New MAX Owners: Don't Count Chickens Too Soon

New MAX Owners: Don't Count Chickens Too Soon

May 12th, 2012, 12:46 am #1

I've been burned twice now, so of course I'm wary...and maybe a little grumpy, but don't get your hopes up until you try your MAXes out. What I mean is, I am not so sure that Evanix knows what causes the gun's problems.

Example: Evanix told PA that the double-tap was caused by over-driving the gun with a 9.6 volt battery. So I went back to the 8.4 volt battery, and the 2nd mag I tried double-tapped on the first shot.

Example: after being worked on, my .22 Speed had two NEW PROBLEMS. Brad wrote, "The Korean Evanix Techs have been at PA working with the PA air guns techs on prepping the guns for shipment, and that PA is going to go through each gun and test it very carefully before they ship." But maybe that introduces new troubles. (Are they testing only that the old problems are fixed, or is it a comprehensive test that will also catch new problems?)

Example: Evanix re-designed the magazines, dropping the plastic chamber piece for an aluminum one. Were these tested any better than the originals?

To sum up: don't count your chickens before they hatch.

May 12th, 2012, 12:52 am #2

Is that all the problems where reported on .22 and .177 guns

The .25s have being trubble free so far.

Of Course we'll see with time but those numbers are incouraging for those looking to buy .25s

==============================
Dragon Claw .50 "Tuned"
DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra "Black Mamba" .357 "Tuned"
Career 707 Ultra .357
Career 707 III Carbine .25
Sumatra Rifle .25
Sumatra Carbine .25 "Tuned"
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Hatsan Torpedo 100 x .22 "Tuned"
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter Sport .177 "Tuned"
Hunter 220 .177

May 12th, 2012, 1:18 am #3

Yep! Manny....Clearly, let's keep our fingers crossed on this one n' .25 Cal

May 12th, 2012, 1:38 am #4

Is that all the problems where reported on .22 and .177 guns

The .25s have being trubble free so far.

Of Course we'll see with time but those numbers are incouraging for those looking to buy .25s

==============================
Dragon Claw .50 "Tuned"
DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra "Black Mamba" .357 "Tuned"
Career 707 Ultra .357
Career 707 III Carbine .25
Sumatra Rifle .25
Sumatra Carbine .25 "Tuned"
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Hatsan Torpedo 100 x .22 "Tuned"
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter Sport .177 "Tuned"
Hunter 220 .177
which kind of leads me to think that the troubles were showing up in All calibers
granted we have not heard here of a problem .25 but I'd not be surprised at all if there were ones with issues...just as I'm sure there are .177s and .22s that ran fine.

frankly with an electro-pneumatic design other than the difference in magazines the basic mechanical repeating elements are going to be consitant between the caliber variations so it shouldn't mean anything with regards to doubling or some of the other reported failings

but we will see I guess

I just hate these premature happy dances regarding products not yet in real world owners hands...LOL

May 12th, 2012, 2:00 am #5

I've been burned twice now, so of course I'm wary...and maybe a little grumpy, but don't get your hopes up until you try your MAXes out. What I mean is, I am not so sure that Evanix knows what causes the gun's problems.

Example: Evanix told PA that the double-tap was caused by over-driving the gun with a 9.6 volt battery. So I went back to the 8.4 volt battery, and the 2nd mag I tried double-tapped on the first shot.

Example: after being worked on, my .22 Speed had two NEW PROBLEMS. Brad wrote, "The Korean Evanix Techs have been at PA working with the PA air guns techs on prepping the guns for shipment, and that PA is going to go through each gun and test it very carefully before they ship." But maybe that introduces new troubles. (Are they testing only that the old problems are fixed, or is it a comprehensive test that will also catch new problems?)

Example: Evanix re-designed the magazines, dropping the plastic chamber piece for an aluminum one. Were these tested any better than the originals?

That this had to happen! I am sure things will get sorted out, maybe they were just a bit to anxious to get in on the market? The only thing I can't understand is you would think this would have shown up in there testing the gun? They or any company has to know that this is the one and most important aspects of letting the gun go to distributers for sale! Like I said with as many owners having problems, you would have thought they would have caught the problems that are going on? But on another note these things happen, even with the best of companies! I hope they get it figured out, it does seem like a well put together air gun!

May 12th, 2012, 2:39 am #6

I like Roberts attitude, and think he should get one of these guns to play with! NT

May 12th, 2012, 2:47 am #7

While I'm not pleased to see any new product go though initial problems, I kind of expect it.In house testing NEVER shows the problems of real-world use.

Would be way past my level of competency to get running right.

May 12th, 2012, 3:06 am #8

which kind of leads me to think that the troubles were showing up in All calibers
granted we have not heard here of a problem .25 but I'd not be surprised at all if there were ones with issues...just as I'm sure there are .177s and .22s that ran fine.

frankly with an electro-pneumatic design other than the difference in magazines the basic mechanical repeating elements are going to be consitant between the caliber variations so it shouldn't mean anything with regards to doubling or some of the other reported failings

but we will see I guess

I just hate these premature happy dances regarding products not yet in real world owners hands...LOL
I'm sure you'll be doing a "Happy" dance if our guns do turn out to be troublesome.

Don't mess with old people. We didn't get that way by being stupid........
Last edited by BradnCAL on May 12th, 2012, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, 2012, 3:33 am #9

And I'm not certain what to expect with these new guns for sure.

I've been on the fence whether to cancel my order or not, mainly because of your unfortunate experience.

It was the main reason why I called PA today and talked with another "Greg" and posted what "Greg" told me over the phone.

So much negative press already, thought some positive talk would be refreshing to folks with orders in place.

Can't help but have one's hopes up with a new toy it's just the way it goes when you have one coming your way, as we all know.

Can't blame you for being wary after getting your hopes dashed not once but twice. Still hanging in there for a fix shows more patience than I have for sure.

I did ask "Greg" about the mag up date and he wasn't aware of it.
And he did not go into any more detail regarding the testing than I've posted so far.

If it don't work then it goes back simple as that.
It'll cost me some dashed hopes, and maybe shipping charges.
But I've been down that road several times with air guns before.

I sure hope they get yours fixed or send you a newer version that works.

We shall see what we shall see. In about a week..still a rush no matter.

Don't mess with old people. We didn't get that way by being stupid........

May 12th, 2012, 3:35 am #10

X 3 here as well........nt