Need help with CFX

Need help with CFX

October 23rd, 2006, 2:38 am #1

New here, been lurking a while and enjoyed the wealth of info so far.
Now I have some questions for the cfx gurus about a recently acquired gun, so here goes. Rifle came as a combo with BSA .22 special 4x32 scope new from a chain that deals in sporting goods and appears not to be a refurb. The scope rail seems to be welded to the reciever, the loading port is highly polished and the gun is marked simply cfx on the reciever along with GAMO and Made in Spain, lazer etched? Serial number is on the top of the barrel 04-235641-05.
Nearly every pellet available locally falls back out of the port, and nothing I put through it seems to group. Beeman crow magnums fit snug enough not to fall back when the muzzle is held up. The rear sight seems to need to be elevated an abnormal amount to get on paper at 10 yards, haven't tried beyond that or with the scope as I can't get a group with any of the pellets I tried. I own 9 other springers so I don't think it's me. The gun is not dieseling. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

October 23rd, 2006, 2:57 am #2

with great success judging by the groups they've posted. I use JSB 452's.

I do tilt the barrel down when I load or the JSB's will slide out also though. How do these look?

October 23rd, 2006, 3:05 am #3

Now I have some questions for the cfx gurus about a recently acquired gun, so here goes. Rifle came as a combo with BSA .22 special 4x32 scope new from a chain that deals in sporting goods and appears not to be a refurb. The scope rail seems to be welded to the reciever, the loading port is highly polished and the gun is marked simply cfx on the reciever along with GAMO and Made in Spain, lazer etched? Serial number is on the top of the barrel 04-235641-05.
Nearly every pellet available locally falls back out of the port, and nothing I put through it seems to group. Beeman crow magnums fit snug enough not to fall back when the muzzle is held up. The rear sight seems to need to be elevated an abnormal amount to get on paper at 10 yards, haven't tried beyond that or with the scope as I can't get a group with any of the pellets I tried. I own 9 other springers so I don't think it's me. The gun is not dieseling. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
are the best pellet. The scope that comes with that particular combo is a POS. No AO and the Parralax is at 50. You should have gotten this one for $209 shipped: http://www.gamousa.com//Catalog.aspx?Product=144

It comes with a fantastic scope

October 23rd, 2006, 3:13 am #4

I hated the scope that you have with your CFX. Make sure you hold your head in the same place as the parallax will change your impact point.

I have found that Beeman Kodiaks are the best in my CFX.

Chris

October 23rd, 2006, 5:16 am #5

with great success judging by the groups they've posted. I use JSB 452's.

I do tilt the barrel down when I load or the JSB's will slide out also though. How do these look?

for Field Target. Like Lon, I do tilt the barrel down for loading. Mine has the serial number on the side of the receiver, too. Ric

October 23rd, 2006, 5:29 am #6

Most Springers require a Break-In Period to settle down. You will need a better scope to keep the groups tighter. I recommend the BMUS approved Simmons 6.5-20X44AO 44 MAG Scope http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... D=SN801056 . Ric

SN SCP 6.5-20X44 AO MAT TGT MILD

Product Number: SN801056
Product Title: SN SCP 6.5-20X44AO MAT TT MIL 44
Item Price: $99.95
Availability: In Stock
Shipping Weight: 2.05 lbs.
Save over $60
Clear, bright view generated yb the multi-coated, camera-quality lens system, the smoothness of all-brass working parts. The most light you can get from a scope. Non-reflective satin finsih, 1/14 minute click adjustments. Comes with Target Style Turrets. Click Adjustments. Fogproof, waterproof & Shockproof.

October 23rd, 2006, 5:38 am #7

I hated the scope that you have with your CFX. Make sure you hold your head in the same place as the parallax will change your impact point.

I have found that Beeman Kodiaks are the best in my CFX.

Chris
have a slight "Black Ring" around the sight picture helps keep the same scope alignment shot-to-shot. Ric

October 23rd, 2006, 10:54 am #8

Thanks guys for the advice. I have put about 1200 pellets through it already so it should be capable of grouping by now. I didn't even bother trying most of the pellets that would fall back out since I figured they probably wouldn't do well with such a loose fit in the port. Guess I'll have to start over with the muzzle pointed down.
While the scope may be a POS (in your opinion)it works fine on my rimfire, I have a Bushnell 4X AO airgun scope to go on the cfx if and when the time comes. What I should have got was my money back, but lost the reciept so got store credit and ended up with the cfx with the scope. All shots so far were with the iron sights that came on the gun. The rear has been tweaked to eliminate the sloppy side to side play but requires a ridiculous amount of elevation to hit at 10 yards, barrel droop? I'm pushing 40, been shooting since I was 6 and got into springers about 1978. This isn't new territory for me, maybe I just got the factory door stop?
Last edited by treehunter on October 23rd, 2006, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 23rd, 2006, 2:36 pm #9

their warranty. And you don't need the receipt. Rather than just assume all CFX's are crap (contrary to what the poster's here are experiencing) just send the gun to Gamo with a $10 check and letter telling them what you think is wrong. You'll have either a new or repaired gun or your old one back with a letter explanation of if anything was wrong with it in the first place. Sounds to me like it has a .20 or .22 barrel.
Last edited by kenatthefarm on October 23rd, 2006, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 23rd, 2006, 4:43 pm #10

Thanks guys for the advice. I have put about 1200 pellets through it already so it should be capable of grouping by now. I didn't even bother trying most of the pellets that would fall back out since I figured they probably wouldn't do well with such a loose fit in the port. Guess I'll have to start over with the muzzle pointed down.
While the scope may be a POS (in your opinion)it works fine on my rimfire, I have a Bushnell 4X AO airgun scope to go on the cfx if and when the time comes. What I should have got was my money back, but lost the reciept so got store credit and ended up with the cfx with the scope. All shots so far were with the iron sights that came on the gun. The rear has been tweaked to eliminate the sloppy side to side play but requires a ridiculous amount of elevation to hit at 10 yards, barrel droop? I'm pushing 40, been shooting since I was 6 and got into springers about 1978. This isn't new territory for me, maybe I just got the factory door stop?
http://www.wlopa.com/wlopa_welcome.htm

and they would be glad to assist you. Contact David by clicking on my name on the upper left. I know there's a ton of shooting experience in this Forum, so I always assume that. The mounts that come with some BSA's are not enough to stop springer recoil. I own 2 of the BSA 4X15 scopes.
The RWS Superdomes do not fit "tightly" in my CFX, but shot well for score in a State Match. Ric