Now the Disco is freaking me out.

Now the Disco is freaking me out.

March 12th, 2009, 8:12 pm #1

It got cold here today, I was shooting the Disco and I missed 2 starlings at 30 yards. I thought this was odd so I shot the gun at a target and it is all of a sudden hitting 2-3 inches high and 2-3 inches right. 10 yards and it shoots good groups to the point of aim, its not windy. I swapped scopes to see if that had a bearing on anything, nope. I tightened the rings, checked the barrel grub screw (tight), checked the barrel band and moved it back to the factory position. The only thing I noticed is that when the barrel band at the factory location the tube and barrel are very close together. Noticeably closer than at the barrel band, I can not figure out if it is because of the cold or what but the gun has not been dropped or handled rough.

Anyone else have a poi problem when it gets cold?

I am using HPA, this is really frustrating since at 10 yards I can hit a .2 inch dot every time.
Last edited by SturgellatOSU on March 12th, 2009, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2009, 9:24 pm #2

Just keep shooting you will figure it out should take about 500 rounds you will have fun emptying tins my disco was funky when it was new cold dose mess with it a bit . don't go to crazy changing what was good until you shoot it in warmer weather again . my disco worked things out as it broke in

March 12th, 2009, 9:25 pm #3

It got cold here today, I was shooting the Disco and I missed 2 starlings at 30 yards. I thought this was odd so I shot the gun at a target and it is all of a sudden hitting 2-3 inches high and 2-3 inches right. 10 yards and it shoots good groups to the point of aim, its not windy. I swapped scopes to see if that had a bearing on anything, nope. I tightened the rings, checked the barrel grub screw (tight), checked the barrel band and moved it back to the factory position. The only thing I noticed is that when the barrel band at the factory location the tube and barrel are very close together. Noticeably closer than at the barrel band, I can not figure out if it is because of the cold or what but the gun has not been dropped or handled rough.

Anyone else have a poi problem when it gets cold?

I am using HPA, this is really frustrating since at 10 yards I can hit a .2 inch dot every time.
on going issue with POI shift. Some claim that the barrel band that has a rubber oring in it corrects the problem. A gentleman here on the forum sells them very reasonable.

I have thought about getting another Disco but have held off due to various ongoing issues they have had since their inception. Good luck.

March 12th, 2009, 10:07 pm #4

Just keep shooting you will figure it out should take about 500 rounds you will have fun emptying tins my disco was funky when it was new cold dose mess with it a bit . don't go to crazy changing what was good until you shoot it in warmer weather again . my disco worked things out as it broke in
from a 2k psi fill, it actually started out in the middle of its sweet spot I think since it only took 20 shots to get to the 970 range, first shot was 991, topped at 1000 fps on the dot.

March 12th, 2009, 10:12 pm #5

on going issue with POI shift. Some claim that the barrel band that has a rubber oring in it corrects the problem. A gentleman here on the forum sells them very reasonable.

I have thought about getting another Disco but have held off due to various ongoing issues they have had since their inception. Good luck.
...since September with no POI shift from original zero...MAC 1 tuned...no LCD...just a stock barrel band and muzzle brake...very consistant...CenterPoint 4x16x40AO Mil Dot..

[/IMG]
Last edited by richwoods on March 12th, 2009, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2009, 10:42 pm #6

I dont see the break in the photo. Was wondering which one you are using?

Thanks

March 12th, 2009, 10:43 pm #7

...since September with no POI shift from original zero...MAC 1 tuned...no LCD...just a stock barrel band and muzzle brake...very consistant...CenterPoint 4x16x40AO Mil Dot..

[/IMG]
..some have no issues with POI shifting at all, while others wander around at unexpected times. IF there was a consistent problem, would be easy to fix.

Will tell you of one test fix. take off the muzzle brake/sight base. Put ONE layer of PLASTIC tape on the concave section that is supose to fit against the gas tube. trim it so it looks need and doesn't stick out. Slightly pull up on the barrel as you slide the brake/sight base back on. This give a little more tension, a little more contact, hopfully enough to stabalize the system.
-----
roigainally, mine had a problem with POI shifting. In my case, noticed the reciever was not a great fit to the gas tube. The transfer port was a little long (or the two recesses it fit into a little shallow....who knows?). Gun was playing teeter-totter on that raised transfer port. Stoned the transfer port a bit shorter, teeter -totter stopped, rifles sight in stayed put.

March 12th, 2009, 11:24 pm #8

all of the sights off of it and I am waiting on my Mike T brake, it is in the mail as of this afternoon. I cleaned all of the grit and stuff out of it from when the hammer was breaking in during the first few hundred shots and it is smooth cocking and shoots normal now. Will do a chrony string again here in a few days. Did one today from 2k and it started at 991 went to an even 1000 then back down to 980's in the first 20 shots, so I think it may like a little heavier fill now that it is broken in so I need to build a power adjuster and get it back around 950.

March 13th, 2009, 12:11 am #9

..then (1) it's a .177 and (2) you currently don't ahve a brake (factory or otherwise) on the3 barrel at all.

Seems like the factory brake/sight base has that concave section on the bottom for a reason...it seems to have been put there to help center the barrel to the air tube.

March 13th, 2009, 1:24 am #10

..some have no issues with POI shifting at all, while others wander around at unexpected times. IF there was a consistent problem, would be easy to fix.

Will tell you of one test fix. take off the muzzle brake/sight base. Put ONE layer of PLASTIC tape on the concave section that is supose to fit against the gas tube. trim it so it looks need and doesn't stick out. Slightly pull up on the barrel as you slide the brake/sight base back on. This give a little more tension, a little more contact, hopfully enough to stabalize the system.
-----
roigainally, mine had a problem with POI shifting. In my case, noticed the reciever was not a great fit to the gas tube. The transfer port was a little long (or the two recesses it fit into a little shallow....who knows?). Gun was playing teeter-totter on that raised transfer port. Stoned the transfer port a bit shorter, teeter -totter stopped, rifles sight in stayed put.
The breech on mine did not set solid. The transfer tube was the issue. I sanded a bit off the rubber seal and it fixed it. Went this route because the rubber seal also had a small nick in it and needed to be smoothed.