Ok, If I don't paint the targets, how do we settle the "splits" issues?

Ok, If I don't paint the targets, how do we settle the "splits" issues?

May 10th, 2010, 2:07 am #1

I've been thinking more about painting vs. no painting of the targets. I get there is an advantage for the first shooters, but isn't that a little offset by everyone starting somewhere on "fresh" targets? There is usually enough paint left to see if a spot of missing paint is on the edge of the kill zone, proving a split.

If no paint, then the only way, is to see if the next shooter makes it fall. But that shooter might be shooting a more powerful gun, and the target could still be defective for lower power guns. And then there seems like no way to go back and award that point.

If we paint and use thin tape over the kill zone, then it seems easier to resolve the issue fairly. We tested this "tail light lens repair tape" with Marks' 566fps 10 meter rifle last week and they fell just fine through the tape at 55 yards.

With the tape, we would for sure have more folks questioning their splits and way more cold lines would have to be called.

If I do my job and make sure ALL the targets will fall with the 10 meter rifles, but not with a face hit from 20 fpe, then we should be fine. But I've seen problems at the nationals, Calif. state finals, and many less important matches, so I'm not convinced I can get all the targets in perfect shape.

I'm on the fence, and need more experienced feed back. Please help me understand the fine points of this issue.

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

May 10th, 2010, 3:03 am #2

And really should not be protested (imho). If a target is in question have the shooters put a "P" next to the lane number and if enough complain then pull the target from the score cards or give the points to everyone.

May 10th, 2010, 3:44 am #3

May 10th, 2010, 4:08 am #4

And really should not be protested (imho). If a target is in question have the shooters put a "P" next to the lane number and if enough complain then pull the target from the score cards or give the points to everyone.
on a faulty target with a low power gun?

Wacky Wayne, MD
Ashland Air Rifle Range

May 10th, 2010, 4:12 am #5

but I have to agree with TX and Tony. Very fair way to score, and no paint. It was very frustrating watching the paint chip away around the 3/8 KZ!

Mark G

May 10th, 2010, 4:16 am #6

on a faulty target with a low power gun?

Wacky Wayne, MD
Ashland Air Rifle Range
on my scorecard if I`m shure I hit it. If everyone else knocks it down, I`ll get out the eraser and wish I had 12ftlbs.

Mark G

May 10th, 2010, 4:18 am #7

but I have to agree with TX and Tony. Very fair way to score, and no paint. It was very frustrating watching the paint chip away around the 3/8 KZ!

Mark G
It can be done, I got them both today:-)

Wacky Wayne

May 10th, 2010, 4:23 am #8

on my scorecard if I`m shure I hit it. If everyone else knocks it down, I`ll get out the eraser and wish I had 12ftlbs.

Mark G
I guess that's the best way to go.

Mark, if your ok with it shooting a 6fpe 10 meter rifle, then how could anyone else complain?

did I really ask that:-)

Wacky Wayne, MD
Ashland Air Rifle Range

May 10th, 2010, 4:27 am #9

The way we work it is if other shooters complain about a specific target then a review of the cards is done, at the end of the match. If other shooters experienced a problem with the same target then everyone gets it scored as a hit. Rarely, but seldom used, is Judge Judie called to to resolve the issue! However, do not confuse a faulty target with a splitter, because a splitter is a miss, regardless of the air rifle used.

May 10th, 2010, 4:33 am #10

I guess that's the best way to go.

Mark, if your ok with it shooting a 6fpe 10 meter rifle, then how could anyone else complain?

did I really ask that:-)

Wacky Wayne, MD
Ashland Air Rifle Range
when I hit `em, they went down! Did a little practice in the back yard out to 32yds figuring my holdover. I`m getting there. I`ll try to get back to your place before the match.

Mark G