My homemade discovery stock - pic heavy.

My homemade discovery stock - pic heavy.

August 4th, 2012, 7:48 pm #1

Finally finished my first stock. Bought a used Disco on the Yellow, decide to put a better stock on it.

Made by hand tools only, since that is all I have access to. A drill, hand held jig saw, a dremel, sandpaper, and a few hand rasps. Wanted to see if I can make a stock by hand. Was able to pull this off in about 3 weeks.

Not perfect, but I was debating on doing this for a while since I wasn't sure if it was possible with limited tools. Tried to find how to do it online, with limited information available (like how to do the inletting). Finally took the plunge just so I can see if it is even possible.

Using maple plank from Home Depot $35

Cut 3 identical pieces with hand held jig saw, then glued and clamped with gorilla glue

Sanded flush to make a poor mans stock blank

Inletted using hand drill, dremel to widen the holes, then hand rasp. Barrel channel made with sandpaper around a toilet plunger handle.

Thumb hole made the same way. drill, dremel, then rasp.

Then hand rasp for contouring

Contouring done.

Sanding and finishing. No stains.

Finished off with Bisley recoil pad

With the gun mounted on.

Then I went and shot it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lVOzVLc ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Pchen1 on August 4th, 2012, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 4th, 2012, 9:24 pm #2

Beautiful work....you may have missed your calling!!!

Brian

August 4th, 2012, 10:18 pm #3

Thanks.

After having done this, I can safely say that whatever the custom stock maker charges for their work is a bargain.

Be it $500 $600 or whatever they charge for a custom marauder or a disco stock, it's worth every penny. Excellent bargains in fact. After going through the amount of work, I can certainly appreciate the value in a good custom stock much better.

There is no way I can do this for a living. You can make them if you love doing it, but you can't do it to get rich.

August 4th, 2012, 11:30 pm #4

Yes, you know it! The amount of work put in to these kinds of projects is in fact pretty incredible isn't it But man, yours looks like a very nice stock. Action looks nice put into the in letting just about 1/4 or so.
Take care, great stuff. If you also have a Marauder, I am going to be manufacturing BULL PUP KITS for the Marauder. My website should be up and running with info and concept drawings, of the same.
Best Regards, Jessie

Jessie

August 5th, 2012, 5:01 pm #5

Finally finished my first stock. Bought a used Disco on the Yellow, decide to put a better stock on it.

Made by hand tools only, since that is all I have access to. A drill, hand held jig saw, a dremel, sandpaper, and a few hand rasps. Wanted to see if I can make a stock by hand. Was able to pull this off in about 3 weeks.

Not perfect, but I was debating on doing this for a while since I wasn't sure if it was possible with limited tools. Tried to find how to do it online, with limited information available (like how to do the inletting). Finally took the plunge just so I can see if it is even possible.

Cut 3 identical pieces with hand held jig saw, then glued and clamped with gorilla glue

Inletted using hand drill, dremel to widen the holes, then hand rasp. Barrel channel made with sandpaper around a toilet plunger handle.

Contouring done.

With the gun mounted on.

Then I went and shot it:

Gives me some confidence to try something similar for my QB78. The largest maple board that Home Depot shows on their website is a 1x6. Is that what you used? The stock looks deeper than 5 1/2 inches.

August 5th, 2012, 6:28 pm #6

Near my house has a variety of sizes. The one I used was a 7' plank of 3/4" x 12". I also end up with about a foot extra for making a pistol grip for my 2240.

They were about $6 per linear ft.

August 5th, 2012, 9:36 pm #7

Contouring done.

With the gun mounted on.

Then I went and shot it:

... I've built a few stocks but I do most of the inletting with power tools. You are my hero for the day 8)

August 6th, 2012, 1:23 am #8

Contouring done.

With the gun mounted on.

Then I went and shot it:

Paul
all it takes is the will power as you have shown

August 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm #9

Thanks.

After having done this, I can safely say that whatever the custom stock maker charges for their work is a bargain.

Be it $500 $600 or whatever they charge for a custom marauder or a disco stock, it's worth every penny. Excellent bargains in fact. After going through the amount of work, I can certainly appreciate the value in a good custom stock much better.

There is no way I can do this for a living. You can make them if you love doing it, but you can't do it to get rich.
<p>If it is, the next one will be much easier. Not any less work, but now you have real world experience taht will steer you around some of the issues and pitfalss you may have had with this one.</p><p>And Like you, having crafted a few stocks over the year, the price the custom guys charge is _way_ too low. </p><p>Looks great! </p>

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

August 6th, 2012, 10:02 pm #10

My very first.

Right after this, I went and made a set of pistol grips for my 2240 using leftover wood. That was definitely easier. But probably because it really was easier.