Older Chinese side cocker??

Older Chinese side cocker??

July 7th, 2012, 12:14 pm #1

I have an older Chinese side cocker and was wondering if someone could tell me something about it. It's a typical side cocker with a 16 inch barrel and an AK style front sight and military style rear sight, side sling swivels on the (Chu wood ?)stock and the only markings are on the top rear of the receiver which looks like a couple of mountains with a Chinese characters on each side. I bought it new about 15 or 20 years ago and it still shoots about 700 fps and is reasonably accurate. any info would be appreciated.

Steve E.............

July 7th, 2012, 2:10 pm #2

Search this form on TS-45 NT

July 7th, 2012, 11:39 pm #3

I have an older Chinese side cocker and was wondering if someone could tell me something about it. It's a typical side cocker with a 16 inch barrel and an AK style front sight and military style rear sight, side sling swivels on the (Chu wood ?)stock and the only markings are on the top rear of the receiver which looks like a couple of mountains with a Chinese characters on each side. I bought it new about 15 or 20 years ago and it still shoots about 700 fps and is reasonably accurate. any info would be appreciated.

Steve E.............
Steve, can you post a photo or two? That will make identification easier. But it could well be a TS-45, as Cal suggested.

The mountains probably indicate that it was manufactured by the Shaoxing Snow Peak factory. Here's a link to the factory website http://www.china-airrifle.com/index.html

Stephen Archer
Archer Airguns Inc.
Online stores http://www.archerairguns.com
http://www.archerpelletguns.com
Videos http://www.youtube.com/ArcherAirguns
Blog http://www.archerairguns.info

July 8th, 2012, 12:46 am #4

Lets see if I can get this right,
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

July 8th, 2012, 1:02 am #5

They can be accurate rifles, but be careful. They are known finger smashers. Just use common sense and keep a hand on the cocking lever when loading. I've owned a few, and it seems the older ones are a bit better than the recent ones.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

July 8th, 2012, 4:18 am #6

I started looking up that model number and saw that it is the exact one I have. It has served me well over the years. It dispatched numerous feral cats when we had a rabies breakout several years ago.

July 8th, 2012, 6:44 pm #7

Steve E.............
Others have put efforts towards turning lead into gold

My rifles might be older or just from some other mfg. (no mountains)

The safety mechanism needs a lot of work! I have reworked the mechanism with milling machine, surface grinder, files, stones and lapping compound. It's just about acceptable. At least it works the same way every time.

The rear blade sight is not adjustable for windage, and the thing is so far off, if the front sight is moved enough to shoot straight, the sight picture looks so screwy I can't stand it. I'll cut dovetails in one of these receivers! One will get peeps, one an adjustable blade.

Replacement piston seals are available from Archer Air Guns.

The direct sear trigger can be smoothed, but really needs the parts re-hardened. (I have some compound coming do do so)

Lot's of fun for $10 each

July 9th, 2012, 10:09 pm #8

You got me beat, I think I had to fork over $17.00 for mine.

Steve E.............

July 9th, 2012, 11:47 pm #9

Today I disassembled again the first one I had taken apart when these rifles first arrived. 'wanted to put in a new piston seal and lap the compression tube with the lap I made up. ( all three are lapped with new piston seals now).

I've been replacing the pins used to retain the ratchet safety and anti bear trap with aviation quality screws and nuts. The idea that the safety mechanism could come adrift didn't sit right with me. Plus, this rifle was missing the tiny spring that actuates the ratchet pawl. Replacements ordered from MSC arrived via UPS today, so in it went along with the upgrade work on the safety mechanisms.

The trigger sear and piston latch were surface hardened with "Cherry Red" compound, then re-polished. The trigger is now a bit too light for a knock about rifle. I'll know better after a few hundred cycles.
The other two rifles will get the same surface hardening treatment soon. Seems to be a good thing. I need to work out the jigging used to do the sear polishing so I can control the "feel" Amazing what only a small angle change can do. On none of the three rifles have I polished the sears down to all new metal, and there is still a large variation in feel between them.Heavy and hard to
"almost" too light

I discovered that the rear sight can be "tweaked" by clamping it in the bench vise and turning the rifle! What a novel method of adjustment, flexible spot welds!

After reassembly, 'fired off about twenty shots across the shop (about 20 ft) Low and to the left

The smoke was not too thick, but there was that burnt smell in the air.

All is well!

Cheers