Newest addition

Newest addition

April 24th, 2007, 9:04 pm #1

A while back, I saw an ad in the paper for a SB lathe. I try to get out and look at all the machinery for sale around here, even if I don't buy anything. I sometimes get to look at a persons shop and see thier stuff and maybe talk machines a little. So the SB was huge, with a 6' bed, and ancient with no qc gearbox. I wasn't interested in the lathe, but got to check out the guys shop and noticed he had an old shaper in the corner.

He asks what I do for a living and I tell him, give him my card. A month or so later, he calls and says he needs some work done, and would I want the shaper. We haggled a little, and I ended up getting a little cash and the shaper. It came out of the local high school when they dropped the machine shop program some years ago. Finally got it home today, and now have to figure out what to do with it. I've forgotten anything I might have learned in hi school, so its like starting fresh.

Anyway, heres some pictures;

People have asked me what I'm going to do with it, since it is basically obsolete unless you want to cut internal keyways and such. I really don't know yet, have to get it working first. The arm for the power feed needs new bushings, and there is no vise. The motor bracket got bent somehow during the move. But after I get those things fixed, and play with it for a while, maybe I'll think of some use for it. There has to be some airgun related application, just have to figure out what it is.

Anyway, I thought you folks might be interested to see it.

Oh, and the guy that bought that SB lathe said he needed to make irrigation fittings and stuff like that. But he lives in the hills inland, and theres only one crop that needs irrigating out there. So, I'm guessing it was a pot grower bought it. He took cash out of a paper bag when he bought it, according to the seller.

April 24th, 2007, 11:31 pm #2

That looks like quite a hunk of iron there!!! It is a very useful machine and certainly has some applications for airguns. It is basically a milling machine that cuts in a stroking motion instead of a rotary motion. It sure looks like it has a helluva motor on it. It is probably a power that you may not have in your garage tho. I would think that once you get it wired up and repaired it will be real fun to play with. You do not really need a vice( it would be nice to have one tho) just get yourself a clamp kit for a milling machine that fits the t slots on that monster and you should be able to clamp about anything to that table. There was a machine shop that was local to me when I lived down in florida that had one of those and I used to watch them use it once in a while. I have never personally run it tho. It appears to have a clapper on the head that is a plus as long as it is not too worn out. That is basically the pivoting piece that allows the cutter to clear the workpiece after each stroke. These are sometimes a very worn out part. If you find it is, I have a set of plans somewhere around here for one that was featured in Home shop machinist magazine. Good luck with your new monster, I am sure you will be able to get it working. Hope to be able to see you at Huntsville this weekend...Peace my friend...

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net
Safe Journey Space Fans, Wherever you are....

April 25th, 2007, 5:14 am #3

Actually, I'm looking forward to getting this thing back to usable condition. The seller threw in the stand, but kept the base (which had wheels on it). So, I have to get some castors for it, then beef up the base, clean up the machine, fix this and that. I guess I'm just a sucker for old US machines. I like the way they look. And the way they work, usually pretty simple, 1 moving part that works is better than 3 or 4 that works. We must have had some great mechanical engineers back in the day.

April 25th, 2007, 10:18 am #4

A while back, I saw an ad in the paper for a SB lathe. I try to get out and look at all the machinery for sale around here, even if I don't buy anything. I sometimes get to look at a persons shop and see thier stuff and maybe talk machines a little. So the SB was huge, with a 6' bed, and ancient with no qc gearbox. I wasn't interested in the lathe, but got to check out the guys shop and noticed he had an old shaper in the corner.

He asks what I do for a living and I tell him, give him my card. A month or so later, he calls and says he needs some work done, and would I want the shaper. We haggled a little, and I ended up getting a little cash and the shaper. It came out of the local high school when they dropped the machine shop program some years ago. Finally got it home today, and now have to figure out what to do with it. I've forgotten anything I might have learned in hi school, so its like starting fresh.

People have asked me what I'm going to do with it, since it is basically obsolete unless you want to cut internal keyways and such. I really don't know yet, have to get it working first. The arm for the power feed needs new bushings, and there is no vise. The motor bracket got bent somehow during the move. But after I get those things fixed, and play with it for a while, maybe I'll think of some use for it. There has to be some airgun related application, just have to figure out what it is.

Oh, and the guy that bought that SB lathe said he needed to make irrigation fittings and stuff like that. But he lives in the hills inland, and theres only one crop that needs irrigating out there. So, I'm guessing it was a pot grower bought it. He took cash out of a paper bag when he bought it, according to the seller.
You could always hook your handpump to the ram,to pump up your PCP.

April 25th, 2007, 11:40 am #5

Using a simple inexpensive tool bit ground to any shape you want to cut, you can machine stuff that would require fancy custom end mills or CNC capability on a mill.

They may be pretty much obsolete for modern industry, but certainly not for the garage tinkerer.

April 25th, 2007, 3:25 pm #6

...replace that wimpy motor with something bigger....lol j/k

impressive machine

April 25th, 2007, 8:54 pm #7

You could always hook your handpump to the ram,to pump up your PCP.
A little heavy to carry around in the field though.

April 25th, 2007, 10:14 pm #8

A guy that I work with has a 7" Atlas shaper that he would part with. He says that it has a vice with it, and a stand also. It works on 110V.

He's not too internet savvy, so I told him that I'd mention it in this forum in case someone else was looking for one. He wants $450, and it is a pick-up only. He's about 20 miles from St. Louis, Missouri, on the Illinois side of the river.

If anyone is interested, I can make arrangements to get over there and take some pictures.

BigEd

"Nuke 'em til they glow, then shoot 'em in the dark"

April 26th, 2007, 10:20 am #9

Jon,from the pictures you have parts missing from the automatic feed.On the right side of the shaper the wheel with the T slot has a linkage that connects with the ratchet arrangement by the handle.I had a shaper like yours for about 10 yrs never used it.Where I used to work we had the mother of all shapers it would fire sharp blue springs at you.They will certinly hog off some metal.