im just as excited to get the pump as well as the rifle..LOL!!
Nice to have a back-up........Looking foward to using it on co2 also.

February 23rd, 2009, 3:20 am #10

I just got my 22cal. Disco in yesterday and when I tried to charge the gun, the air leaked out while pumping. I can also hear something rattling around in the air resevoir. Brand new and it doesn't work!