My Marauder stock is now finished

My Marauder stock is now finished

March 13th, 2011, 12:46 am #1

Last year I picked up a Marauder that had a botched bedding job and an after market barrel in .177. I was told the barrel is a LW barrel which played a big part of the decision to buy it but I also felt sorry for the guy because I know what a bad bedding job is -- so I got my first PCP. I have had enough experience with bedding that I thought I could re-bed it. Initially I thought I would bed just the action and free float the tube but changed my mind later and added a pad in the forend to support the tube.

The stock had some gouges from the seller digging the action out of the initial bedding (glued in) and the stock didn't fit me very well so I thought I would reshape it and redo the finish after it was bedded. I chopped the forend back and cut some cavities out to lighten it up a little. On hind sight, if I was to do it again, I think I would make it a little longer but this will do.

In addition to cutting the forend shorter, I removed the right cheek rest and the bottom logo. I also replaced the trigger since the original was broken during shipping with a set-back trigger from Tim Einck (very nice).

I used a blend of water based dye on the stock to get more color and tried a different finishing oil which didn't cure like I am used to seeing. I eventually blended the oil with TruOil since that cures pretty fast and it came out pretty good.

Now to see how it does in the field (smile)...

March 13th, 2011, 3:46 am #2

looking good.

239 RABBITS 83 PIGEONS 34 SQUIRRELS 50 CROWS 4 GROUND HOGS.

AA 410 22. FAC BULLPUP
MARAUDER 25. BULLPUP
22.P-ROD BULLPUP

March 13th, 2011, 4:26 am #3

Last year I picked up a Marauder that had a botched bedding job and an after market barrel in .177. I was told the barrel is a LW barrel which played a big part of the decision to buy it but I also felt sorry for the guy because I know what a bad bedding job is -- so I got my first PCP. I have had enough experience with bedding that I thought I could re-bed it. Initially I thought I would bed just the action and free float the tube but changed my mind later and added a pad in the forend to support the tube.

The stock had some gouges from the seller digging the action out of the initial bedding (glued in) and the stock didn't fit me very well so I thought I would reshape it and redo the finish after it was bedded. I chopped the forend back and cut some cavities out to lighten it up a little. On hind sight, if I was to do it again, I think I would make it a little longer but this will do.

In addition to cutting the forend shorter, I removed the right cheek rest and the bottom logo. I also replaced the trigger since the original was broken during shipping with a set-back trigger from Tim Einck (very nice).

I used a blend of water based dye on the stock to get more color and tried a different finishing oil which didn't cure like I am used to seeing. I eventually blended the oil with TruOil since that cures pretty fast and it came out pretty good.

i'm going to use you for a copy.very nice the way you saved some of checkering.

March 14th, 2011, 2:35 am #4

Well Done !!! n/t

March 14th, 2011, 3:35 am #5

Gun looks great. love the stock

March 14th, 2011, 11:56 am #6

The rifle looks updated and cool ,BTW whats the trigger mod ? is it back set and stops over travel?

March 14th, 2011, 4:28 pm #7

was bought because the original blade was broken in half upon arrival plus I have shorter fingers. I have shot other set-back triggers on a few "R" series HW guns and loved them. Over travel was not a consideration but I guess one could drill and tap the blade or the guard to achieve this if desired.

By the way -- thanks for the kind words.