need advise on Gamo CFX

need advise on Gamo CFX

November 26th, 2006, 3:15 am #1

Hi everyone I'm a newby in the airgun field, I'm gona buy a Gamo CFX rifle but having troubles with the calibers, wich one is best .177 or .22? I want it for plinking, target shooting and some field target and sniping but also want to dispach pests and one or two rabitts.

Is the .177 enough to take pigeons and rabbits at 40 yards from a scoped CFX?

Thank you.

Manny67.
Mexico

November 26th, 2006, 3:23 am #2

I would go with the .177 in the CFX. There is a better selection of pellets and good accuracy.

Chris

November 26th, 2006, 3:59 am #3

Hi everyone I'm a newby in the airgun field, I'm gona buy a Gamo CFX rifle but having troubles with the calibers, wich one is best .177 or .22? I want it for plinking, target shooting and some field target and sniping but also want to dispach pests and one or two rabitts.

Thank you.

Manny67.
Mexico
With any pellet gun (because the energy is so low) shot placement is premium, but even more important w/ .177 b/c the hole and wound channel created by the pellet is smaller.

Take it in strides. Practice at shorter distances until you can get rather tight groups. Expand your range as you get smaller groups. Do not take shots on game that you have not prooven you can hit. If I concentrate, I can get 4 of 5 into a hole the size of a nickel at 40yds.

Try not to take shots on game at any distance which you cannot put most all of your shots into a 1-1.5" diameter circle. My experience w/ small game and pests is that few airgun shots will provide a quick, clean kill. Obviously, this scenario is more likely w/ .177. With a cottontail, unless you hit a nickel size region of the head, just below the ear (and often even when you hit this area) there will not be a clean kill. The heart is a little bigger, but it's difficult to know exactly where it will be when the rabbit is in various positions. Even then a hit to the heart will allow the rabbit to run for a little while.

Basically, .22 is vastly superior at taking pests and game, more energy, more energy on target, more energy transmitted into the target and a larger wound. 15fpe in a .22 is adequate, but in .177 the pellet will travel all the way through the cottontail,(unless it hits bone) even at 40yds.

I know my post is very jumbled and probably nonsensical, but practice shooting and restaint until you have prooven you can make the shot needed, and then be prepared for the shot to not kill immediately.

Oh, just for some perspective .22 rimfire puts out around 150fpe, my CFX does a touch less than 15fpe.

November 26th, 2006, 4:28 am #4

talking about field target and sniping the .22 CFX is good as an entry level or should I take the .177 best?

Maybe I'm asking to much for the .177, but don't know.

The .22 has more punch but I think has more drop at longer shots.

I want the CFX for plinking, paper punching,field target,sniping and for taking pests in this order.

Best regards.

Manny
Mexico

November 26th, 2006, 4:32 am #5

Thank you.

Manny67.
Mexico
Yes the .177 is the only way to go unless you order one from England, .22 new CFX's are no longer improted.
The .177 CFX is just fine for what you intend to do, makes a great hunting and target rifle.

Round nose pellets seem to be the best hunting and target pellet, pointed pellets never have shot very well in most rifles because of the manfacturing tolarances in them, if the point is just a few thousands off center the pellet won't fly straight.

The CFX will take rabbits and squrrels out to 40 yards, and at 40 yards the CFX should and will group pellets under 1 inch.

The CFX is a good choice just enjoy it and pracice with it before trying a long shot on game. CFX's like superdomes, FTS's and JSB Exacts those are the pellets most use in the CFX.

November 26th, 2006, 4:44 am #6

talking about field target and sniping the .22 CFX is good as an entry level or should I take the .177 best?

Maybe I'm asking to much for the .177, but don't know.

The .22 has more punch but I think has more drop at longer shots.

I want the CFX for plinking, paper punching,field target,sniping and for taking pests in this order.

Best regards.

Manny
Mexico
Just don't be suprised when it is lacking in the arena of hunting/pest control. If you start hunting or doing alot of pest control, you will likely want to get a .22 to more adequately dispatch your quarry.
Last edited by gmany on November 26th, 2006, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 27th, 2006, 9:14 am #7

Thank you.

Manny67.
Mexico
nt

November 27th, 2006, 4:44 pm #8

Thank you.

Manny67.
Mexico
The other guys will agree with me that .177 is the way to go for target practice and light, short range hunting.

4-5 months deciding on a rifle/caliber is just too much. just buy it and enjoy it.

Thanks...
Joe...

November 27th, 2006, 5:02 pm #9

Hey Joe take it easy amigo please, yes I've been asking,wondering and seeking for an air rifle, in the Mexican forum, here and were ever I want. I need to be sure and make the right desicion for MY MONEY.

Thanx God you have good rifles and have the money to buy several ones, I haven't my friend, so I need to be very sure about my move and purchase.

Thank you very much for all the info you gave me but please stop bother me in the forums I visit, it's my thing for asking, and let me continue in my search and askins please.

Best regards.

Manny

November 27th, 2006, 6:50 pm #10

But gets kind of annoying when you post 5-7 times the same question over and over and over and over again.

EVERYONE will agree that there is NO perfect rifle, well actually the BEST rife is the one you currently own, untill you get a new one.

And for your budget there is no going around. A CFX will do more than fine.
Can't get a RWS/Diana, A CFX .177 is better than a break barrel for target shooting, and has enough power for taking small game @ short ranges.

And a CFX is better than your other budget options which would be a Crosman Quest, Remington Summit, Benji 392,397 etc.. (IF you can find them where you live in South Mexico)

What else is there to think? Just buy the damned thing and shoot it =)

Thanks...
Joe...

Just for the record this is what they cost in Mexico.
A CFX and/or Hunter 440 is around 250-270 USD
A Benji 392 is 270 USD
Diana 350 around 500USD shipped.