New hunter rule question

New hunter rule question

February 1st, 2011, 11:24 pm #1

"Optical sights of any reticle style may be used, but are limited to a maximum of 12 power magnification. Variable scopes of greater max power than 12X must be turned to a 12X factory marking or the nearest lower factory marking on the scope"...It seems to be aimed at those using any big Nikko,as they would have to be set at 10X then as they have no 12X factory marking. If this understanding of this rule is correct could someone in charge in aafta confirm this. I post this here as it may affect many Hunter class shooters scope choice. I am asking this only to whoever in AAFTA is in charge of answering this sort of question...Thank`s Charles

February 2nd, 2011, 3:01 am #2

Charles, I'm not anyone that makes the rules but I don't think if a scope was labeled ....
say 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 like the Diamonds are that if you calibrated the distance between 10 and 15 yrds and had the scope set at where aproximately 12 power would fall that it would be wrong or illegal. We have no control over how the manufacture labels there products but do have the obligation to be fair as to where 12 power would fall. Obviously if half way between 10 and 15 is 12.5 then the scope should be set just about a 1/8 inch left of the mid point to be 12 power. I don't think we need to split hairs over it. If we do then I'm sure seat hights and adjustable combs would soon follow.

February 2nd, 2011, 3:37 am #3

What are we supposed to do? Set up 2 sets of numbers or take the 10x disadvantage and run around at every major match looking at the other Hunter class guys scopes to make sure they follow the rule like some dorky range cop. Just need to know actual rules as will be enforced. Will it be enforced like the 3/8 min. KZ rule?

February 2nd, 2011, 3:48 am #4

"Optical sights of any reticle style may be used, but are limited to a maximum of 12 power magnification. Variable scopes of greater max power than 12X must be turned to a 12X factory marking or the nearest lower factory marking on the scope"...It seems to be aimed at those using any big Nikko,as they would have to be set at 10X then as they have no 12X factory marking. If this understanding of this rule is correct could someone in charge in aafta confirm this. I post this here as it may affect many Hunter class shooters scope choice. I am asking this only to whoever in AAFTA is in charge of answering this sort of question...Thank`s Charles
Think it's fair that anyone using an $800 50X telescope to play Hunter Class should have to run it per the new rules... or invest in another one after Nikko-Sterling responds with one marked with a 12X setting.

February 2nd, 2011, 4:37 am #5

What are we supposed to do? Set up 2 sets of numbers or take the 10x disadvantage and run around at every major match looking at the other Hunter class guys scopes to make sure they follow the rule like some dorky range cop. Just need to know actual rules as will be enforced. Will it be enforced like the 3/8 min. KZ rule?
Hello Charles,
During BOG discussions during the past month, one of the topics brought up was that when Hunter was started, that it was not intended to be an equipment race for high end guns and high end scopes. It was for lower end sporter class guns and lower end scopes limiting to 12x. During these discussions, the recommendation was made to limit scopes to those with 12x factory markings. That would have eliminated those shooters who already had Nikko's on their Hunter rigs or force them to replace their scopes. An alternative recommendation was made to modify that initial recommendation to "12x or the next lower factory marking". That recommendation was passed and put into place.
My intent was to post this change this week as it was updated on the AAFTA web site within the past four days but had not had the opportunity to download the file containing the revisions to reference for the post. I plan to make that post in the next couple of days as my schedule allows.

Robert Ray
AAFTA Chair

February 2nd, 2011, 4:47 am #6

Think it's fair that anyone using an $800 50X telescope to play Hunter Class should have to run it per the new rules... or invest in another one after Nikko-Sterling responds with one marked with a 12X setting.
Neither is rule enforcement at major matches by my observation.3/8 minimum KZ rule.This one got rid of some 1/4 inchers Checking guns for 20 or 12 FPDS.Never seen any checking yet "Shall".Guess this was so confusing it was ignored then dropped.Shooting targets out of order.Roughly half the major matches I have observed guys ignoring this one. Not blaming anyone though.Most people hate playing range cop ,some just refuse. Match directors and their teams have a tough job keeping everyone happy and do a great job on a very low budget IMHO...c

February 2nd, 2011, 4:51 am #7

Hello Charles,
During BOG discussions during the past month, one of the topics brought up was that when Hunter was started, that it was not intended to be an equipment race for high end guns and high end scopes. It was for lower end sporter class guns and lower end scopes limiting to 12x. During these discussions, the recommendation was made to limit scopes to those with 12x factory markings. That would have eliminated those shooters who already had Nikko's on their Hunter rigs or force them to replace their scopes. An alternative recommendation was made to modify that initial recommendation to "12x or the next lower factory marking". That recommendation was passed and put into place.
My intent was to post this change this week as it was updated on the AAFTA web site within the past four days but had not had the opportunity to download the file containing the revisions to reference for the post. I plan to make that post in the next couple of days as my schedule allows.

Robert Ray
AAFTA Chair
that if a class has a scope magnification limit then no scope used in that class should be capable of exceeding that limit.

That cuts down on the overall expense of the equipment and the newer shooters won't stay away because of looking at other competitors using equipment turned down to gain an advantage by spending excessive amounts.

JMHO

Ray

<p>A Team PCP Tuning Document</p><p>Field Target Locations GeoCache (GPS file)</p>(please note the site does go down with high
traffic so check back if it isn't available)
<p>YouTube Videos</p>

February 2nd, 2011, 4:54 am #8

Hello Charles,

Robert Ray
AAFTA Chair
nt.

lhd

February 2nd, 2011, 7:21 am #9

And use a lower powered scope? I bought a fixed 10X scope on PURPOSE, just to show there's no need at all to use a ginastic sidewheeler scope in order to be competitive in Hunter class. My scope has nearly ZERO capability of accurately ranging distances beyond 25yds, and I feel good about this!

February 2nd, 2011, 8:49 am #10

Charles, I'm not anyone that makes the rules but I don't think if a scope was labeled ....
say 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 like the Diamonds are that if you calibrated the distance between 10 and 15 yrds and had the scope set at where aproximately 12 power would fall that it would be wrong or illegal. We have no control over how the manufacture labels there products but do have the obligation to be fair as to where 12 power would fall. Obviously if half way between 10 and 15 is 12.5 then the scope should be set just about a 1/8 inch left of the mid point to be 12 power. I don't think we need to split hairs over it. If we do then I'm sure seat hights and adjustable combs would soon follow.
Couldnt it be argued that 13X was an unfair advantage over those that use 12X?

It is what it is, because it is!!!