New Discovery - Huge disappointment!

New Discovery - Huge disappointment!

February 23rd, 2009, 12:08 am #1

I Recently purchased a new Discovery in 22 cal. I was very excited to shoot it but when I opened the box, assembled the pump, and tried to charge the gun, I heard a very audible air leak. I can also hear something rattling around inside the air resevoir. The leak is coming from around the pressure gauge but is not coming from either of the gauges threaded connections. Has this happened to anyone else?

February 23rd, 2009, 10:28 pm #2

February 23rd, 2009, 11:40 pm #3

I Recently purchased a new Discovery in 22 cal. I was very excited to shoot it but when I opened the box, assembled the pump, and tried to charge the gun, I heard a very audible air leak. I can also hear something rattling around inside the air resevoir. The leak is coming from around the pressure gauge but is not coming from either of the gauges threaded connections. Has this happened to anyone else?
I filled Disco with co2, that fixed it! Leave some pressure in gun so the valve seal will take a set (seal) on closing. Cannot pump fast enough to close valve and take a set, the first time.

February 24th, 2009, 6:21 am #4

Thanks for the info guys but I don't believe that it is a problem with the valve not seating. I don't know much about this gun but I think if the valve were the problem than it would be leaking out the barrel. I described the problem to the tech @ Pyramydair and he says it probably broken. I can actually hear something rattling around inside the air resevoir. Any other ideas? Thanks again for the quick response.

February 24th, 2009, 12:50 pm #5

Sounds like yours might have been dropped, bounced around the delivery truck, or kicked a few too many times.

February 24th, 2009, 4:40 pm #6

The rattle will go away when filled,it's the check valve in the fill stem. Cock the gun then try to fill. Cock and shoot then try again. Sometimes the valve just needs a little knock to seat the first time. If you're unwilling to try the simple things you might be better off without an airgun or with a simpler gun as issues come up from time to time that will need to be dealt with on most airguns. I'm not knocking pyramyd but is seems that their service has fallen to walmart(box store) standards. They do alot of business and instead of doing trouble shooting over the phone it's better (cheaper)to do an exchange. You might have a great out of the box gun if you try the simple things but again if unwilling to try buy from mac1 and have a guaranteed gun out of the box for a few extra dollars,yes only a few extra dollars and a working gun will be in your hands.

February 25th, 2009, 7:14 am #7

Mike,

I appreciate your input but I guess I don't quite understand. I can believe the rattle being a component of the valve/fill stem, what I can't see is, why the gun would not be leaking out of the barrel instead of around the pressure gage opening in the resevoir, if it was caused by the valve not seating. Another thing I don't quite understand is your comment about Pyramyd's service falling to Walmart standards...yet you seem to be ok with receiving a new $400 gun that you have to fiddle with to make work. Would you be ok with buying a new car that you had to make adjustments to the fuel injection to make it run? If your not willing to fix it you could just take it to your mechanic and for a few extra bucks he can make sure it's running like new for you. If not, maybe you should buy a bicycle, they are much simpler. It's not that I'm not willing to try the simple things, It's just that I shouldn't have to. I just bought a new T/C Omega 50 cal. muzzleloader (only $325) and I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary to get that to fire for the first time. Does Mac1 fire your rifle and make sure it works before they send it to you? I guess that is all I was expecting from Crosman (most would agree that's not asking too much). Once again, this is not an issue with my inability to understand and deal with "The complexities of an airgun" especially since I have repaired, restored, and owned many, most of which have not given me an ounce of trouble, especially not right out of the box (ones repaired and restored had been neglected by someone else). This is, however, an issue with a company with poor quality assurance.

February 25th, 2009, 2:39 pm #8

Yes mac1 does fire and adjust the gun to fire accurately and dependably. I apologize for being so left wing on suggestions and comments. I get frustrated with the fact that the forum has listed so many out of the box problems and solutions and people don't do any research before a purchase. With your analogy of a car, would you buy a car without a little research? If you knew a type of car was known to have problems but it was initially cheap and easy to fix the problems would you buy? Would you buy then be upset because the known problems are happening? Many products don't fill our expectations and sadly not many places(stores) have the customer service to make us(consumer) happy. I am happy that the store you bought from will replace your purchase but will they give your $ back or only credit toward an exchange? If the discovery is still a want on your list I do suggest mac1 because the service and quality has great reviews. I have no personal experience with mac1, I was lucky enough to purchase(box store)super cheap and the gun worked and performed perfectly out of the box. Again I didn't mean to personally attack you, I just wanted to throw some suggestions out that might save some time and effort. I understand the frustration of buying a product that didn't work out of the box. I feel this is part of consumer unrest in the US, why buy american if it is crap quality and for a few dollars less/more I can buy a foreign product that works.

February 25th, 2009, 3:42 pm #9

A common problem with guns that have been disassembled.

The gauge port in the airtube can have a burr that can scratch or tear the o-ring as it passes the port.

Try introducing a few drops of pellgun oil to the gauge port while sliding the gauge fore and aft. (with the action out of the gun.) the gauge will move when not aired up.

I also suspect the rattling is the fill valve cutoff. It should stop when the gun is filled.

Good luck.

Mike

---/---

February 25th, 2009, 4:19 pm #10

the pin in the check valve that the gun is filled from.
If the leak is coming from the area of the gauge, but not the gauge threads, or the threads of the fitting that the gauge is screwed into, the only thing that's left would be the "O" rings on that seal the gauge block to the lower tube.
However, my money is still on those two sets of threads. That's where mine, and a good deal of others leaked from. Some soap and water will tell for sure.
For the most part the Discovery is a pretty simple gun, that said, with some basic knowledge, a little patients, and if necessary a bit of guidance from some of the folks on this and the Crosman forum, the problem could be fixed. The other alternatives are the general rule, send it back and let the seller or manufacturer and let them deal with it. For me, rather than deal with the Post Office and the return hassle, I'd just fix it. The cost of materials, and the time I'd invest would for me, be the course of lease resistance.
Anthony