Modern car fuel efficiency

Modern car fuel efficiency

March 14th, 2012, 2:46 am #1

If the 1986 Doge Colt I once owned got 42mpg (actual)highway, with a carburetor, not fuel injection, no computer, them why do modern cars all suck when it comes to gas mileage? Show me one that gets 48+mpg and I'll be impressed. my dodge is long gone, just questioning modern car fuel efficiency . My 2006 Suzuki Forenza gets 28mpg highway on a good day. My 59 Chevy 4dr. Belair, that weighed just shy of 2 tons, (3940lbs.), got 25mpg!

Know guns, Know peace, know liberty.
No guns, no peace no liberty.

March 14th, 2012, 2:58 am #2

In those days your Colt ran on straight gas. And it probably had less emissions controls on it.

I had an '89 Plymouth Horizon 2.2 stick which could easily take me from Minneapolis to Milwaukee on one tank of fuel. I could pull 45 mpg out of that thing if I drove it right.

Check out what small Hondas and other subcompacts were getting for mileage in, say.. the nineteen nineties.

Harv

March 14th, 2012, 3:37 am #3

Get up to 43.5 mpg.. and typically did 41, and that was with a multibarrel electronic feedback carburetor.. no EFI. I have to laugh today when car ads tout "up to 40 mpg". Give me a break. We were exceeding that over 25 years ago. My buddy had and old VW Rabbit diesel that did 55 mpg.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

March 14th, 2012, 3:50 am #4

If the 1986 Doge Colt I once owned got 42mpg (actual)highway, with a carburetor, not fuel injection, no computer, them why do modern cars all suck when it comes to gas mileage? Show me one that gets 48+mpg and I'll be impressed. my dodge is long gone, just questioning modern car fuel efficiency . My 2006 Suzuki Forenza gets 28mpg highway on a good day. My 59 Chevy 4dr. Belair, that weighed just shy of 2 tons, (3940lbs.), got 25mpg!

Stock Model with Option PKG 2 accessories & weight.
It has the "automatic" DSG transmission.
Some of the older models get even better mileage.

Lifetime average is 38.2 mpg (mixed highway/city driving).
I have receipts and manually calculate the mileage. I fuel the car the same way each time. I have reprogrammed/recalibrated the onboard computer to be pretty close to actual.
Driving while seeing the instantaneous mpg on the dashboard display helps a lot and it the best tool to reprogram your brain and feet.

Some abnormal trips (i.e. driving very nicely and not normally)

March 2006 Bought car
March 2006 591 miles at 47.4 mpg
April 2006 464 miles at 46.4 mpg
May 2006 383 miles at 30.0 mpg (deliberate attempt shooting for lowest possible mpg and lots of fun driving; 5000 miles on odometer)
Nov 2007 425 miles at 45.0 mpg with 28,000 miles on the odometer

ALL of the above trips were with the Air Conditioning ON.
The way I drive, most tanks are in the high 30s/ low 40s mpg, thus the lifetime average of 38.2 mpg.

It's a good little car, and have had minimal problems to date. I figure that once I hit 100,000 miles I'll start coming out ahead in terms of maintenance costs and fuel--although I did have one pricey repair (replacing the dual mass flywheel in the DSG transmission). I never go to the dealership and do my own repairs or visit a "TDI Guru Mechanic" when/if necessary to save $$$ and to ensure the work is done properly. It's paid off so I don't mind investing a car payment or two each year for preventive and unscheduled maintenance.

Now that we're back in Colorado, we're looking at getting a SUV 4WD ....a Toyota 2009+ FJ Cruiser(#2) or 4Runner(#1) are top contenders at the moment due to reliability and capability. Wife wants an SUV to be able to get around in the snow during the winters. Additionally, our 2001 E150 (zero problems, great vehicle, but bad mileage) has the ground clearance, but just doesn't do so well off road in the mountains when we go camping / snowmobiling / fishing, etc with the kids.

Would love any feedback on this? Sorry, but jeeps aren't reliable enough (my brother has two, a top of the line loaded Grand Cherokee and a Liberty, and he and his jeep buds are always fixing and working on their jeeps).

Chris

Chris__Colorado
Practice Autodidacticism!
Turn off the TV. Read.
For access to the Airgun Reference Library Access (>6GB), please email me.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/417256/m ... ce+Library
Remember Freedom is not Free
Please donate.
http://www.fisherhouse.org/
http://www.uso.org/

March 14th, 2012, 3:58 am #5

Catalytic Converters, Modern engine Fuel/Air ratios, Ethanol substitutes, Fuel additives, Additional pollution controls, Vehicle weight.
Blond drivers are getting dumber.

March 14th, 2012, 3:59 am #6

Stock Model with Option PKG 2 accessories & weight.
It has the "automatic" DSG transmission.
Some of the older models get even better mileage.

Lifetime average is 38.2 mpg (mixed highway/city driving).
I have receipts and manually calculate the mileage. I fuel the car the same way each time. I have reprogrammed/recalibrated the onboard computer to be pretty close to actual.
Driving while seeing the instantaneous mpg on the dashboard display helps a lot and it the best tool to reprogram your brain and feet.

Some abnormal trips (i.e. driving very nicely and not normally)

March 2006 Bought car
March 2006 591 miles at 47.4 mpg
April 2006 464 miles at 46.4 mpg
May 2006 383 miles at 30.0 mpg (deliberate attempt shooting for lowest possible mpg and lots of fun driving; 5000 miles on odometer)
Nov 2007 425 miles at 45.0 mpg with 28,000 miles on the odometer

ALL of the above trips were with the Air Conditioning ON.
The way I drive, most tanks are in the high 30s/ low 40s mpg, thus the lifetime average of 38.2 mpg.

It's a good little car, and have had minimal problems to date. I figure that once I hit 100,000 miles I'll start coming out ahead in terms of maintenance costs and fuel--although I did have one pricey repair (replacing the dual mass flywheel in the DSG transmission). I never go to the dealership and do my own repairs or visit a "TDI Guru Mechanic" when/if necessary to save $$$ and to ensure the work is done properly. It's paid off so I don't mind investing a car payment or two each year for preventive and unscheduled maintenance.

Now that we're back in Colorado, we're looking at getting a SUV 4WD ....a Toyota 2009+ FJ Cruiser(#2) or 4Runner(#1) are top contenders at the moment due to reliability and capability. Wife wants an SUV to be able to get around in the snow during the winters. Additionally, our 2001 E150 (zero problems, great vehicle, but bad mileage) has the ground clearance, but just doesn't do so well off road in the mountains when we go camping / snowmobiling / fishing, etc with the kids.

Would love any feedback on this? Sorry, but jeeps aren't reliable enough (my brother has two, a top of the line loaded Grand Cherokee and a Liberty, and he and his jeep buds are always fixing and working on their jeeps).

Chris

Chris__Colorado
Practice Autodidacticism!
Turn off the TV. Read.
For access to the Airgun Reference Library Access (>6GB), please email me.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/417256/m ... ce+Library
Remember Freedom is not Free
Please donate.
http://www.fisherhouse.org/
http://www.uso.org/
I have a 2003 4Runner V8 that gets + 21 MPG on the highway level ground. 87 Octane. Does best around 65 degrees ambient. billinmd

March 14th, 2012, 4:00 am #7

Today's automobiles are far more rigid than those of the past and they meet far tighter crash and other safety tests.

Others have already mentioned emission controls.

Ethanol gas too.

Way more power.
Last edited by gmany on March 14th, 2012, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2012, 4:22 am #8

Still, I don't know. We had a 1980 Dodge Omni, the sport hatchback, not the box on wheels. It had a 1.7 liter from the Volkswagen Dasher. Automatic transmission. While it certainly wouldn't win any races, we drove it from outside Washington, DC to New Orleans and then up the East Coast back home. It gave up nothing in highway cruising and moved around town fair enough. I never thought I was driving something anemic. And it got pretty good gas mileage, too, while laboring under clean air constraints. So, why have we come only so far in the last thirty-odd years? And it's laughable when the commercials tout thirty or forty mpg because it's always highway miles. Who drives on an interstate all of the time? They never say what the in town mileage will be. You could probably gear up an old Corvette to get thirty mpg on the freeway.

Last edited by RedFeather on March 14th, 2012, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2012, 5:33 am #9

air bags front and side, crash standards few cars of 30 years ago could meet(maybe Volvos..and they aren't known for good mileage or performance either)

Look at the test weights of most new cars, and compare to 30 years ago (and weights were already climbing by then)
Last edited by classicalgas on March 14th, 2012, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2012, 5:45 am #10

About 4 months ago, and it just didn't fit our needs. So we traded it in for a Serento, the gas mileage is about 5-6 MPG less but we love having the extra room. What we traded in on the soul was a equnox we just couldn't go that small. So now we are back to higher price to drive but still better than the equnox 50% city 50% highway average 25 MPG most our driving is highway for the most part.