Now i have broken inmy quest 500 i have some questions

Now i have broken inmy quest 500 i have some questions

December 11th, 2006, 1:27 am #1

Hi

I have now broken in my quest 500 and i was wondering, i just want to lube the barrel, what do i use? would vegi oil work??? do i have to clean the barrel before lubing??? and what would happen if i shot plastercine out of the gun???? for a cheap practise
ammo?

Thanks Oliver

December 11th, 2006, 2:43 am #2

I think the military uses something to condition barrels, but darned if I know what it is. Just clean the barrel w/ dry cloth. Oil the barrel only if the gun will be stored for a long time, not if you are going to shoot.

December 11th, 2006, 3:18 am #3

Hi

I have now broken in my quest 500 and i was wondering, i just want to lube the barrel, what do i use? would vegi oil work??? do i have to clean the barrel before lubing??? and what would happen if i shot plastercine out of the gun???? for a cheap practise
ammo?

Thanks Oliver
soft twine (no wire or anything that might scratch) and pull patches of cloth through in the same direction as pellets when fired. You can use citrus cleaner or goo gone. I use break free CLP just because it's convenient for me. If you use anything like break free that has oil in it, make sure and pull through enough clean drey patches so the last one comes out clean. You don't want any excess oil in the barrel. All it will do is cause dieseling and/or incosistency. I wouldn't shoot anything but lead pellets in your airgun. Anything harder than lead may scratch/damage the rifling. The steel used in airgun barrels is not a very hard type of steel. It's much softer than firearm barrels so you shouldn't even use firearm cleaning brushes in an airgun as those can damage. Trying to shoot softer or plastic materials out of the airgun is not advised either. If too lightweight the "pellet" won't offer enough resistance when firing and you could reduce the life of your mainspring. Best to just stick with pellets.

December 11th, 2006, 3:39 am #4

Hi

I tried it ... there was smoke but then i shoot lead and there was speed increase for certain!

Oliver

December 11th, 2006, 4:47 am #5

Hi

ammo?

Thanks Oliver
You do not lube the barrel, not with any oil, NONE. Veggie oil..... are you insane? Oiling the barrel is not required at all, the light film of lead left in the bore will not rust. Use a heavy piece of monofilament fishing line with a loop tied in one end to pull a patch through to clean the bore. Plastercine.....manufacturers of pellet guns make it widely known they were intended to shoot LEAD pellets. Some of these manufacturers actually sell LEAD pellets with their own name on the package. You will be astonished to know that these guns were actually designed to shoot LEAD pellets. If you decide to shoot plastercine out of your gun expect it to die the same grim death your 795 died after shooting nails, screws, and who knows what else. Throw it in a pond, probably last longer.

December 11th, 2006, 8:56 am #6

Hi

I tried it ... there was smoke but then i shoot lead and there was speed increase for certain!

Oliver
The only reason I use break-free is because it is somewhat of a cleaner/solvent as well as lube. That smoking, etc. after cleaning just means you should have used a few more dry patches. Airgun barrels don't need to be cleaned very often. You should only do it when accuracy starts to decline which is gonna be after many many (like thousands) of shots. After cleaning it's a good idea to fire a couple of dozen pellets thru the barrel before expecting the best accuracy. For best accuracy you need your airgun to have consistent power and a consistent barrel condition from one shot to the next. That's one reason you don't want oil in the compression chamber...the power won't be consistent until all excess is burned off or ejected and accuracy will suffer. As far as the barrel goes, a squeaky clean (newly-cleaned) barrel needs to get just a little bit of lead-fouling for it to stabilize and be the same from one shot to the next.

December 11th, 2006, 11:54 pm #7

Hi

ammo?

Thanks Oliver
I think you should use them instead of plasticine. Easier cleanup and will help you break your gun faster. That way we get to hear how you return it and get another gun to ruin.
Walter....

December 12th, 2006, 2:18 am #8

Hi

I did not expect that from you

Oliver

P.S i feelvery hurt lol yes i'll stop

[/IMG]

December 12th, 2006, 4:18 am #9

You have a great gun there and so I wish you would treat it with the care it requires.
I love my Quest and hope you will learn to do likewise.
take care, Walter....
Walter....