Missing more than ever, Never been so happy.

Missing more than ever, Never been so happy.

March 23rd, 2012, 1:41 am #1

Bought a Gamo target last week and I've been missing the h*ll out of him. Couldn't be more pleased.

Because it means I'm not the shot I thought I was.

Shooting tiny groups is intoxicating fools play. Hector M. was right. It's self-impressive. It's just a dressed up "Close is close enough" mentality.

But when you miss on the squirrel it's a miss plain and simple. There is no "close enough", it's miss or hit, simple as that.

Miss

Or

Hit.

So it forces you to bolster your discipline, pay more attention to the details, cater to the breezes,

Become a better shot.

Gadzooks, I enjoy this sport!

Appel

March 23rd, 2012, 2:30 am #2

lots of paper at 5 yards increments from 10- 55 yards, especially on windy days... sure leave your gamo out there too out past 40, so after you learn the wind on paper, you can start dropping him more often:-)

Shooting at all those distances in the wind, will show you the small amounts you get blown at short distances and the extreme amounts you can get blown at the mid and long range shots. Also note that berms and valleys will create up and down drafts, so notice the surroundings of the target.

Shooting bench rest at 25M and 50 yards has really given me more confidence to hold outside the killzone.. and how to read the wind conditions.

Welcome to loads of fun and really great folks to share time with..

Wacky Wayne Burns,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

March 23rd, 2012, 6:15 am #3

Bought a Gamo target last week and I've been missing the h*ll out of him. Couldn't be more pleased.

Shooting tiny groups is intoxicating fools play. Hector M. was right. It's self-impressive. It's just a dressed up "Close is close enough" mentality.

But when you miss on the squirrel it's a miss plain and simple. There is no "close enough", it's miss or hit, simple as that.

Miss

Or

Hit.

So it forces you to bolster your discipline, pay more attention to the details, cater to the breezes,

Become a better shot.

Appel

it takes both kinds of shooting to optimize your skill. i do both and when i practice on metal i don't bother to paint the paddle a different color than the face plate. It is very different shooting at an expance of white with a white killzone than shooting a point on a target. Of course the kill zone does not stay white very long. I use a five killzone biathlon target and paint it stark white all over. I have a cardboard box sitting on top of it with 1.5" circles with a 1/4" square aimpoint in it. When i want to study exact wind reaction i shoot the paper. then i have three steel plinkers quad targets with small paddles. all painted white set at various unmeasured distances. i move back and forth shooting a few shots at each distance. I might end up shooting 100-200 shots in a session, maybe more.

-bp

March 23rd, 2012, 4:45 pm #4

Miss

Or

Hit.

Become a better shot.

Appel

you are half right. the squirrel doesn't let you know in which direction you missed, or how far off you were; paper does.

but as you say, if the squirrel doesn't fall, you don't get a point.

i shoot both in my yard. i'm still not so good, but both of them help me learn.

stay well out there--the badlands need people to keep them safe from hefalumps, woozels, and the occasional gamo metal squirrel.

-bp

March 24th, 2012, 12:04 am #5

Miss

Or

Hit.

Become a better shot.

Appel

Not to sidetrack from the speciffic discussion, but how many fpe have you guys been shooting your Gamo knockdowns with, and for how long?

March 24th, 2012, 3:13 am #6

We have over 100 gamos, 36, Dick Otten "Rhino Targets" and half a dozen Yegua, (Only cause Scotty doesn't make that many and he ships orders slowly).. We have worked the Gamos over, tightening the wing nuts on the faceplates with lock tight, and the string attaching bolt the same, making sure it's aligned perfectly so the linkage is centered and clears on both sides equally.

I like the fact they dent easily, cause it tells me as a Match Director, that someone is over FPE if I see damage.

I recently heard they can fall with a 20fpe hit high on the faceplate, but I haven't tested that yet. They do well at falling with a 6fpe hit at 55 yards on the KZ if they are level. I personally knock them over at 32 yards with my 4.5fpe Alpa pistol.

They are a decent target for the money, with some work.. but they aren't even close to being in the same league with Scottie's Yegua or Dick Otten "Rhino Targets".. those are some tough targets that will last many years, and don't fall with splits or face hits with even over 20fpe up close.

Wayne Burns,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

March 24th, 2012, 5:35 am #7

I ordered 2 of the Gamos tonight being only $20 a pop at PA. I wanted to start practicing some FT with hopes to find my way to a match someday. I set my S410 just under 20fpe recently, marked yardages on my scope, and made me a click chart to get started.

Hopefully 19-20fpe @ the muzzle keeps the Gamos happy at 25-50 yards.

-bp

March 26th, 2012, 8:49 pm #8

and tighten the screws, etc. every so often. also a little lube from time to time. they're pretty good, and pretty durable--especially for the money.

i hear that the replacement faceplates are thinner than the squirrels.

i mount mine to some thin (i think 4") concrete blocks, 8x16" with two screws into two (plastic) rawl plugs.

use some screws (or screws and nuts) to hold the reducers in place; they fall off if you just hang them there

-bp