Mini GTX testing. who's tried it and what do you think?

Mini GTX testing. who's tried it and what do you think?

September 10th, 2006, 5:53 pm #1

I got it in the gun last night and took a few shots w/it.
It's extremely light. At the moment I have a long first stage. I only notice the second stage if I'm squeezing real lightly and slow. There's a slightly increased pressure at the second stage, but any more movement and it fires.

I'm going to adjust it some more a little later and see how I like it. At this point I'm not sure if I'll keep it b/c it seems a little unsafe to have a trigger so light on a sporting airgun, especially one which others may shoot from time to time.

September 10th, 2006, 8:14 pm #2

...if it will only fire when you're pulling it (no matter how lightly)? That is the case with the MiniGTX. The amount of initial sear engagement - and therefore resistance to misfire - is actually greater than stock. That huge safety factor is what's being addressed during that long 1st stage pull.

Meanwhile, congrats on getting it successfully "wadded" and installed. I sincerely think that if you shoot it for awhile and let your trigger finger get used to it, you'll come to like it much better.

I know I do.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on September 10th, 2006, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 10th, 2006, 8:50 pm #3

I think I will get used to it, but I'll always have to severely warn others. I've been around when a few misfires have occured, one passing w/in a few feet of my head, mostly though, they put holes in ceilings.

If I were target shooting all the time, I'd probably reduce the first stage to almost nothing.

September 10th, 2006, 9:04 pm #4

...when pulled when there's no intention/expectation to fire?

Interesting question, I think.

Steve

September 10th, 2006, 10:19 pm #5

idea on a field gun. There's all sorts of reasons why less than 1lb is bad for a field gun. Too many factors that can cause that little blade to move. I've read that many consider 2lbs to be a good mark for field guns. I have to squeeze the trigger very lightly to feel the second stage at all. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Obviously, the blade has to move to fire the gun, and that is the purpose, but if all it takes is a very slight twitch, a tilting of the gun or a variable wind, then maybe, just maybe it's a little too light.

September 10th, 2006, 10:39 pm #6

...move the blade and fire the gun, then such a trigger is too light. But of course, at 1 pound, the GTX is nowhere near that definition of "too light." I really think there's no way to make your trigger fire without touching the blade.

But you're right anyway that not everybody likes a really light trigger in the field.

Different strokes for different folks. Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Steve

September 11th, 2006, 2:44 am #7

I got it in the gun last night and took a few shots w/it.
It's extremely light. At the moment I have a long first stage. I only notice the second stage if I'm squeezing real lightly and slow. There's a slightly increased pressure at the second stage, but any more movement and it fires.

I'm going to adjust it some more a little later and see how I like it. At this point I'm not sure if I'll keep it b/c it seems a little unsafe to have a trigger so light on a sporting airgun, especially one which others may shoot from time to time.
Copied from the main:
I realise the thread is about the "mini-GTX" mod but to address the safety concerns about the GTX trigger, I have at least 1000 rounds on a GTX-I and I have never had a mishap. The adjustments on a GTX trigger to set the sear precariously close to disengaging are also on the stock Gamo trigger so Steve's trigger doesn't offer the thrill seeker more in that regard.

My experience with the trigger has demonstrated to me that the pull weight depends to a good degree on sear load. My Rapid is easily under 1lb because the hammer load is MUCH less than a springer piston, my springers have varied with the spring and spring preload. Bending some trigger springs can alter the pull weight but it is not worth risking the functioning of the trigger for the minimal gains it would achieve.

September 11th, 2006, 2:56 am #8

Steve

September 11th, 2006, 3:50 am #9

GTX won't let the sear get set too close to disengaging.

September 11th, 2006, 3:53 am #10

...still maintains a generously safe amount of sear engagement.

Steve