NPR reported on a huge upswing in pedestrian accidents/fatalities.

NPR reported on a huge upswing in pedestrian accidents/fatalities.

April 1st, 2017, 2:00 pm #1

Apparently the number of pedestrians and bicyclists being killed by cars has skyrocketed in past few years. Expert guests were at a loss to explain the sudden upswing.

Really!?

Yeah....I can't figure it out either. Must just be a natural phenomenon.

April 1st, 2017, 10:34 pm #2

...far more leniently treated in law. Seems it's time for a bit of balance.

April 1st, 2017, 11:08 pm #3

I'm backing out, turning to go down the lane and exit the lot. Who's walking right at me? Mom and a little girl, maybe three years old. Child sees me fine (I've stopped by now). Mom is engrossed on her cell phone, both hands, texting? I thought about laying on the horn but it would only make the child cry.

April 2nd, 2017, 12:04 am #4

...child abuse!!!

April 2nd, 2017, 3:22 am #5

of various flavors.Evidently in BC, you are allowed one touch to your mobile device (in a car) in view of a LEO, two gets a hefty "distracted driving" fine.

Here in Washington, there's a big fine for having a cell in your hand while driving, I think that should be extended to a total ban in a moving vehicle..but people will scream about"needing to be available".

The insurance companies have caught on how often cells contribute to accidents(payouts) so it's only a matter of time.

Crossing a street with your eyes on a screen? Darwinian selection waiting to happen.

The article I read on this subject(huge jump in pedestrian accidents)DID tie the jump to increased mobile use.

April 2nd, 2017, 12:13 pm #6

Have all phones use their GPS with an app that cannot be turned off that monitors your position. If it changes with a velocity greater than 2 mph the phone,text,wifi and mobile data are inop until you are below the velocity ie stationary. An inconvienence for those who use busses/trains but we did without cell phones for years and managed to survive.
Enforcement of these types of laws is like the war against drugs a no win.

April 2nd, 2017, 1:48 pm #7

of various flavors.Evidently in BC, you are allowed one touch to your mobile device (in a car) in view of a LEO, two gets a hefty "distracted driving" fine.

Here in Washington, there's a big fine for having a cell in your hand while driving, I think that should be extended to a total ban in a moving vehicle..but people will scream about"needing to be available".

The insurance companies have caught on how often cells contribute to accidents(payouts) so it's only a matter of time.

Crossing a street with your eyes on a screen? Darwinian selection waiting to happen.

The article I read on this subject(huge jump in pedestrian accidents)DID tie the jump to increased mobile use.
The distraction comes from having a conversation with someone not in the car. Rates of handsfree phone use accidents are the same as handheld phone use. Not sure what happens in the brain when you have a phone conversation, but apparently it is fundamentally different than talking to someone in the passenger seat.

The dash mounted GPS units also distract folks without touching them.

April 2nd, 2017, 1:52 pm #8

Pretty hard to confirm distraction....so I bet the rates are even higher than reported.

April 2nd, 2017, 3:45 pm #9

The distraction comes from having a conversation with someone not in the car. Rates of handsfree phone use accidents are the same as handheld phone use. Not sure what happens in the brain when you have a phone conversation, but apparently it is fundamentally different than talking to someone in the passenger seat.

The dash mounted GPS units also distract folks without touching them.
...(e.g., dialing), but after that -- i.e., for the entire following conversation and therefore for most of the duration of the distraction -- both are exactly as bad.

Which is to say: Very.

April 2nd, 2017, 3:49 pm #10

Have all phones use their GPS with an app that cannot be turned off that monitors your position. If it changes with a velocity greater than 2 mph the phone,text,wifi and mobile data are inop until you are below the velocity ie stationary. An inconvienence for those who use busses/trains but we did without cell phones for years and managed to survive.
Enforcement of these types of laws is like the war against drugs a no win.

...with a simple transponder that would tell phones onboard that it was safe to provide service -- except for the driver!!