mount screws

mount screws

September 6th, 2006, 11:49 pm #1

Is there someplace to purchase those "thin head" cap screws they use on scope mounts and rings?

When I tighten them up, they seem to have a loose fit compared to regular ones, and I spin them round.

I try to re-use them, but that's always a mistake.

?????

***** I meant to put this in the general forum, but I forgot where I was when this question occurred to me.
Last edited by achyles on September 6th, 2006, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 7th, 2006, 1:49 am #2

cap screws for your forstock while you're there. You might need to take a bit off the forstock screws with a dremel.

September 7th, 2006, 2:36 am #3

Home depot, Lowes, etc. they have a supply of metric cap screws.

September 7th, 2006, 9:48 am #4

I'm looking for metrics with the peculiar smaller diameter head that are used for the scopes. You don't find these in a hardware store.

I have a selection of metric capscrews myself, and if I had my lathe/grinder setup instead of a guestroom, I might be able to grind down the cap's diameter to fit and blacken them with magic-marker. I tried chucking one in a Foredom against a grinder, but they are too small to do it successfully

No one, even the local gunsmith, has any of these that aren't in a set of mounts.

I'm considering buying some cheap rings just for the screws, but it seems silly that I should have to do this.

September 7th, 2006, 3:36 pm #5

extra screws in the pkg.

September 7th, 2006, 8:22 pm #6

I'm looking for metrics with the peculiar smaller diameter head that are used for the scopes. You don't find these in a hardware store.

I have a selection of metric capscrews myself, and if I had my lathe/grinder setup instead of a guestroom, I might be able to grind down the cap's diameter to fit and blacken them with magic-marker. I tried chucking one in a Foredom against a grinder, but they are too small to do it successfully

No one, even the local gunsmith, has any of these that aren't in a set of mounts.

I'm considering buying some cheap rings just for the screws, but it seems silly that I should have to do this.

I just retap the holes to SAE threads and install stainless socket head cap screws.

September 8th, 2006, 1:26 am #7

It's the conterbore for the screw heads that are causing the problems.
Without a miller, it's not easy to bore them bigger, even if the IS room enough, which, in this cas, there isn't.