Older Sheridan Blue Streak?

Older Sheridan Blue Streak?

March 4th, 2012, 12:03 am #1

So I got some good suggestions on pump action rifles here last night, and with some of the suggestions leaning to the Sheridan's, I'm wondering whether I should be after the older ones or the newer ones (CB9). Looking at them both, I'm seeing a different trigger between them, and I'd like to know which has the better trigger. I like vintage rifles, and the old Blue Streaks seem to get stellar reviews, but what are the real differences between the two versions of the rifle?

Thanks!

March 4th, 2012, 12:30 am #2

...a few guys mentioned "older Sheridans" when replying to that thread including myself. The older ones are just built better and built during a time when quality meant something. I was always in love with the older Benjamin rifles since I was a kid (my Grandfather had one in .22) but after I got to shoot my first Sheridan I fell in LOVE with it that some day I'd like to own one of every model. I wouldn't let the trigger be the only deciding factor (some people really like plastic) but I think when you weigh the opinions and facts you'll more than likely end up with an older 'Dan.

-Keoni

====================================================

<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">Airgun Info Blog</font></td><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">@airguninfo and @keoni_a</font></td><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">Facebook</font></td></tr></table>
<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="33" height="33"></td><td><font size="3">Download Airgun Helper Mobile for Android 2.2+ smart phones</font></td></tr></table>
<table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td>Announce your airgun event.</td></tr></table>

<table width="600" border="0"><tr><td>

<font size="1">Scan QR to download
straight to phone (old version)</font>
</td><td>

<font size="1">Scan QR to download from phone market
straight to phone</font>
</td><td>

<font size="1">Scan QR to download
straight to phone (new version)</font>
</td></tr></table>

March 4th, 2012, 12:34 am #3

So I got some good suggestions on pump action rifles here last night, and with some of the suggestions leaning to the Sheridan's, I'm wondering whether I should be after the older ones or the newer ones (CB9). Looking at them both, I'm seeing a different trigger between them, and I'd like to know which has the better trigger. I like vintage rifles, and the old Blue Streaks seem to get stellar reviews, but what are the real differences between the two versions of the rifle?

Thanks!
Is'nt Older usually better...

March 4th, 2012, 12:37 am #4

Thanks!
Chuck there is so much info to be had about the pro's and con's of the older Sheridan's apposed to the new ones in my opinion it s going to be your choice of which one you really want.
I chose the older ones a 1955 and a 1979 to me there better built,all of them have a nice trigger and can be worked on to make them better,all that info is already here.
In the end its going to be your choice,read and see what: in your mind is going to make you the happiest then make your choice from there.

I'm not trying to be a smart azz,just trying to help you.

Best Regards
BBGun Bob
reschlund@wowway.com
S.E. Michigan

"Springers are neat,,One Shot One Bullseye"
BUT ONLY If you can master shooting one ! ! !

March 4th, 2012, 1:11 am #5

Really didn't find what I was looking for. I noticed that the trigger on the older models is more like a few of my old 22 rimfires and was just interested in opinions. Personally I think I'd prefer the older rifle, and I prefer metal over plastic, but some folks tend to get very nostalgic when they describe the ins and out of the Sheridans ( like I am about the old 881 ). Just trying to get the facts.

Thanks again!

March 4th, 2012, 1:18 am #6

Thanks!
Can be made tolerable. Actually pretty decent. Yep, more plastic on the new ones, not near the wood as the older ones. The valve is easier to work on as it is easy to take the whole valve out at once as compared to needing a simple tool to remove the back of valve in the older style. I think if you not in it for the looks and just want a shooter the new style can be decent and easy to tinker. You can feel the difference in pumping i believe. Just a more solid thunk with the old betsy's.....good luck either way.

March 4th, 2012, 1:18 am #7

Really didn't find what I was looking for. I noticed that the trigger on the older models is more like a few of my old 22 rimfires and was just interested in opinions. Personally I think I'd prefer the older rifle, and I prefer metal over plastic, but some folks tend to get very nostalgic when they describe the ins and out of the Sheridans ( like I am about the old 881 ). Just trying to get the facts.

Thanks again!
I've only shot one Sheridan with the plastic trigger and it must have had a 10 to 15 pound pull weight. My old metal trigger gun is pretty light and a simple mod makes the creep less.

March 4th, 2012, 2:21 am #8

Thanks!
The older guns are just much better built. The valve bodies on the old guns are made of brass vs aluminum on the newer guns. The reason I mention this is that new aluminum units tend to corrode quickly and need replacement, while the old brass valve bodies last forever. I just resealed my 63' streak and cleaned the check valve on my 59' a few weeks ago and these guns are ready to go another 50 years now. Also, the old triggers are much simpler and a lot better not to mention the pump ar is much more beefy. I wouldn't take 5 CB9's for either of my old streaks.

March 4th, 2012, 2:35 am #9

Thanks again!
I never owned an air rifle as a kid so I don't have any nostalgia for any. All I can say is my '65 Blue streak is a far better rifle than my '08 Benji 392. Not brag, just fact. Since the new Streaks are identical to the 392 except in caliber I wouldn't buy one. I put a lot of workin to my 392 and thought it was pretty hot stuff until I got the old 'Dan. Now I hardly ever shoot the Benji.

I plink, therefore I am.

March 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm #10

The older guns are just much better built. The valve bodies on the old guns are made of brass vs aluminum on the newer guns. The reason I mention this is that new aluminum units tend to corrode quickly and need replacement, while the old brass valve bodies last forever. I just resealed my 63' streak and cleaned the check valve on my 59' a few weeks ago and these guns are ready to go another 50 years now. Also, the old triggers are much simpler and a lot better not to mention the pump ar is much more beefy. I wouldn't take 5 CB9's for either of my old streaks.
Older trigger is FAR better!