Need photos of all discover striker or hammer mods to date. Send my own two

Need photos of all discover striker or hammer mods to date. Send my own two

September 3rd, 2008, 8:41 pm #1

strikers off and the smith was wanting to see some examples.

I have two. Other than between 30-35 grams what other weight should I aim for?

Thanks in advance.

September 4th, 2008, 1:28 am #2

that I found to lighten hammers (strikers) is to run a carbide center cutting end mill into the spring bore and open the ID up, and cut it deeper till the face is about .060in thick. Then make a delrin bushing that's the original ID and depth. Doing this I can get QB hammers down to 36G, Sheridan hammers down to 35g. With room to further reduce the weight if I want. I'd guess that using this method you would have no difficulty reducing the Disco hammer to 25G..And the plus thing is that the outside of the hammer won't have to be deformed to do it.And the Delrin bushing makes the cocking become smoother.

September 4th, 2008, 2:05 am #3

strikers off and the smith was wanting to see some examples.

I have two. Other than between 30-35 grams what other weight should I aim for?

Thanks in advance.
I am just curious why the striker needs to be lighter. I am new and know nothing about PCP's. I have a springer but want a PCP. I am also a machinist and tool and die maker so I want the scoop on modifications.

September 4th, 2008, 3:06 am #4

September 4th, 2008, 9:19 am #5

I am just curious why the striker needs to be lighter. I am new and know nothing about PCP's. I have a springer but want a PCP. I am also a machinist and tool and die maker so I want the scoop on modifications.
now he knows what he's talking about.

September 5th, 2008, 7:24 am #6

Bell-shaped velocity curve
September 5 2008 at 3:00 AM Malan (Login malan128)
YF

Mike

Steve's reference to a bell-shaped curve is standard for non-regulated PCP rifles.... You have to do this tuning in order to get the maximum number of shots both sides of the "sweet-spot" of your fill pressure.....
This will determine the number of useable shots at which the POI will not deviate too much, especially at longer ranges of say 55 yards....

I agree with everything he says, although increasing the High Pressure valve spring will not work when you are striving for lower fill pressures and lighter hammer strikers....

malan

September 5th, 2008, 3:49 pm #7

a bell curve. If your valve is set up to "self reg" it will compensate for changing pressure quite well,within a reservoir pressure range of a few hundred psi to over 1000 psi,depending on the gun and setup.Minimizing air use(by keeping dwell short and minimizing or eliminating bounce) will widen the sweet spot,effectively flattening the curve further.

September 5th, 2008, 8:27 pm #8

I've certainly never seen one.

Steve

September 6th, 2008, 12:25 am #9

the QB pcp has given me strings that look like I described,at least as numbers.Maybe I'd better shut up until I graph them....

September 6th, 2008, 2:19 am #10

I've certainly never seen one.

Steve
Haven't managed a non-bell shape...can flatten it out a bit with carefull fiddling/adjusting, but it rises at the start and falls off at the end.

Of course, can make it look a lot better by only filling to the point where the rise ended and stop shooting befor fall-off pressure...trading shot count for more consistency. Still find a little one or two shot rise.

Can make a nice looking graph (although a short one as the shot count isn't real long) by filling to 1700psi and halting my shooting at 1200 psi.