my new centerpoint 4-16x40AOMDIR

my new centerpoint 4-16x40AOMDIR

-bp

June 4th, 2012, 2:55 am #1

since my last centerpoint wouldn't hold zero, and the folks at crosman treated me as if i was the most important customer they've ever dealt with, they'll be shipping my replacement scope shortly. it is slightly different, in that it no longer has locking rings, to lock your turret settings. to me, that's no big deal.

since i need a second scope, and i now know how well crosman stands behind their products, i went out friday night and bought another scope, identical to the one they're sending me (one for the R-9, and one for the B-26).

yesterday and today i put the new scope through its paces on the R9, which is shooting just under 15ft pounds.

i set it a zero at 10 yards, then noted all the holdovers at each 5 yard disance to 55 yards. then i went back to 10 yards and checked that my holdovers were still as written. they were. then i did it again, and they still were right on the distances i got the first time.

i went to bed happy and got up this am and stared over.

the 10 yard setting was right on the money. so were the rest, right up to 55 yards. then i checked all the settings again. and again. darkness fell, and i went into the house very happy. this is the stuff that expensive scopes are made of.

the optics are fine, the mechanics are fine, the price is really fine, and the service can't be beat

in a perfect world, the POI is the same as the POA.

well, it comes close. the difference is my doing.

hooray for crosman

June 4th, 2012, 10:37 pm #2

Hey Bill,
Which scope did you test? The one with non locking turrets and a straight objective end, our the one with the slanted objective end? I read there are some differences...

-bp

June 5th, 2012, 1:29 am #3

front focus, straight objective end.

their newer (and i guess 'improved') model has the non-locking turrets. i never cared for the locks, because they locked the turrets and not the crosshairs

after two days of continuous shooting (maybe 500 shots) there was no zero shift at any of the distances from 10y to 50y in 5y increments. that included first shot of the day, coming out of an airconditioned kitchen into a nice warm summer day, then with the gun resting in the bright sun, then in the deep shade.

this is one i bought after crosman told me they were going to ship me a replacement as soon as one became available. i needed a 2nd scope anyway, and i wanted to shoot this weekend. i felt that if they were confident enough that this replacement would solve my problem, i was confident enough to go buy one while the replacement was enroute. i am not disappointed.

it's sharp, bright, and won't rangefind any better (or any worse) than any other scope with the same magnification and objective diameter. even a swarovski would have identical depth of field.

-bp