Notes on mil-dot ranging for FT

Notes on mil-dot ranging for FT

April 30th, 2010, 6:19 pm #1

I've done a little writeup on my experiments with using mil-dots for ranging - at full magnification. Hope a few of you might find this interesting. Please send comments - this is my second draft - I'm certainly willing to update if I can clear anything up. IMHO - this method has great potential for nailing down those long distances.

The URL is:

http://www.rcarter.net/iaftc2010/howto.pdf

Last edited by raydj on April 30th, 2010, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lhd

April 30th, 2010, 9:27 pm #2

Folks with lower powered variables were able to "range" using the mag power settings to bracket the duplex reticle on the killzone. This worked for a couple yrs or more in UK, since they were generally using standard killzone sizes. Over here, standard killzones only lasted from around 85' to 86'.

Nowadays, unless you have the homecourt advantage of knowing the measurements of all the target bases, killones, or whatever, the system is fairly useless.

I see the milldot ranging method as about the same as above, and will stick to the in-focus/outta-focus method of determining range, then use the dots for holdover.

April 30th, 2010, 10:31 pm #3

The shortcomings of the system (knowing a measurable dimension of the target) is acknowledged. I view it not so much as a replacement of the 'in focus' 'out of focus' system but rather an augmentation. It's certainly not needed below 45 yards. A lot of clubs use a lot of GAMO targets, for example. It will work well for 'standard' targets - all the GAMO targets have a 7" wide base.