My new BAM B51-D should get here in a week!!!!

My new BAM B51-D should get here in a week!!!!

November 2nd, 2010, 9:27 pm #1

realize I am about four years behind a lot of you fellas but finally came into enough funds to improve the airgun herd.

To compliment my B40s, B28, B25 a PCP from BAM will pretty welcome.

Gotta go through the tune and testing that a few lads did when the B50 was released back in '06? IIRC.

Looking forward to winter playing.

Walter....

November 2nd, 2010, 10:52 pm #2

.. after you tune it up (and here are great tutorials on-line). the on-line stuff makes a hell of a lot more sense when you have a gun in your lap, but read though them anyway. I only joined the BAM 51 team a few months ago, but it's already a "go to gun".

Look forward to your evaluation.

November 3rd, 2010, 12:57 am #3

I do have a friends B51 .22 here with me so kinda know what to expect.

This one has a reg in it now and some barrel prepping but still not real happy with accuracy.

Once I have mine to compare and find the diet they like. This one so far doesn't like the Benjamin HP Discovery pellets that is for sure.

What all have you worked over on yours? what is its favorite pellet?

Walter....

November 3rd, 2010, 2:19 am #4

...at the transfer port at first, which i didn't discovery at first. Even with that burr slicing the pellet as it was chambered, would shoot JSB 15.8gr. well. How it shot pellets with a bit taken out of them at all is the mystery. Cured of that problem, it shoots almost anything of good quality pretty well (but still likes the medium weight JSB best).

Adjustments inside the rifle are a bit odd in comparison to other PCP's. Most of it centers on the striker(hammer):
1. There is a screw on the nose of the striker, by moving that in or out can change the stroke of the striker (screw in = longer distance traveled before hitting valve stem).
2. The striker is a close fit to the air tube. Close enough that thee is a vent hole at the front to carry off compressed air that would slow it's movement. Be sure that hole is clear.
3. Inside the striker is a very large spring guide. It is more like the top-hat of a springer in that it fits inside of the striker moves with it. It needs the weight to work at full pressure/full possible power. Reducing the weight of that spring guide/top hat is the easiest way to get it running at lower pressure.

On the plus side:
1. the polish/blue of the metal is as good as guns costing several times as much.
2. the air tube is quite thick walled and heavy...may not be a plus, and thickness doesn't always equal strength, so that's a debatable "plus".
3. the breech is held on by 4 allen screws and has a big foot print to the air tube; it's a solid/stable set up.
4. the WHOLE barrel/breech/bolt assembly comes off in one chunk, so even if you take it apart and put it together, it tends to stay pretty close to sight in.
5. trigger can be adjusted to a quite nice pull.

On the other side:
1. the thick tube tends to make for a heavy rifle.
2. the stock shape of the 51 almost forces a high scope mount (my philosophy is that if you're going to jack up the scope in a high mount, may as well use a big objective scope to make use of that height).
3. the oddly shaped brass cocking piece does not lend itself to cycling the bolt from the shoulder (you'll just smack yourself in the nose if you try).
4. typical of Chinese products, the stocks are quite variable.

November 3rd, 2010, 10:16 pm #5

like it was drill into the barrel as the last operation with a dull drill.

Made up a reamer to give a leade that removed the burr to 0.225" diameter and a gentle ramping into the rifling after that. Did not want to remove the barrel so did it that way. Then made up a lap to polish it a bit.

I think I need to try better pellets than the current Crosmans and Daisy pellets.

Walter....

November 4th, 2010, 12:27 am #6

..bleive they put the barrel/breech assembly together (glue) and then drill the transfer port. Only way that makes sense considering the burr. Not too hard to cure, and once the barrel breech area is burr-free, they seem to shoot quite well.

To do that lap work, had to have remove the bolt. While i've not had nay problem with mine, can't help but notice how thin the bolt is and how larger the tapped hole for the locking part of the bolt. Not a lot of metal left around that tapped hole, and I'd suspect that the occasional bolt has failed at that thin spot. I'd avoid spring settings that require strong/yanking bolt opening.

November 4th, 2010, 9:49 pm #7

realize I am about four years behind a lot of you fellas but finally came into enough funds to improve the airgun herd.

Gotta go through the tune and testing that a few lads did when the B50 was released back in '06? IIRC.

Walter....
Walter,

Did you ever get a chance to build a new improved firing valve for the B51? We corresponded by email about this several months ago.

November 6th, 2010, 5:26 am #8

I'll make you one when I rip into the new toy

Sorry kinda forgot about that.....

Will make you a doozy

Walter....

November 8th, 2010, 10:25 pm #9

Walter....
looking forward to checking out my new girl.

Walter....

November 9th, 2010, 8:13 pm #10

..bleive they put the barrel/breech assembly together (glue) and then drill the transfer port. Only way that makes sense considering the burr. Not too hard to cure, and once the barrel breech area is burr-free, they seem to shoot quite well.

To do that lap work, had to have remove the bolt. While i've not had nay problem with mine, can't help but notice how thin the bolt is and how larger the tapped hole for the locking part of the bolt. Not a lot of metal left around that tapped hole, and I'd suspect that the occasional bolt has failed at that thin spot. I'd avoid spring settings that require strong/yanking bolt opening.
so need some dressin' up for sure....
Gonna get some now