New Marauder .22

New Marauder .22

January 8th, 2010, 11:16 pm #1

Well, it finally arrived last night from AoA (long story) and I just had to run a couple of pellets through it even though it was dark outside. It already had about 2000 psi in it so I loaded up a couple of Kodiaks and I was blown away with how quiet this thing is! I was wondering if maybe the velocity was way down or ????

Today, I ran a bunch of different pellets through it to see which it had a preference for. One thing for certain, it absolutely hates JSB Exact Jumbo 15.8s! I really think I could throw them more accurately than this gun shoots them! At first I though something was wrong with it, but after trying several other pellets, it started showing it's true self ; easily punching ragged one-hole groups at 25 yards. I guess it like the Beeman FTS the best so far. I got 40 very accurate shots averaging 880 fps.

With so many ways to "tweak" this gun, I just know I'm going to be very busy this winter! Damn! Why did I have to get this thing? The "air-devil" is screwing with me again!

AndyH

January 9th, 2010, 3:15 am #2

I am amazed how badly mine shoots JSB's also.

What is it that is causes this to happen? It seems to have something to do with the softer lead pellets.

I don't think it is a "clipping" issue. Not just one or two fliers like you would see with clipping. But a whole group of ten shots spread out 2-3" ctc at 35 yards.

Mine was made late in September so there should be no issues with clipping (plus it's a .177).

CPH's on big hole at 35 yards.

January 9th, 2010, 5:20 am #3

My 22 cal mrod shoots jsbs very well out to 50 yards. it shoots premiers and beeman fts very well also. the one pellet it dont shoot so well is rws round nose it wont group them well at all. this is the only gun i have that dont shoot rws well. I am wondering just how well a LW barrel is over a good crosman barrel? i have another mrod on the way and was wondering.

January 9th, 2010, 6:32 pm #4

I am amazed how badly mine shoots JSB's also.

What is it that is causes this to happen? It seems to have something to do with the softer lead pellets.

I don't think it is a "clipping" issue. Not just one or two fliers like you would see with clipping. But a whole group of ten shots spread out 2-3" ctc at 35 yards.

Mine was made late in September so there should be no issues with clipping (plus it's a .177).

CPH's on big hole at 35 yards.
I have a September gun that had the old .249 bore baffles/cap. Crosman sent the .280 versions free. The only way to know is mic it.

There are a number of theories on why the JSBs don't tend to work -- a rough inleade; too tight a choke. I understand Crosman is applying less choke to the latest barrel production.

January 10th, 2010, 7:00 pm #5

Well, it finally arrived last night from AoA (long story) and I just had to run a couple of pellets through it even though it was dark outside. It already had about 2000 psi in it so I loaded up a couple of Kodiaks and I was blown away with how quiet this thing is! I was wondering if maybe the velocity was way down or ????

Today, I ran a bunch of different pellets through it to see which it had a preference for. One thing for certain, it absolutely hates JSB Exact Jumbo 15.8s! I really think I could throw them more accurately than this gun shoots them! At first I though something was wrong with it, but after trying several other pellets, it started showing it's true self ; easily punching ragged one-hole groups at 25 yards. I guess it like the Beeman FTS the best so far. I got 40 very accurate shots averaging 880 fps.

With so many ways to "tweak" this gun, I just know I'm going to be very busy this winter! Damn! Why did I have to get this thing? The "air-devil" is screwing with me again!

AndyH
JSB's...well at least the exacts and jumbo's....it loves the stratons and predators for some reason.....

But, the five that I've unboxed since October have all shot the JSB's immaculately well......but they also have significantly less choke in the barrels...and that's my theory of why they won't shoot them....

s/f

Jamie

January 10th, 2010, 11:03 pm #6

AndyH
For those who know me, I am an experimenter, tinkerer, and just can't leave things as they are. So.....I just had to apply some "tweaks" to my new Marauder to see what happens when this and that get screwed this way and that way! Anyhow, I backed out the air screw 1/2 turn from factory, screwed in the hammer spring 3 turns, and found the striker was at full stroke (factory setting). Starting with 2800 psi, I got 35 shots @ 905 avg with an ES of 34 with Beeman FTSs. Pretty much what I was looking for velocity-wise. Ending psi was about 2200. Just for S & G's, I loaded a clip with a mixed bag of pellets; Predator HPs, Beeman FTSs, & Crow Mags, and put them into one slightly ragged hole at 11 yards! Good Golly I'm happy with this gun! Now for my custom laminated thumbhole stock that SOMEONE will make for me!

AndyH
Last edited by AndyH44 on January 10th, 2010, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 13th, 2010, 9:49 pm #7

I have a September gun that had the old .249 bore baffles/cap. Crosman sent the .280 versions free. The only way to know is mic it.

There are a number of theories on why the JSBs don't tend to work -- a rough inleade; too tight a choke. I understand Crosman is applying less choke to the latest barrel production.
Hi Guys!

I had the same situation with JSB pellets, 14.5 gr Superdome.

When I switched to H&N 21 gr Barracuda (an excellent pellet!!!) my groups tightened
right up. I must assume there is something with the softer lead. I had a lot of deformed
pels in the JSB tin. The Kodiaks and H&N were spot on perfect! Every one was good.

So, I believe a heavier pellet is needed for the power of the Maudie, and the harder
lead in the Beeman and H&N seems to get the job done.

That being said, these are tight fitting pels, so you may have to push some of them
all the way in the magazine. Length is not a problem. They have wide, well formed skirts.
A VERY small price to pay for the accuracy and punch these bad boys present.

Try the H&N Barracudas. They are really nice looking, well formed, and fly straight and true.

Hepotter

January 15th, 2010, 6:07 am #8

AndyH
i don't understand the differences in these guns. mine is .22 cal. i always try several different pellets in a new gun to find out what mine likes. i have the cp's in the cardboard box, jsb 15.8 exacts, rws super domes and superpoints. all the pellets shot decent but the jsb's shot half the group size of the second best (cp's in the cardboard box). the furtherest i've shot so far is 80 yards, gonna try it at 100 soon, and it easily groups the jsb's under 3/4 inch. i believe it'll easily group them an inch or under at 100 yards if i do my part. my rifle was manufactured sept. 09. i do pick thru the jsb's and find the ones that don't have deformed skirts to do my testing. i guess it's the softer lead but a lot of them have bent skirts. i need to make me a tool to straighten them i guess. sure do hate to discard up to a 1/3 of a can sometimes. so far i love this gun.