New Mrod, how do I tune it?

New Mrod, how do I tune it?

February 7th, 2010, 8:35 pm #1

I ordered a new Mrod .22 on Wed. and my dealer just called to say it's here! I will pick it up Monday and I can't wait to shoot my first PCP. I am new here but I have been reading the posts and it seems the Mrod needs some tuning out of the box. What needs to be done? I have a crony and lots of pellets, mostly CPs. Any advice? I also have a new Benji Pump from Straight Shooters. Wondered about using a Simmons Whitetail Classic AO 50mm scope but I think it might be too long to look right on the Mrod. Any thoughts on the scope? Thanks, Jim.

February 7th, 2010, 10:15 pm #2

Jim, my experience with my Mrod has been short (a couple of weeks now) and I have not done any adjustments.It shot very well out of the box.Granted I have a limited area in which to shoot and I am by no means a sharpshooter but I say just shoot it and see what it does.It is a large profile gun so I dont think you could put a scope on it that would look to big.Enjoy the new toy and let us know how it performes.Regards,Jim

February 8th, 2010, 1:44 pm #3

I ordered a new Mrod .22 on Wed. and my dealer just called to say it's here! I will pick it up Monday and I can't wait to shoot my first PCP. I am new here but I have been reading the posts and it seems the Mrod needs some tuning out of the box. What needs to be done? I have a crony and lots of pellets, mostly CPs. Any advice? I also have a new Benji Pump from Straight Shooters. Wondered about using a Simmons Whitetail Classic AO 50mm scope but I think it might be too long to look right on the Mrod. Any thoughts on the scope? Thanks, Jim.
Put the scope on it....any scope will do...you won't find many that will look to big for the gun.....air it up, and shoot it.

The tuning piece comes in for folks when they feel they've reached their potential in shooting the gun and wish to optimize the gun's performance.

I would suggest pumping the gun to around 2700psi (the manual will say 2500psi, but I've found most like around 2650-2700psi out of the box), and just shooting to your heart's content.

When you've familiarized yourself with the gun, and enjoyed shooting it for a while, break out your chrony and run some shot strings and see where it's shooting. If you want more velocity or shots, then you can start tuning the gun. The A-team's tuning document (found at the top of the page?) is a great place to start tuning. It's very explanitory...but once you start tuning, set aside about 3-4 hours of chrony time to get it right...

Hope this helps.

s/f

Jamie

February 8th, 2010, 10:24 pm #4

Thanks guys. The gun is here. I couldn't wait for my high mounts so I scoped her with an old Simmons 3X - 9X . Problems with parallax at close range but WOW!!!!!!! Why did I wait so long to buy a PCP? Been loving my RWS 350 but I had no idea how quiet and how much fun this Mrod would be. But I don't have the right cleaning tools. Is there a special kit to buy? My homemade string and weight won't work with this gun. And btw, is it normal for the barrel to wiggle inside the barrel band? I can move the barrel/shroud around with very little force. Seems like this would affect accuracy.
Last edited by Jimsh on February 8th, 2010, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2010, 12:01 am #5

that is sold in the classifieds for $8 for cleaning. Best tool going for the M-Rods. Moisten a 2" patch with a non-solvent cleaner and pull through the barrel from the muzzle end. The patch should fit snog and offer resistance for better "scrubbing". Do NOT use a bristle cleaning brush! You may have to do this many times as the M-Rod bores are notoriously dirty from the factory. When the patches start coming out clean, you're done.

The shroud should be tightened hand-snug (lefty-loosy / righty-tighty) and NOT touch the barrel band anywhere. You may have to loosen the two set screws in the bottom of the barrel band to adjust. There is an O-ring inside the barrel band the will "cushion" the shroud if any side pressure is exerted on it, but it should not touch it in a static state.

Hope you enjoy your M-Rod as much as I do mine!

AndyH
Last edited by AndyH44 on February 9th, 2010, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2010, 1:21 am #6

by using the soda straw trick I was able to get some patches down the barrel. It didn't seem to be very dirty. I will work on the barrel band. So far the gun seems very accurate with CPs in my basement at 7 yds. A snow storm prevents outside testing but when the wind dies down in a day or two I will test it outside. My oh my this gun is quiet! The squirrels and starlings are in a heap of trouble round here. Thanks again, Jim.

February 9th, 2010, 2:54 am #7

Thanks guys. The gun is here. I couldn't wait for my high mounts so I scoped her with an old Simmons 3X - 9X . Problems with parallax at close range but WOW!!!!!!! Why did I wait so long to buy a PCP? Been loving my RWS 350 but I had no idea how quiet and how much fun this Mrod would be. But I don't have the right cleaning tools. Is there a special kit to buy? My homemade string and weight won't work with this gun. And btw, is it normal for the barrel to wiggle inside the barrel band? I can move the barrel/shroud around with very little force. Seems like this would affect accuracy.
I asked the same question on the yellow forum, these were the answers. The easiest way is to remove the bolt!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/581291/t ... r+cleaning

Mike Tipton