new issue , i turn on the longitudinal power feed , and as it engages the work

new issue , i turn on the longitudinal power feed , and as it engages the work

August 1st, 2012, 6:01 am #1

It now backs out the the spindle..it used to make a turning pass on tye work, now it simply threads itself back out to avoid the resistance of cutting..yes, i know you are thinking " oh god rob, go to trade school" but i had this working fine till today so its not me this time.tia

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

August 1st, 2012, 1:26 pm #2

There are internet forums devoted to 7X lathes.
Sounds like you need some expert assistance.

I just made a repair on the input shaft of the Ortlinghause spindle speed gearbox fitted to the Weiler. The key, keyway, and shaft were all knocked up. Hard pulley bore, and a pretty hard shaft. Lots of fussy work with mill and file fitting a stepped key. Thank you LOCTITE for filling in where I leave off.

Since the lathe is over 40 years old, I'm OK with it needing some attention.
Boy was that box heavy to rehang under the headstock!

Cheers

August 1st, 2012, 2:01 pm #3

It now backs out the the spindle..it used to make a turning pass on tye work, now it simply threads itself back out to avoid the resistance of cutting..yes, i know you are thinking " oh god rob, go to trade school" but i had this working fine till today so its not me this time.tia

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>
stop advancing, or does the tool post/cross feed back up?

August 1st, 2012, 3:04 pm #4

There are internet forums devoted to 7X lathes.
Sounds like you need some expert assistance.

I just made a repair on the input shaft of the Ortlinghause spindle speed gearbox fitted to the Weiler. The key, keyway, and shaft were all knocked up. Hard pulley bore, and a pretty hard shaft. Lots of fussy work with mill and file fitting a stepped key. Thank you LOCTITE for filling in where I leave off.

Since the lathe is over 40 years old, I'm OK with it needing some attention.
Boy was that box heavy to rehang under the headstock!

Cheers
I found a complete teardown guide..ill have a look tonight to figure out why the bearing is backing out.

August 1st, 2012, 3:09 pm #5

stop advancing, or does the tool post/cross feed back up?
And stays put..then the spindle etc starts to back out and i can whole rig basically disassemble itself very slowly..i then need to turn off feed, manually back it out away from work, then slide and push the whole think back in place ( yes slide and yes i need to turn off machine because this sliding may bump where i left off) its a unimat3 if that helps.;

August 1st, 2012, 8:32 pm #6

August 1st, 2012, 10:22 pm #7

How do i remedy this.

August 2nd, 2012, 2:35 am #8

If it was working fine, and now it isn't, the crosslide may be loose and it doesn't hold the tool post up against the work.

If it is loose look at the assembly to see how it can be tightened. I'm not familiar with Unimat but there is a forum for that machine, they'll know.

August 2nd, 2012, 6:23 am #9

I need to keep pressure on spindle holding it in place, not fun at all.

August 2nd, 2012, 1:19 pm #10

First off, did you purchase this lathe new or used? When you say it backs out the spindle, you are talking about the spindle the three jaw chuck is mounted too? I am not at all clear on your terminology and none of what you are saying makes any sense to me. Not meaning to be critical, don't get me wrong, but let's be clear on what we are talking about.

What "threads itself back out"? Do you have a manual for the lathe and if so, check out the diagrams and the part names so we are using the correct part names.

I have been following your posts and watched your video and so far I am more in the dark regarding your issue than you are!

Tom

"What, me worry?"

"If I were two faced would I be wearing this one?" - Abe Lincoln