New High BAR?

New High BAR?

November 11th, 2017, 1:55 am #1

New high bar for Nationals?

I want to start another “Thank you” tread to keep going Thanks to all who worked so hard to make the 2017 AAFTA National Field Target Championships a spectacular success. So many people must work long unpaid hours to pull off such an event like this. The targets seemed to worked very well… I don’t think there were many if any “cold lines” from target malfunction.

A lot of cold lines did occur mostly from re-set strings in the “spinney” landscape, which is a very hard thing to deal with in this beautiful, dangerous, but pleasant climate venue. I was a little skeptical about the course shooting all in one direction and basically all level shots…. But it became ALL about a tricky mostly left to right, sometimes straight on, sometimes gusting right to left, WIND….. SO, simple, predictable course it WAS not. Fun and competitive Venue it WAS!

Garret Also did a superb job of promoting and getting sponsors for the 2017 AAFTA National Field Target Championships. It was truly a grand event…. The most grand of all the Nationals of the past I’m sure.

I would also guess that the auction generated more money than any past Nationals as well. We all need to thank Garret and those special sponsors that really stepped up! Especially, Air Guns of Arizona. I hope we all will direct our purchases their way in thanks and to show them, they made a smart investment with those substantial donations, and they and other vendors will show such great support again in the future. I doubt Garret could have covered all the costs of this grand event with the match fees alone…. And that kind of scares me, IF we now have a higher bar to jump as clubs and match directors hoping to host the AAFTA Nationals in the future.

My fear is that only a few clubs have Vendors actively supporting them for a GP or National Event … it’s usually the local club close to the Vendor… Crosman, PA Cup, and now this Grand and fun event in Sunny Arizona, but what about the smaller clubs that don’t live next to a major vendor? Can they host a match of such grandeur? Are they now expected to? Will the sponsors support them as generously?

Again, and I hope Garret will chime in and confirm or correct my guess about the “books” of the event, the “grandeur” of the event could not have been as great with match fees alone.
Let’s hope the competitors don’t expect this “classy” of event from all clubs in the future

Now, I do have a couple of suggestions, well really only one (which I can totally understand might be neglected while making sure the Ice-cream cart would be on time): 1 and only 1. Fresh Paint on all targets before each days match. It may seem like a small matter, heck they will be shot up after a few lanes anyway.

But if you start day two in a puzzle of what’s going on with the wind or your equipment, then a couple lanes of clean faceplates can be all the difference. That’s a big deal in my opinion. I hope that AAFTA will make that a requirement for all GP and National Championships.

This brings up another question about painting faceplates. If a target is painted “realistically”, then, one is less likely to want to repaint it with a quick blast of white or yellow like they do at the world contests. They want to repaint with the stencil or whatever AFTER all the abuse. I also think that AAFTA needs to REQIRE that the targets be white, yellow or light blue similar to the world rules. If you think about “equality” for the Grand Prix, then this seems a must at all those type matches. Again, Great Event!!

Wayne Burns
Ashland Air Rifle Range

November 11th, 2017, 1:42 pm #2

It was very professionally presented too.

I'd have to agree with you about re-painting.

The right paint goes a long way toward making that work. Paul Porch found that the Rustoleum American Accents 2X Ultra Cover sold in Walmart are the best available for the job out here. They bond well which results in minimum chip sizes from pellet strikes. Quick drying lacquers seem to be the kiss of death due to their large chip sizes. YMMV.

The only drawback I've found is that the nozzles don't clear well between uses on some cans. Shouldn't be an issue when repainting at a GP match.

Uniform faceplate colors save a lot of labor too.

K

November 11th, 2017, 3:30 pm #3

I buy the quart size and put a little in a paper cup and use a small 1" wide cheap paint brush.. a few strokes and your good. One guy does the face plate and one does the paddle with orange. It takes less than a minute per target.

I don't like breathing the over spray with the spray cans... and like you say they clog up and you loose half the can most times..

Wayne

November 11th, 2017, 8:27 pm #4

I want to start another “Thank you” tread to keep going Thanks to all who worked so hard to make the 2017 AAFTA National Field Target Championships a spectacular success. So many people must work long unpaid hours to pull off such an event like this. The targets seemed to worked very well… I don’t think there were many if any “cold lines” from target malfunction.

A lot of cold lines did occur mostly from re-set strings in the “spinney” landscape, which is a very hard thing to deal with in this beautiful, dangerous, but pleasant climate venue. I was a little skeptical about the course shooting all in one direction and basically all level shots…. But it became ALL about a tricky mostly left to right, sometimes straight on, sometimes gusting right to left, WIND….. SO, simple, predictable course it WAS not. Fun and competitive Venue it WAS!

Garret Also did a superb job of promoting and getting sponsors for the 2017 AAFTA National Field Target Championships. It was truly a grand event…. The most grand of all the Nationals of the past I’m sure.

I would also guess that the auction generated more money than any past Nationals as well. We all need to thank Garret and those special sponsors that really stepped up! Especially, Air Guns of Arizona. I hope we all will direct our purchases their way in thanks and to show them, they made a smart investment with those substantial donations, and they and other vendors will show such great support again in the future. I doubt Garret could have covered all the costs of this grand event with the match fees alone…. And that kind of scares me, IF we now have a higher bar to jump as clubs and match directors hoping to host the AAFTA Nationals in the future.

My fear is that only a few clubs have Vendors actively supporting them for a GP or National Event … it’s usually the local club close to the Vendor… Crosman, PA Cup, and now this Grand and fun event in Sunny Arizona, but what about the smaller clubs that don’t live next to a major vendor? Can they host a match of such grandeur? Are they now expected to? Will the sponsors support them as generously?

Again, and I hope Garret will chime in and confirm or correct my guess about the “books” of the event, the “grandeur” of the event could not have been as great with match fees alone.
Let’s hope the competitors don’t expect this “classy” of event from all clubs in the future

Now, I do have a couple of suggestions, well really only one (which I can totally understand might be neglected while making sure the Ice-cream cart would be on time): 1 and only 1. Fresh Paint on all targets before each days match. It may seem like a small matter, heck they will be shot up after a few lanes anyway.

But if you start day two in a puzzle of what’s going on with the wind or your equipment, then a couple lanes of clean faceplates can be all the difference. That’s a big deal in my opinion. I hope that AAFTA will make that a requirement for all GP and National Championships.

This brings up another question about painting faceplates. If a target is painted “realistically”, then, one is less likely to want to repaint it with a quick blast of white or yellow like they do at the world contests. They want to repaint with the stencil or whatever AFTER all the abuse. I also think that AAFTA needs to REQIRE that the targets be white, yellow or light blue similar to the world rules. If you think about “equality” for the Grand Prix, then this seems a must at all those type matches. Again, Great Event!!

Wayne Burns
Ashland Air Rifle Range
they sent me several hundred caps. Mainly because I use them exclusively for my target business

November 11th, 2017, 9:32 pm #5

a small box full of nozzles that I’m still working on two years later.

November 12th, 2017, 4:59 am #6

Wayne Burns
Ashland Air Rifle Range
We are shooting matches based on and led by AAFTA which has "America" as the first word, not World. I prefer the slightly more difficult naturally painted targets and believe they give the game a uniquely American flair, same as allowing more than 2 targets per lane, nad not requiring signage on each target.
We don't need to conform to what other countries do within our own borders.

November 12th, 2017, 5:35 am #7

While artistically painted targets are cute and pretty, they can be difficult to see when they are placed in the shadows. At that point the people who have spent the bucks to buy a Schmidt&Bender or a March scope have the advantage of being able to see clearly defined killzone edges where others are struggling to find the target and the killzone.

For Field Target to move forward from a "game" and become a "sport", it must embrace uniform standards. Targets that are clearly visible and painted in bright colors are a cornerstone in making sure that this sport rewards rifle/pistol handling skills and the ability to read the wind. Hard to find targets serve only frustration and/or force people to buy really expensive scopes.

November 12th, 2017, 5:44 am #8

I seem to do okay with my Hawke scopes and naturally painted targets. N/T

November 12th, 2017, 1:34 pm #9

We are shooting matches based on and led by AAFTA which has "America" as the first word, not World. I prefer the slightly more difficult naturally painted targets and believe they give the game a uniquely American flair, same as allowing more than 2 targets per lane, nad not requiring signage on each target.
We don't need to conform to what other countries do within our own borders.
more realistic targets as they are something different to see on a course. When you look at a 4’ long alligator or 30” tall kangaroo or egret, it adds some excitement to the match for me.

HOWEVER, with the limited scope power in Hunter, and the new shooter, coming with limited scope power, it can cause issues in ranging for them. So, there is a place for the solid targets.
At a pistol match, with the limited scope power at 12 and the distance max of 35 yards, the full painted target could be used. This because all competitors have the same restrictions. The distance will allow better viewing of the targets. Also, a rifle match in open areas would be fine for the full painted target too IMHO
So, I guess the issue would be a decision for the club to decide on.

November 12th, 2017, 3:03 pm #10

...it's a decision for the clubs to make themselves. As a MD, I value the "white spaces" in the AAFTA rules that allow me to make adjustments, or even be devious with my match layouts. I noticed that the Phoenix Nationals MD's used naturally painted targets and even went to lengths to disguise the concrete blocks they were sitting on to prevent the use of "bracketing" by Hunter class shooters. I say this is all part of the "game" that we play.