My Suzuki Savage "Big Single"

My Suzuki Savage "Big Single"

March 21st, 2012, 11:59 pm #1

HEY!

Here's a shot of a real fun bike I used to own...a 652cc Suzuki Savage "Big Single".

This thumper was a ball to ride slowly, and could climb hills easily in higher gears because of that long stroke (3.7") single cylinder engine.

I had it up to 50 once (although top speed is rated at 95 by the factory), but the rest of my riding was on neighborhood or traffic-free secondary Desert roads at no more than 35 mph.

My favorite sport was to let it come down to an idle in 3rd gear (about 8 mph), then give it full throttle and feel the power strokes of that 94mm x 94mm Big Single kick the bike forward (thump-thump-thump) at a slow count until I got up to my favorite speed of 30-35 mph!

Feeling those torque "kicks" was fun for me!

Some riders like to wind their bikes up to redline, but I'm just the opposite...I like to be able to COUNT those "torquey" power strokes!

The first shot shows the bike factory stock, but the second shows the steel struts I made to replace the rear suspension, lowering the bike 4 inches in the rear. I also replaced the stock silencer with one from a Sportster.

I sold the machine just before turning 70 years old, which really pleased my wife!

Hal

Last edited by tracer69 on March 22nd, 2012, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 22nd, 2012, 12:53 am #2

Know guns, Know peace, know liberty.
No guns, no peace no liberty.

March 22nd, 2012, 1:31 am #3

HEY!

Here's a shot of a real fun bike I used to own...a 652cc Suzuki Savage "Big Single".

This thumper was a ball to ride slowly, and could climb hills easily in higher gears because of that long stroke (3.7") single cylinder engine.

I had it up to 50 once (although top speed is rated at 95 by the factory), but the rest of my riding was on neighborhood or traffic-free secondary Desert roads at no more than 35 mph.

My favorite sport was to let it come down to an idle in 3rd gear (about 8 mph), then give it full throttle and feel the power strokes of that 94mm x 94mm Big Single kick the bike forward (thump-thump-thump) at a slow count until I got up to my favorite speed of 30-35 mph!

Some riders like to wind their bikes up to redline, but I'm just the opposite...I like to be able to COUNT those "torquey" power strokes!

The first shot shows the bike factory stock, but the second shows the steel struts I made to replace the rear suspension, lowering the bike 4 inches in the rear. I also replaced the stock silencer with one from a Sportster.

I sold the machine just before turning 70 years old, which really pleased my wife!

Hal

Have only seen one in person, a very underated bike that never really caught on around here. Another of my favorites is the Honda GB 500. At the time, they couldnt give em away, now its a cllectors item..IF you can even find one to collect. I like your thumper !

March 22nd, 2012, 12:05 pm #4

HEY!

Hal

Wish I had gotten one of the Srx 600 yamahas. I rented one in New Zealand and what a blast. Like a
Bultaco Metralla with the torque of a Sportster..

Of course nostalgia isn't exactly 20/20 and the current Beemer can run rings around them.

Last edited by 22MK1 on March 22nd, 2012, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 22nd, 2012, 2:23 pm #5

HEY!

Hal

middle of April till end of August.

I drive ~90 miles round trip to work each day.....at 3.65 a gallon, that is 12 dollars a day in a honda accord, even more in my cavalier (work ride), and dont bother with a half-ton..whew.

If I stay out of the throttle and keep it below 55-50, I can make the trip 3 times for around 7 bucks, so to work and back all week for less than 14 dollars....not hard to do the math. Plus its a nice, quiet relaxing ride.

No mods, like the Dyna muffler, or anything. Yellow/blue pipe

Think mine is an 04" a year or so before they started calling it the S40.

Low-low expense bike, that can putt two people around nicely at 55 for a short while. Good power for a 190lb man.

Will do 90-100, but feels like you are riding a paint shaker at that speed.

God bless,

Farmer
Last edited by VAFarmer on March 22nd, 2012, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 22nd, 2012, 8:40 pm #6

HEY!

Hal

You look like you stole it from the neighbor's kids haha

Harv

March 23rd, 2012, 12:45 am #7

But dammit...it was a ball to ride, and I just love them big, torquey Singles!

Still, the bike weighed about 350, and I was only 220...

I actually owned TWO Suzuki Savages...here's my first one: (The final one was black)

Howell

March 23rd, 2012, 12:55 am #8

There's another model.. the bigger one. Came in two flavors. Big twin and one of them was liquid cooled. Intruder I think it was? I came soooo close to getting one a couple times. They really are nice machines. Liquid cooled, shaft drive... big enough tanks and Suzuki quality and reliability.

You picked a nice model from a great company.

Harv

March 23rd, 2012, 1:42 am #9

I hated it...too damn much power!

I couldn't relax! One handful of that throttle nearly gave me a stroke!

I don't want a sickle that SCARES me...I want one that's a civilized gentleman that I can cruise with at 30-35 mph on off-roads.

Hallington

March 24th, 2012, 1:33 am #10

But dammit...it was a ball to ride, and I just love them big, torquey Singles!

Still, the bike weighed about 350, and I was only 220...

I actually owned TWO Suzuki Savages...here's my first one: (The final one was black)

Howell
gotta mess w/ ya while the messin is good.